Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GoddessofSnowandIce
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2008, 5:04 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/magazine/07teasing-t.html?pagewanted=all

I know that this person has a right to free speech, but so do I. And I say that whoever wrote this deserves to die.

The irony in your statement is immense. You are using abusive language towards someone who advocates "abusive" language.

I understand fully that you probably have a lot of pain and emotion that drives your statement. I'm sure all of us in this forum have been subjected to more unnecessary cruelty than most as children growing up, and even as adults. It hurts. What you are missing through your understandable anger is the point the author was trying to make.

I actually posted a topic on this a day before you did. Read my responses there (only to save me typing). Perhaps you'll see things from a different point of view, even if you still end up disagreeing.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt85152.html

Garrett
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2008, 8:56 pm

WurdBendur

I hope you're joking. Otherwise, you most be really pathetic that you came all the way over here just to insult us.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 11:54 pm

It really was a long way to move my mouse, but I am very dedicated to what I do.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 6:59 pm

slowmutant wrote:
WurdBendur wrote:
I'm a bully, and I have to disagree with all of you. Now if you'll all form a neat line, I'd like to shoot spit wads at you and steal your lunch money one at a time.

Seriously, why would you want someone to die for saying, in effect, "Eh, teasing's not so bad." You must have been really seriously teased, with bullets and electrodes, to be that vindictive.

Speaking of which, I'll have to try electrodes.

If I wanted to, I could make fun of your beard. It looks fake.

Okay people. We all have different opinions, but it doesn't mean that *any* of us need to get Nasty.

I think the OP was off mark. I think the original article wasn't as and as portrayed, and wishing harm or death on the author was unnecessary.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 2:05 am

I know what the person is trying to say. That being said, comparing satire - that is, people in less powerful positions poking fun at the rich and powerful - to someone putting a crab in another person's shorts, I think the example was, is wrongheaded. The first is not going to significantly damage the person at the end of the lampooning under most circumstances (and when it does, there's a good chance that they've done a fair amount of the damage to themselves), and could even do some social good by pointing out problems. Putting a live and possibly irate animal in one's clothes will do them harm, and serves no purpose other than to be malicious and laugh at someone else's pain.

There are other, better, kinder ways of communicating and establishing hierarchies than putting others down in order to bring oneself up. As I see it, you make fun of and therefore hurt people you don't like, and you respect and are only nice to people you do like unless they are causing you harm and you need them to stop. If other people have mutual agreements with their friends about what level of teasing is acceptable amongst them and no one crosses the line, that's fine with me. However, someone who does not appreciate being hurt has the right to ask to be kept out of it unless they've put themselves in a position where they have invited such attention (as is the case for public figures). It's all about consent - just as some people have lower tolerance for physical contact than others and should be able to ask others not to playfully punch, slap or shove them and have that respected, others perceive teasing as being no different from bullying, and this should be observed by others if stated.