Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 5:20 pm

I have finished my fifth novel now, and am considering going back and revising some of my other ones.

So, to reiterate what I have written so far:

Novel 1: Postcyberpunk noir

Novel 2: Postapocalyptic science fiction

Novel 3: Cyberpunk/fantasy/science fiction

Novel 4: Postapocalyptic science fiction, sequel to Novel 2

Novel 5: Reboot of series that was to have started with Novel 1, complete reconceptualisation

On sabbatical...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 5:24 pm

Those sound good. Is there a way you could post links to them online, if they're online?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 6:18 pm

Eh, I prefer writing econo-sci fi's, if there is such a genre. The only other vaguely econo-sci-fi novel I can think of is Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. Maybe his work, Baroque Cycle would also fit, if we're allowed to include steam-punk.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:08 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Those sound good. Is there a way you could post links to them online, if they're online?

They're not online.

On sabbatical...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:44 am

Quatermass wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

They're not online.

Where are they then?

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:05 pm

Though I only read non-fiction, I love the genre of cyberpunk because I feel it actually describes current life and society. I also love some music that I would call "cyberpunk" like NIN, KMFDM, Gravity Kills, and Juno Reactor.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:50 pm

Orwell wrote:
Where are they then?

Yes, come on, do tell!

I'd suggest CJ Cherryh's Alliance-Union series as "econo-sf", of sorts. And Iain Banks' Culture series include a lot of clashes between different economic models. Or Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, he goes on a bit of an economics bender in those; which reminds me (as KSR names a character after him, and it's also set on Mars) of Bogdanov's Red Star.

The year is still young.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 9:23 pm

The only econo-sci fi I remember was a book about a revolutionary that uses inflation to bring down a despotic regime. Tho the name 'cryptonomicon' sounds familiar...let me check the database...

nah...Cryptozoic, but not that one...;)

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:10 pm

Orwell wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

They're not online.

Where are they then?

In my files. I'm still considering publication.

I have actually started work on what may be my first non-SF work, which will be a mystery book with an unusual (but not science-fiction) twist. I am also working on a book which is my answer to Watchmen. A more comic (albeit darkly comic) look at superheroes, and supervillains.

On sabbatical...

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2008, 11:14 pm

How long are they? Can you give us word/page counts for each story?

and technically, they're not novels yet. Until they are published, they remain stories

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 1:45 am

-Vorzac- wrote:
How long are they? Can you give us word/page counts for each story?

and technically, they're not novels yet. Until they are published, they remain stories

About 50000 words each. It's hard to get to that amount in some cases.

On sabbatical...

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2008, 4:49 pm

well, aren't we prolific? 8)

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 4:52 pm

pakled wrote:
The only econo-sci fi I remember was a book about a revolutionary that uses inflation to bring down a despotic regime. Tho the name 'cryptonomicon' sounds familiar...let me check the database...

nah...Cryptozoic, but not that one...;)

I want to see someone use deflation-inflation paradox bringing down the despot!

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:04 pm

Your ideas sound as interesting as ever. I find post-apocalyptic scenarios fascinating; this genre provides visions of a contingently possible future that is in some ways more interesting than many standard futuristic versions - Frank Herberts brilliant Dune series not withstanding of course - I love the idea that the ancient past of the protagonists of the novels includes some interesting events in our contingently possible future, e.g. the ecumenical/interfaith movement somewhere along the line having takien a slight detour, so to speak, and instead of reconciling the warring faiths created a plethora of syncretistic fusions such as the Zensunni wanderers and other "Buddhislamic" sects, "Navachristianity," the Commission of Ecumenical translators producing the "Orange Catholic Bible" the discovery that nearly all major faiths share at their essence at least one commandment in common, "Thou shalt not disfigure the human soul." As if this were not sufficient, there has been (or should that be will have been or would have been, or what ever other variation on the future perfect passive subjunctive verb) additional transformative influence on the history of religion arising from the expanding role of space travel, or, as Herbert insists that it should be spelt in the appendix on religion at the end of Dune "SPACE TRAVEL!" with the contemplation of the void leading to the revival of some of the darker aspects of ancient goddess-worship inaugurating "a time of sorceresses whose powers were real," the said sorceresses subsequently banded (now there's alliteration for you; the essence of Anglo-Saxon poetry) by the Bene Gesserit Order (colloquially referred to as "Bene Gesserit witches"). Furthermore this vision of the Universe

Isobel Carmody has done some brilliant work in the post-apocalyptic genre (in my not especially humble but not altogether ill-informed and reasonably well-read opinion; I welcome contrary views as a challenge).

I would thoroughly enjoy reading your works should, or rather when, they come to be published.

Would reviving Gandesha (a roleplaying game/neverending story/fruit of the labours of many hands and minds) be a forlorn hope at this late point in time? It remains incomplete, leaving various protagonists suspended in some rather sticky dilemmas.

Last edited by AlexandertheSolitary on 22 Dec 2008, 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 11:24 pm

QM when are you publishing them?

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 11:36 pm

Quatermass wrote:
I have finished my fifth novel now, and am considering going back and revising some of my other ones.

Good luck.... I am still trying to complete my first book, when do you find it best to write, your most inspirational moments... being a mother at times find it extremely hard as I always prioritize my children's needs first, and then feel guilty of what I have not done...

Let us know if they get published always good to help promote fellow :alien: :D