Do you appear normal to the rest of the world?

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you appear normal to the rest of the world?
Yes 34%  34%  [ 36 ]
No 22%  22%  [ 23 ]
Sometimes 44%  44%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 105

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2008, 5:25 am

Very simple, do you appear normal(NT) to strangers, basically people you see walking down the street, walking in the mall, etc..., simply put, people you do not know.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 5:31 am

Not sure is my answer.

I don't think they really care, as strangers.

13 Dec 2008, 5:44 am

I voted yes. No way of knowing who is on the spectrum just by looking at them. No one will guess there is something wrong with me until they know me and see me all the time.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 5:47 am

I can appear normal for half an hour if I try hard. This is very good for job interviews and making a good impression with doctors, etc. when it's crucial. People in fact always think I'm normal at the beginning and then quickly discover I'm not and they're confused. They don't like being confused, so they take it out on me as if I'd misled them on purpose.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 5:54 am

Not sure, but it's probably "yes."

SpongeBobRocksMao!

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2008, 5:55 am

Depends on the stress level. I tend to walk real fast, that's something I try to work on, trying to obtain a more cool phase. I also feel strange in malls and in the casher, guess it have something to do with my gaze. Allways felt like i'm not able to know where to look. Passing me by on the street, I appear normal and can also do so in social events, if I'm quite relaxed. But then again, if I get tensed and stressed, I look weird

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 7:52 am

Sometimes.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 8:23 am

prillix wrote:
walking down the street, walking in the mall, etc...

If you asked me, I'd say yes, I appear normal.

But when I am indeed walking down a street or through a mall, people tend to notice me. I don't know why, but they do.

It happened less for the past year which I think may be because I'm looking into people's eyes. But when I start to talk, people still notice me.

I'm seriously not doing anything odd though! I mean, my arms swing, I walk straight, I now look people in the eye.

Palmans
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2008, 9:36 am

I appear normal, there is nothing wrong with my looks. Elder women find me charming. Men find me annoying, accept gays, that often think I'm one too. Younger women don't like me too much, i'm not the type that they are looking for. I often have feelings of hate for women of my age, hate because they completely ignore me, and when they'll get older and have other priorities, they'll love me (their mothers do)

When I engage in a chit-chat conversation with strangers they find my ideas strange and not fitting in the conversation. I avoid chitchat conversations, so with people that are not strangers I don't have them. They don't really want me in a group of friends and I don't need non-functional conversations at all, I don't see the point in saying things you don't really mean or you don't really know for sure. I read a lot, about a lot of subjects, and I fail to not mention all nuances in the thinking about one subject. People hate that.

So the answer : yes, I appear normal, for about ten minutes when engaging in conversation. If I don't say anything but hello and goodbye, I'll be unnoticed. Which is normal for 'shy' people.

ps : English is not my birth language

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 9:49 am

Most people think that I am somewhat strange...

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2008, 10:31 am

Palmans wrote:
ps : English is not my birth language

I would have never known, great spelling and grammar :)

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2008, 10:43 am

Yes and no. Sometimes I'm normal, sometimes I'm regarded as a freak.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 10:44 am

I want to click "sometimes", but... I doubt it, somehow. Maybe I look normal when I'm sleeping.
But I doubt even strangers think I'm normal, if they see me longer than a minute or so.... or even less on my "bad" or "extra stimmy" days.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2008, 10:50 am

I don't think "normal" is the right word for moi.

But it's not abnormal either.

8)

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2008, 10:53 am

Depends on the extent to which I am being myself, playing a part, or simply being quiet and observing. People who are familiar with ASDs can often tell I'm Aspie. Other people interpret me in different ways.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 11:05 am

You'd have to ask the rest of the world. :P

I'm quite sure all the people who pass me on the street wouldn't look twice, but I have been seen as strange or eccentric by some people I've been in company with. My family would probobly concur.

It would depend on the individuals definition of 'normal'. Therefore, I can't be sure.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.