*Sex Should be Provided by Govt. for AS/other Disabled*

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sexual Services Should be Provided
For all physically, socially, and mentally disabled/disordered/different 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Only for those with a mental or physical disability, ( not a social one ) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only for those with a physical disability 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Only for those with a physical or mental disability which requires the presence of a carer most of the time 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
For noone at all; sexual satisfaction is not necessary for mental health 23%  23%  [ 10 ]
For noone; the idea is morally abhorrent 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
For noone; I don't think it would be good for anyone's mental health 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Other option; please expand in thread 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 44

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2008, 1:06 pm

Now that the 10,000 year old system, ( which depended on a taboo on lone/unattached/loose women to make it work ), invented to solve the problem of "lone males", ( who used to be a menace to the peace and stability of society ), has been dismantled, and men are once again being left on the shelf, perhaps it would be a good idea for governments to provide, or pay for, sexual services for those men, ( and a few women ), who because of physical, social, or mental disability/disorder/disadvantage/difference are chronically unable to achieve a steady/regular sexual relationship.

Seeing as women do not, unless obliged by social contract/taboo, distribute themselves equally amongst all, or even most, men, but tend to prefer alpha/beta males or none at all, the alternatives seem to be coping with a growing number of indignant, miserable, depressed, frustrated men, ( who might, or might not, :wink: be a menace to the stability of society ), or providing them with what the old "loose woman" taboo once did, ( women prepared to accept any man, however unprepossessing, in order to avoid infringing the dreaded taboo, or staying at home with their parents for the rest of their lives); state-organised sexual services.

It won't solve the gene pool issue, which is that whereas the old taboo-based system meant that most men got to reproduce their genes, thus contributing to greater variety, ( some might say, weakness), of the human gene pool, the recent reversion to the "law of the jungle" means that many men are no longer passing on their genes. But at least the supposed mental and physical health problems associated with sexual frustration in the male will be avoided.

Discuss.

Last edited by ouinon on 14 Dec 2008, 4:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 1:14 pm

depends which member of the government you mean but I find all politicians equally unattractive so thanks, but no thanks.

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

13 Dec 2008, 1:19 pm

I find nothing wrong with legalized prostitution for anyone.

Here is an interesting article:
http://www.slate.com/id/2174855/

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2008, 1:21 pm

anna-banana wrote:
Depends which member of the government you mean but I find all politicians equally unattractive so thanks, but no thanks.

:lol: :roll: The thread title space was too small to put it more clearly, but I think/hope that people will know what I meant.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 1:22 pm

ouinon wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
Depends which member of the government you mean but I find all politicians equally unattractive so thanks, but no thanks.

:lol: :roll: The thread title space was too small to put it more clearly, but I think/hope that people will know what I meant.

hey I know what you meant, but couldn't help the mental picture :wink:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 1:41 pm

government has no responsibility to provide for me.

from the sounds of it, it sounds like your issues could be fixed with just having prostitution legalized. may not allow the kind of frequency you'd want with sex but it'd certainly help. either that or legalize coke...coke makes getting laid too easy.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2008, 1:43 pm

anna-banana wrote:
hey I know what you meant, but couldn't help the mental picture :wink:

:lol: I agree, it made me laugh too.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2008, 1:49 pm

skafather84 wrote:
It sounds like your issues could be fixed with just having prostitution legalized..

Well, that would be a necessary step towards providing such a service, but many people would have a problem paying for it.

And if, as some psychologists suggest, sexual activity is essential for many men's mental and physical health, then it would fall under medical care, thus appropriate for govt. subsidy.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 2:13 pm

It does seem to be a treatable malady. But the religious would never allow it. I cant seem to think of a reason why but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 2:23 pm

It is certainly an interesting idea. I would agree in principle with legalisation of prostitution. Government provided services are a bit more controversial and would have to be very strictly regulated to people who are quite severely disabled. There are several problems. One is that having a regular service like this would dissuade such people from ever seeking real relationships (and would also dissuade people who might be willing to be in relationships with such people). Another problem is people cheating the system (there are plenty of benefit cheats here - people claiming disability when in fact they are OK and just don't want to work - giving them free sex too is really too much). Then there is also a problem with public opinion. I myself see the benefits, but I can imagine that many people would not - perhaps not a vote winner for a government.

