Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 1:16 am

Anybody know this like maybe a Brit WP'er? In the late 70's or early 80's there was a British kids live action (not cartoon) show that was broadcast on US tv. It was a group of young teens with psychic abilities. They used to lay on the grass in a circle with their heads touching and share "visions".

I hope someone knows what I am talking about because I would like to see the show again. It had to be quite popular or else we would have never gotten it in the US.

mystyc
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2008, 4:44 am

You're not talking about "The Tomorrow People", are you?

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 6:32 am

It was "The Tomorrow People"
It played on Nickelodeon.
I was obsessed with it. :oops: In a serious way.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 6:46 pm

I think you all are correct. Tomorrow People sounds really familiar. Yep I was thinking it was on Nickelodeon, but then I thought wait did we have cable tv back then? Oooh I guess I'm really dating myself on WP to say there was a time where we didn't have tv. And in fact the first tv I remember seeing was in black and white.

I'm going to google Tomorrow People and see if I can find a dvd or heck even vhs. Yep I think I could seriously become re-obsessed with it because I only got to see a few episodes as they took it off Nick or else my mom probably forbade me from watching it...can't remember which. Mom forbade me from most things such as listening to Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garret on the radio as that was devil's music. :roll:

Thank you folks for giving me the name of the show.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 6:56 pm

Ticker wrote:
I think you all are correct. Tomorrow People sounds really familiar. Yep I was thinking it was on Nickelodeon, but then I thought wait did we have cable tv back then? Oooh I guess I'm really dating myself on WP to say there was a time where we didn't have tv. And in fact the first tv I remember seeing was in black and white.

I'm going to google Tomorrow People and see if I can find a dvd or heck even vhs. Yep I think I could seriously become re-obsessed with it because I only got to see a few episodes as they took it off Nick or else my mom probably forbade me from watching it...can't remember which. Mom forbade me from most things such as listening to Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garret on the radio as that was devil's music. :roll:

Thank you folks for giving me the name of the show.

Lol. My parents wouldn't let me watch "You Can't Do That on Television" as it was "anti-authoritarian".

mystyc
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2008, 7:53 pm

hah, it sounds like you both had crazy parents. Though patternist's sounds more amusing. Really? Anything anti-authoritative? You must tell us more, lol.

haha, so patternist, you were seriously obsessed with the show? Hah, well my obsession is ideas, and it trumps your obsession here, j/k, haha. Here's how:

There were actually 2 incarnations of the series. The first occured in the 70's in the UK and never appeared on american television. While the second show was produced for both Nickelodian and the UK and aired in the mid-90's. Additionally there are 2 documentaries on the series, each about their respective incarnation of the series.

The original series ran for 8 seasons, was a tad "campy", and featured themes and plot devices not present in the revival series. The revival series can be seen a bit as a reimagining of the original series, much like battlestar gallactica. The revival series ran for 3 seasons and greatly improved upon the special effects, acting, and writing. Both series were basically serials which focused on single story arcs for the entire season, or for a third to a half of the season. One feature of note is that the original series depicts the children going into space more and interacting with aliens.

For more information see the wikipedia article on the Tomorrow People.

Some of the episodes from both series can also be found streamed online through people who pirated the eps and hosted them online. Hosting of such pirated material is illegal under the DMCA and the Bernie convention, but there exist websites which function as search engines which fall under the "safe harbor" exception of the DMCA (this basically allows search engines to link to pirated material, so long as they remove such links upon receipt of a cease and desist letter). Merely linking to safe harbor sites is just like linking to a search engine, under the DMCA, and thus I provide the link to just such a site.

Mods can remove the following link if you feel all wussy about the tested limits of copyright law. Not this is not even a direct link to pirated material. This is a link to a search engine site which links to pirated material, but does not host any pirated material itself.

"It is legal to click on this. It may not be legal to click this, and then subsequently click on certain links, and then subsequently click on other certain links. Then again, that might lead to an article on why smurfs are asexual."

Oh, and why do I know all this, and what does this have to do with my obsession? It is because of "why". Everything. Nothing. Story for another day.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:02 pm

patternist wrote:
Lol. My parents wouldn't let me watch "You Can't Do That on Television" as it was "anti-authoritarian".

I'm not surprised. My mom thought Double Dare was immoral. Guess that's why I turned out so twisted secretly watching each episode in the basement.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:39 pm

Quote:
hah, it sounds like you both had crazy parents. Though patternist's sounds more amusing. Really? Anything anti-authoritative? You must tell us more, lol.

Hmmm. Well, for starters, every time my dad didn't want to buy me something, he would call it "radioactive". This ranged from the Apple computer to those plastic bunny banks they sell at Easter.

Anyway, yeah, "The Tomorrow People". I liked the original version, I had no idea they even made an updated one, I watched it in the early 80s. I'm sure it was terrrible, but that didn't matter. So was the original Star Trek imo.

I almost don't want to watch it again, I have it so idealized.