Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who has delusions
Bizarre delusions like the aliens have implanted a tracking device in you 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Non-bizarre delusions like certain people keep stalking you or falsly believing you went on adventures. 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
No I do not have delusions 72%  72%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 32

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:20 am

Who here has delusions such as false beliefs in any bizarre like the aliens have implanted a tracking device in you or you are pregnant with a baby dinosaur.
Or non bizarre like you believed you went on expedition to Antarctica when the truth was, you never went near the place. Or believe you were one a famous adventurer or aviator.
I have never had delusions of the either bizarre on non-bizarre kind but my younger sister really suffers from delusions of the non-bizarre kind in a big way. Exspecially delusions about people stalking her or threatening her children. Or ficticious stories about her past like telling every one about places they have never been to. I find them rather strange and the rest of my family just keep scratching their heads in bemusement.
I also know some other woman who believed she was a famous supermodel. Another guy who lives out in the country who believed he was abducted by aliens who were wearing plastic body suits.

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 4:23 am

Do You even know what is the difference between delusions and halluciantions?

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2008, 4:28 am

I have difficulty with my sense of 'self', and sometimes I can't tell if I've been to a place or if I just dreamed about it or read about it. I often have deja-vu about things and places even though I don't think I've seen them before/been there. The weirdest thing is that, because I lack a strong sense of personal identity, I sometimes can't tell myself apart from the fictional characters I identify most with.

I'm pretty sure that none of that is a form of psychosis, though, and doesn't really qualify as 'delusional'.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:29 am

ReGiFroFoLa wrote:

A delusion is a false belief, a hallucination is a false perception

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:42 am

I think I may have delusions in the form of false memories; I remember things that nobody else in my family remembers. For example, I have a load of vivid memories of being friends with a pair of twins (a boy and girl) when I was 2 to 3 years old. However, my parents said they never existed.

I have other false (?) memories as well, but those are the most prominent.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:48 am

I had thought broadcasting for a few years in primary/elementary school, and also in high school. O, and I guess I'm paranoid in that I see everyone is out to harm me (with 100% certainty--it makes life fun); this is currently.

No professional has said anything about such other than, 'that's interesting.'

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 4:56 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
ReGiFroFoLa wrote:

A delusion is a false belief, a hallucination is a false perception

Delusion is when there is an actual sensory stimuli, but it is wrong interpretated by Your brain.

Hallucination is when there is no sensory stimuli.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2008, 6:00 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
Who here has delusions such as false beliefs in any bizarre like the aliens have implanted a tracking device in you or you are pregnant with a baby dinosaur.

I haven't been pregnant with a baby dinosaur since highschool, and im happy to put that in the past.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 6:42 am

When I was in my early 20's I became increasingly delusional, and started exhibiting OCD behavior.
I believed that a band that practiced in the same studio as mine had written all of their songs about me... :?

My tendancy towards delusional thought patterns seems to be directly coorelated to the consumption of marijuana....and down the line, I figured out that I simply cannot touch the stuff with a ten foot pole if I want to stay in control of my thinking.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:03 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
When I was in my early 20's I became increasingly delusional, and started exhibiting OCD behavior.
I believed that a band that practiced in the same studio as mine had written all of their songs about me... :? My tendancy towards delusional thought patterns seems to be directly coorelated to the consumption of marijuana....and down the line, I figured out that I simply cannot touch the stuff with a ten foot pole if I want to stay in control of my thinking.

Back when I did drugs sometimes, I used to get paranoid when I smoked pot, but not when I smoked good quality hash for some reason. This was in Europe where the hash was really good.

_____

I'm still trying to work out my persecutory feelings of being harassed by NTs. It's hard to tell when the stuff that you think happened really did happen and the creeps that troubled were really, really creepy. Sociopaths. As one doctoral student who was in the department told me, who was by my side through the first traumatic experience and witnessed some things and did a little snooping himself, "It's as if you're a delusional paranoid, except these things are really happening."