I think a better solution would be to legalise prostitution and try to destigmatise it and certainly clean it up (no trafficked women, no criminality behind it) and make it acceptable for people to use prostitutes if they have no other means of getting sex, and even go to the extent that health workers can suggest to their patients to use certain sex services if necessary, but not to actually provide it for free - if disabled people are given adequate benefit to live on, then they should be able to choose for themselves if they wish to spend it on prostitutes or on other things.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 2:28 pm

merrymadscientist wrote:
having a regular service like this would dissuade such people from ever seeking real relationships

Not necessarily. Such a system would only satisfy peoples physically needs they would still need to find a relationship to satisfy the emotional components.

merrymadscientist wrote:
I think a better solution would be to legalise prostitution and try to destigmatise it and certainly clean it up (no trafficked women, no criminality behind it) and make it acceptable for people to use prostitutes if they have no other means of getting sex, and even go to the extent that health workers can suggest to their patients to use certain sex services if necessary, but not to actually provide it for free - if disabled people are given adequate benefit to live on, then they should be able to choose for themselves if they wish to spend it on prostitutes or on other things.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Don't do anything at all
-----------

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2008, 5:17 pm

I am really dithering about this. I haven't voted yet.

I don't know if sexual activity really is necessary for mental health. Or whether it is physically affectionate company that is more important to many. And how would a govt provide that?

I don't know if sexually, or affectionately, frustrated men really are a problem anymore for society. Does it "matter" if 16% of households in the USA are men living alone?

Does it matter if a significant percentage of men now don't get to reproduce?

And as merrymadscientist says there would be logistical problems in establishing who was to receive the services, and for how much, and whether the existence of such a service would just further disincline people from trying to make "real" relationships work.

I don't think that there would be conscious scroungers though because there would probably be a stigma attached. Only the really "in need" would probably claim it, and even they would probably need encouragement and counselling before they would do it.

I think that it must have been a serious problem in the past, for such a scheme as "unattached/"loose" woman" taboo to have been invented to ensure that most men would end up with a partner. Have men, or humans, changed enough for chronic male solitude to no longer be an issue for society, only for the individual?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 5:36 pm

ouinon wrote:
I don't know if sexually, or affectionately, frustrated men really are a problem anymore for society. Does it "matter" if 16% of households in the USA are men living alone?

Sexual assault rates have increased by 400% in the past 50 years (note: it is unknown if the increase is due to higher reporting rates or an increase in the rate of actual assaults).

Statistics come from the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD).

Don't do anything at all
-----------

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2008, 6:16 pm

Fraya wrote:
Sexual assault rates have increased by 400% in the past 50 years (note: it is unknown if the increase is due to higher reporting rates or an increase in the rate of actual assaults).

According to the 1997 "Sex Offences and Offenders Study" almost a quarter of convicted rapists are married, and rape has little or nothing to do with a man wanting sex and being unable to get it consensually, but instead a desire for power and control, often associated with high levels of anger.

I was thinking that the ill effects, if there are any, might be showing up in costly chronic illnesses, obesity, high levels of stress/anxiety, etc.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 6:23 pm

ouinon wrote:
Does it matter if a significant percentage of men now don't get to reproduce?

That doesn't seem relevant to the legal/gov-provided prostitution issue. Unless these government-provided hookers are also obligated to carry their clients' children to term, in which case your system gets a whole lot messier.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 6:25 pm

ouinon wrote:
Fraya wrote:

According to the 1997 "Sex Offences and Offenders Study" almost a quarter of convicted rapists are married, and rape has little or nothing to do with a man wanting sex and being unable to get it consensually, but instead a desire for power and control, often associated with high levels of anger.

I was thinking that the ill effects, if there are any, might be showing up in costly chronic illnesses, obesity, high levels of stress/anxiety, etc.

Hmm but how badly is that study skewed by male bravado?

Don't do anything at all
-----------