Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Taonuviel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2008, 6:07 pm

um... thanks for the helpful reply...
yes, it's a huge knife from nepal... i'm in my archer costume in that photo because i'd just finishing basket-weaving a quiver for my arrows...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 6:48 am

Not really.

Sometimes they are, and if you're lucky you will have a close friend.

Family are the only people who have always been there for me.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 7:20 am

I crave company and friendship some of the time, but most people just aren't worth knowing (no offence; I'm speaking from experience).

I consider myself to have three or possibly four friends.

I have more, but we're hardly in contact at all.

I see them rarely because two have moved to university and the other two I see once a week, if that, because I only see them at the pub quiz I go to.

My best friend - the one I see the most by far - is really getting my goat at the moment. She's never on time and doesn't care. When I'm given a time to be somewhere, I try hard to honour that and I expect others to do the same. I feel bad if I am even five or ten minutes late and always apologise and mean it. Once I waited for about two hours and she didn't turn up. Turns out she 'lost track of time' at a friend's house. On Wednesday she was late when I specifically told her three times she had to be at home at 7:30 to be picked up because I had to pick someone else up as well. She was half an hour away in the city centre and just found it funny when I phoned her (again she 'sorry', but she didn't sound like she meant it). Yesterday we went to town together and she got a phone call and she spent over half an hour speaking to someone on her mobile phone while standing in this one shop (I felt sorry for the other customers who had to hear the intimate details of someone's messed-up relationship - something she never used to be interested in).

I give up with friends.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2008, 7:25 pm

Taonuviel wrote:
to have a friend is what i've wanted most for as long as i can remember. i want so badly to not be alone, to have some sort of relationship. it also seems to be the thing furthest from my reach. and now i'm wondering if it's even worth it. is it even fulfilling? is it incredibly difficult to maintain? too difficult?
i don't know. i feel really discouraged, and don't know what i'm fighting for anymore.
thank you.

If you're around people a lot you will start to get better at it eventually, & once you know someone who is nice & they know your quirks it's not difficult to maintain & definitely worth it. Eventually you'll click with someone. What activities do you do to meet people?

Taonuviel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2008, 7:31 pm

ducasse wrote:
Taonuviel wrote:
to have a friend is what i've wanted most for as long as i can remember. i want so badly to not be alone, to have some sort of relationship. it also seems to be the thing furthest from my reach. and now i'm wondering if it's even worth it. is it even fulfilling? is it incredibly difficult to maintain? too difficult?
i don't know. i feel really discouraged, and don't know what i'm fighting for anymore.
thank you.

If you're around people a lot you will start to get better at it eventually, & once you know someone who is nice & they know your quirks it's not difficult to maintain & definitely worth it. Eventually you'll click with someone. What activities do you do to meet people?

i am around people a lot, i've been heavily involved in church groups for years... and i've joined some college groups, too.

squeaker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2008, 1:52 am

What you said sounds so familiar, and there are times when I wonder if it worth it as well. I have 3 very dear close friends who know that I not your normal gal and have told them about it and they still accept me for who I am and those are the people that matter. I met my friends duing the Renaissance Faires here in California and I consider them family. It actually takes sometime to find the good people who will include you in everything. My bestfriend is a guy I known for 13 years and I was best man at his wedding. I been used and hurt so many times by those how say they are my friends or that they love me, it is hard sometimes to pick out the true blue people who are genuine and kind. Nice sword. I got 3 of my own, plus a 28lbs recurve bow. :)

NaturalTrapist
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2008, 3:04 am

Friends are worth it. I wouldn't be what I am today without my friends. I like being alone but it gets old after a while. You know, I always thought LARPing was a group activity, you don't have any friends in that?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 3:11 am

Friends are a challenge... I prefer solitude, but get lonely; I work best alone, but thirst for feedback. When I was young, I had few to no friends, those I did have I did not socialize with... as I got older, I found myself with many acquaintances. Then I found friends with whom I found passing connections with; now I have gone through lasting friends, ones I care about but still take a lot for granted - both in themselves, in me, in the world around them. Don't expect the tree to bear fruit the morning after planting the seed. Try to be patient, and try to build on each success.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:11 pm

NaturalTrapist wrote:
Friends are worth it. I wouldn't be what I am today without my friends. I like being alone but it gets old after a while.

same here. I count myself very fortunate to still be best friends with 3 people I grew up with and have known for over 23 years (although none of us has any memory of being introduced to each other). I don't think I've ever heard of friendships that would last as long as ours and my friends often tell me that if it wasn't for me we wouldn't probably have stuck together all this time...

the truth is, I could never make real friends on my own at school or at work so I just kept the people I know well close all this time. we are like family to each other and although we have not much in common we're somehow used to having each other around.

my friends know that I need a lot of solitude and that I might be an embarrassment at times when I go out with them and their friends and act like myself, but I think they appreciate my way of thinking and being and the fact that I provide some variation.

Taonuviel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2008, 1:00 pm

thanks. it's actually a gerka knife from nepal - big knife, huh? i'd like to get a sword. my bow is just a kid's bow i picked up at a pow-wow, but i'm just a beginner so it works for now.

i don't actually larp, i just made a costume. i'd like to make it to some ren faires, but haven't had the chance to. it's kind of uncomfortably going alone, but i'll probably try it anyway when i get the chance.

i've planted so many seeds... i do everything i can. i just don't get anywhere. :-/

thanks everyone.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 8:15 pm

garyww wrote:
Is that a big knife you're holding in that avatar picture?
:lol:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 10:09 pm

No. Not at all. I can't ever remember wanting to make friends. I just wanted someone to lecture to about my special intrests. My mom told me that I needed to be intrested in what they were intrested in for them to take an intrest in my intrests. I tried and it did not work. All of the "friends" I've ever had have always ended up ditching me for new, more normal friends. People also have gotten the false assumption that I am a sweet people person and when they find out the truth I never hear from them again. So, no "friends" are not worth it at all. I need my alone time and sometimes need to lock myself in my bedroom for weeks on end. I need to do MY own thing. I have never actualy expirenced lonliness.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:42 pm

Taonuviel wrote:
i don't actually larp, i just made a costume. i'd like to make it to some ren faires, but haven't had the chance to.

I went to the one at GVSU a few years ago, it was great =) You can goof off and run around causing mischief and nobody cares...nobody even knows who you are, to them you're just another actor in one huge play ;) By the end of the weekend, we had quite a bit of trouble losing our terrible British accents @_@

I'd like to go to another one, but somehow I just haven't really had the chance.

Idunno if you're interested in Dungeons and Dragons at all, but a few of my friends are trying to get a game going in GR right now, and we certainly wouldn't mind having another player =) Right now it's just five of us, and two of the players are just now learning the game, so you wouldn't even feel too out-of-place. Only difficult part is figuring out what night we're having it, what with people trying to get the same night off work and what not...

Anyway, just thought I'd offer that, you can PM me or something if you're interested.