What I am trying to work on now is not to be possessed by the experiences as if I am living in a waking nightmare. I have the thought disorders and exaggerated, hypervigilant responses of PTSD, but the unmodulated emotional responses of a non-delusional schizophrenia or something. My hypervigilance is overly aggressive, but I'm unsure if the hypersensitivity and hypervigilance I'm experiencing now can be called "delusional".

PTSD, and the whole "flashback" thing, is very weird and painful to go through when you have a sensory integration dysfunction and are prone to meltdowns.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:31 am

I've had some very bizarre delusions, a fair chunk of paranoia (although as per Ephemerella, it's not paranoia when they really are out to get you) and lots of thought broadcasting as a child. Is that just a stage that everyone goes through, though? It seems fairly logical to presume at some point that other people can read your thoughts when they (the adults) can read your behaviour (the child) much better than you can them. I'm guessing that it's just accentuated if you're rubbish at reading anyone, full stop.

The year is still young.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:41 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I believed that a band that practiced in the same studio as mine had written all of their songs about me... :?

My tendancy towards delusional thought patterns seems to be directly coorelated to the consumption of marijuana....and down the line, I figured out that I simply cannot touch the stuff with a ten foot pole if I want to stay in control of my thinking.

Possibly why I do not suffer from delusional disorder. I never really smoked the stuff. The only time was when a bunch of junkies passed a joint around the kitchen table but by the time is got to me I could taste nothing more than cigarette paper soaked with spit.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2008, 7:45 am

Mn, I almost forgot about that one. As a child, I was absolutely convinced that everyone could read my thoughts and that it contributed to why I was so disliked. I assumed that I was the odd one in NOT being able to read thoughts. I couldn't understand how people knew what to do and say even in simple transactions without some sort of thought-communication.

Even now, I'm afraid to think about certain things when there are people in close proximity because I feel like they'll 'hear'. It contributes towards my desire for alone time after a social occasion, not just to unwind from the stress of sensory overload, but also so that I can think 'freely'.

Another one I've often had is the fear of being the only 'real' person in a world of actors (a la The Truman Show) or, worse still, that I'm not a 'real' sentient being. Rather, I'm a virtual creation, like the Sims, controlled completely by outsiders and therefore ultimately impotent. I only 'think' I'm alive because I'm programmed to do so, and all my problems come down to the fact that I'm a beta model being tested in an AR setting.

These feelings and fears don't control my life, but at times they become strong enough to be quite disconcerting and a little frightening. But even if any of those scenarios were true, there's not a lot I could do anyway, so there's no point in dwelling on it too much.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 8:02 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:

Possibly why I do not suffer from delusional disorder. I never really smoked the stuff. The only time was when a bunch of junkies passed a joint around the kitchen table but by the time is got to me I could taste nothing more than cigarette paper soaked with spit.

I spent most of my adolescence as the lead singer in a band. There was a good amount of peer pressure to smoke the weed....A negative reaction to it was simply unheard of.
Being in a band may sound glamorous and not the sort of thing that an AS-ish person would be prone to do, but really it was a loney and neurotic little world that I lived in.

The delusion i mentioned was just one....I also would think that animals were trying to communicate with me...and that I could sort of read minds...to name a few...

all this stuff dissapeared once I stopped smoking pot...

The songs I write are alot less interesting now though...

Last edited by poopylungstuffing on 16 Dec 2008, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 8:06 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
paulsinnerchild wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:

I spent most of my adolescence as the lead singer in a band. There was a good amount of peer pressure....it may soun glamorous and not the sort of thing that an AS-ish person would be prone to do, but really it was a loney and neurotic little world that I lived in.

I just keep reflecting back on my life and think, "gee I lived a sheltered existance"

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 8:11 am

Quote:
I just keep reflecting back on my life and think, "gee I lived a sheltered existance"

I would have, had my parents not been so open minded as to let me join a band at age 15...I was pursuing one of my serious main interests, which was singing...

Also, once I hit pubery, I made it through a bunch of the serious dysfunctions I had as a child..and found myself sorta overcompensating for my stunted childhood..in a furious attempt to catch up to my peers and be a "normal" teenager..