Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

14 Dec 2008, 2:19 am

Or how about partners do the darnest things? :wink:

Today I wake up and I see my boyfriend did more Christmas shopping and he wrapped one of them up. But he used tissue paper. I asked "Couldn't find the wrapping paper?" and I hold it up that was lying against the bookshelves
He said there was already some and I told him that was tissue paper. He thought it was wrapping paper. He could not tell the difference between tissue paper and wrapping paper? 8O
He said it felt the same to him and looked the same.

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2008, 2:52 am

To be fair, I've seen wrapping paper that was pretty much identical to tissue paper, but it's in the small minority.

14 Dec 2008, 2:58 am

But the material is different.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2008, 10:15 am

:lol: Tissue paper can be used to wrap gifts sometimes, but generally if the gift goes in a box or a fancy bag thingy rather than wrapped with wrapping paper, so I kind of get it. But saying they're the same is odd.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 10:45 am

I`m a guy and sometimes when guys need
to pack something, paper is paper :lol:
and its just gonna get ripped off anyway :lol:

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

14 Dec 2008, 6:42 pm

Let's hope the paper wasn't used.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Owendust
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2008, 3:56 am

Hell, I've used a paper grocery bag to wrap a present. Anything works, as long as it gets wrapped. :)

But then again, one year I got my sister a birthday card that was written in spanish, which she doesn't happen to speak...

HaliaTotheres
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2008, 4:20 pm

Why don't we all just wrap stuff in the funnies section of the newspaper?! works for me! (actually, my friend does that, I wrap things in the reuseable grocery bags :P )

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2008, 7:17 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

Does he have any problem with his eyesight?

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:20 pm

Whoa! That is weird that he says it feels the same! Very interesting... I don't quite know what to make of that.

I can understand a guy being like 'well whatever, its paper' but saying it looks and feels exactly the same? That's just funky!!

16 Dec 2008, 9:44 pm

FireFox wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

Yes.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:00 pm

I have a couple of questions for you spokane_girl.

1. Why does it matter what paper you use to wrap the gift?
2. In fact, why even wrap the gift at all? To me, all you're doing is wasting paper and cutting down trees that don't need to be cut down.

When I received a gift, I wouldn't care if the gift was wrapped or not. I was just happy I got the gift. Personally, I would rather receive cash than a gift if someone wants to give me a gift. This is because the other person may not know what I want. How are they supposed to know what I want?

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:15 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:

I don't think it does, but then some people are very rigid about these types of things. It's all good.
cubedemon6073 wrote:
2. In fact, why even wrap the gift at all? To me, all you're doing is wasting paper and cutting down trees that don't need to be cut down.

that is why I suggest and use recycled paper- in fact much of it is already made from recycled content.
cubedemon6073 wrote:
When I received a gift, I wouldn't care if the gift was wrapped or not. I was just happy I got the gift. Personally, I would rather receive cash than a gift if someone wants to give me a gift. This is because the other person may not know what I want. How are they supposed to know what I want?

Money is not a gift- money/gift cards are a cop-out. Money/gift cards say, "I don't really value our relationship enough to put any thought into a real gift." I had a grandmother who would buy presents for all of her grandchildren, but she would give me a $5 bill in an envelope.
The gift you receive isn't just about what you might want- it's a statement about how a person perceives you, what they think about your relationship.
Personally, anyone who would rather get cash or giftcards is being selfish.

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2008, 2:20 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
FireFox wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

Yes.

Is it just the typical nearsightedness or is it a more severe problem?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:07 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

I don't think it does, but then some people are very rigid about these types of things. It's all good.
cubedemon6073 wrote:

that is why I suggest and use recycled paper- in fact much of it is already made from recycled content.
cubedemon6073 wrote:

Money is not a gift- money/gift cards are a cop-out. Money/gift cards say, "I don't really value our relationship enough to put any thought into a real gift." I had a grandmother who would buy presents for all of her grandchildren, but she would give me a $5 bill in an envelope.
The gift you receive isn't just about what you might want- it's a statement about how a person perceives you, what they think about your relationship.

NocturnalQuilter wrote:

Fair enough

NocturnalQuilter wrote:

You missed the other point to this. Why is it such a big deal to wrap the gift? What is the logical point to this? Personally, I would be happy for 1. you thought of me to get me a gift in the first place, 2. I received a gift.

NocturnalQuilter wrote:

I have looked at your profile and I see you're a NT. Here is the problem with your thought process. I don't know how to determine what you want as a gift without asking you directly. You are able to somehow determine what a person wants without directly being told. This is part of my aspergers. I am not a mind reader.

Here is another thing. Let's say I told everyone that all I wanted was money or a gift card. They don't honor my request and still buy me a gift when I requested them not too. I might have had specific reasons for them not too or for them not to wrap the presents.

1. For me the feel of certain materials brings about feelings of horror and disgust to me. For instance, I can't touch the material called shway or have shway fabric or materials.

2. I might be allergic to something you buy. This applies to other aspies as well.

3. I really only want a limited number of possessions at one time or I start getting into the habit of pack-ratting.

4. For gift wrapping, depending on the gift I might accidently mess up the gift if I accidently take the wrapping off the wrong way.

5. What happens if I really don't want a gift and all I really want is your company and your companionship? That might be enough of a present for me.

cubedemon

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:16 pm

""Money is not a gift- money/gift cards are a cop-out. Money/gift cards say, "I don't really value our relationship enough to put any thought into a real gift."""

Oh crap! 8O why hasn`t anyone told me this before-
i like to find something personal giftewise, but i do
also give cash sometimes so they can get exactly
what they want themselfes - didnt know that people
saw it as you dont care if you give cash, i thought of
it more like "i really want you to have what you wish
for and here`s what you need to get it since i`m unsure".
:( i might have really sent a wrong message to some
people then, i just.....i just wanted them to get what they
wanted and be happy, instead of me getting something
they maybe didnt want or need or anything.