Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 11:35 am

I recommend Wing Chun. It has helped me with co-ordination. It does take time though. I use not to know which way was up, so in that respect I have drastically improved.

Wing Chun is and extremely compact and economic close quarter combat system. The moves aren't over elaborate, there aren't hundreds of them, are there no analogies with animals or elements, or that sort to thing. Moves tend to travel the shortest distance possible and make the best use of structure and position, and forces. It is not all about practicing forms like some systems. There are plenty of practical routines and type of sparing technique called chi sau that helps develop your sensitivity. Sometimes you may do blindfolded sparing which isn'y isn’t actually as challenging as it sounds. No one is actually going to fight blindfolded for real, it is a learning device to help to feel the other person and telegraph moves and weaknesses. They generally use the term “sensitivity” to describe this. Cutting forms out all together is not a good option either because forms do help you develop "muscle memory". Basically moments are semi automated in nature, which is one the way it improves your coordination (defiantly works). Even a ballet dancer would be able to tell you about muscle memory. Like in boxing where someone could have set combinations, in Wing Chun you try to develop "fan sau" which is an extension of that. It is difficult to describe without seeing it but it basically total variation and control of moves, power, speed responsiveness. I am no where near this level of skill yet, but it fairly easy to see how it is effective.

If you want to see some look up samuel kwok on youtube.

Wing Chun help with self defence, in reality all self defence is offensive. There is no passive self defence.

I would recommend studying on the Yip Man lineage, but then I am biased.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 11:59 pm

I have taken over five hundred aikido lessons in 11 years

After the first half year, I did not get better

Graceful degradation

Not physically stronger or coordinated

Socially awkward

Financially broke

Mentally slow

Instructors don't need background checks