Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2005, 8:00 pm

I'm sorry to hit a negative tone, but this is a pet peeve of mine. I'm always put off by a comment that proclaims itself to be motivated by boredom. We've got access to the entire world on line, plus books and movies and cable and radio and satellite, and recreational facilities, not to mention real work that has to be done, whether it pays a salary or just involves mopping the floor beneath our feet. Unless you are held prisoner and denied access to everything, you have no excuse to be bored. Now I understand that, since we're imperfect beings, we're sometimes going to do things even though we have no excuse. So I'm not going to claim that I never have moments when I'm twiddling my thumbs and drooling like an idiot because I'm bored and don't know what to focus on. This happens to me all too often. But I'd be embarrassed to use this as a basis to reach out into the world: "Hi, I'm drooling and picking my nose, so I thought I'd talk to you." I'd at least try to phrase it in a more positive way, like, "Hey, here's an interesting line of thought to pursue, whaddya say?" I figure I owe that much to whomever I'm trying to victimize. Okay, I admit I don't have vast social skills (it's that assburger thing, which I either have or do a pretty nice impersonation of), so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about here. But this is near and dear to my heart, so I wanted to get it off my chest, if you'll allow me to mix my metaphors. Thanks for your indulgence, and I hope I wasn't overly harsh.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 10:10 pm

I am never bored. Aimless, yes, anxious, yes, lonely, yes, but bored, never!

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2005, 11:10 am

I’m sorry if my boredom so offends you but I don’t think you have any right to condemn it. I am a student so no money that counts out recreational facilities I am up at night at the moment (I have no control over my sleeping pattern) so that counts out all but one of my friends and I cant bug hin every night, I would rather not do any ‘real work’ at the moment I have just finished exams and are quitting smoking I deserve a bit of leisure time at the moment. They is only so much I can do on the net most of the stuff on it is a wast of time and I have great difficulty finding any thing I want. No money for movies T.V. sucks because I cant afford cable, radio? How is this entertaining, satellite don’t have one surprising, books well I am currently in the middle of about 5 of them. I think the big problem with me is that I get bord with things very quickly and need to have about 11 things on teh go so when i get bord with one i can move on, it comes with the ADD territory i dont get bored with my obsessions but the only one of those i have at the moment is WP. And you have no right to tell me I am not trying hard enough ect ect ect

oh and by the way I don’t twill my thumbs and drool I find something to do ie my thread maybe if you had better coping strategies you would not get so offended by boredom

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 5:54 pm

I'm bored pretty much most of the time, even if I am doing something. The trouble is finding something interesting to do. Boredom empties the mind so that ideas do not come as easily.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 6:54 pm

You try going to my classes and not being bored (or doing my hw for that matter), though I suppose that could be considered being hold prisioner :lol: .

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm

I am rarely ever truly bored. As long as the internet connection works and I have something to read, I'm happy. The closest I come to boredom is the agitation I experience at work when I don't have anything to work on, but have to stay there the whole day anyway.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 8:39 pm

Thank you psuedo for phrasing, "I'm bored so i'm going to condemn people who say things because they're bored even if they ARE infact using that as an introduction to an issue near and dear to their heart," in such a nice way.

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2005, 4:12 am

Nomaken wrote:
Thank you psuedo for phrasing, "I'm bored so i'm going to condemn people who say things because they're bored even if they ARE infact using that as an introduction to an issue near and dear to their heart," in such a nice way.
Is that what I meant to say? I dunno, it seems to have shifted somewhat in translation. Well, I was trying my best not to stomp on toes, but I thought the point was worth making even at the risk of drawing fire and ire. My platform is not holier-than-thou; it's an issue I've struggled with myself, and this is my chosen resolution. Take it or leave it; I won't pursue the topic further.