Failure of Blu-Ray and what this means for the PS3

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 10:19 pm

Read this first (don't worry it's short):

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/108657

Personally I felt this since Blu-Ray and the PS3 first arrived. The question is, if Blu Ray does indeed fail in the next year or two, what does this mean for the PS3? Sony's invested much more into the PS3 being a player of Blu Ray movies than it has being a game console. And since PS3 games are released ON Blu Ray discs would they have to find a whole new format? Or possibly create a whole new game console?

Makes you wonder what the bloody point of it all was. Your thoughts?

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 10:40 pm

jamesohgoodie wrote:
Read this first (don't worry it's short):

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/108657

Personally I felt this since Blu-Ray and the PS3 first arrived. The question is, if Blu Ray does indeed fail in the next year or two, what does this mean for the PS3? Sony's invested much more into the PS3 being a player of Blu Ray movies than it has being a game console. And since PS3 games are released ON Blu Ray discs would they have to find a whole new format? Or possibly create a whole new game console?

Makes you wonder what the bloody point of it all was. Your thoughts?

Blu-ray has significant storage capacity and the drive prices have been coming down from what they were but they are still nowhere as cheap as DVD drives yet. Truth be told blu-ray is going to stay around until the blank media and drives get cheap enough to compete with DVD. I have a feeling blu-ray will just be adopted much more slowly but will eventually displace DVD.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 11:34 pm

It took DVD something like 5 years to truly displace VHS. Many people will go with inexpensive... Once Blu-ray's price goes down, you will see more of them being bought...

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2008, 12:18 am

I don't agree with the statements that upscaled dvds look almost as good, or that hi-def is 'a little' better looking. There is a VERY big different in the content that I've viewed. For me it's like the difference between going outside with or without my glasses on, and I'm only using 720p. That said, thanks to the xbox live video marketplace and usenet groups, I've basically bypassed the hi-def disc format altogether.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 12:26 am

There are a couple things slowing the adoption of Blu-Ray from DVD:

1.) Price. People expect everything to be dirt cheap nowadays, and reguardless of how good the technology is, they won't buy it if the price is too steep. This goes for the players, drives and the media.

2.) Not enough people own HDTV's yet. This might change after February when they switch over to DTV though.

3.) Evolutionary technology. It's still a spinning disc, with a little (relatively speaking) better picture and sound quality compared to upscaled DVD. The majority of people can't tell a difference, or don't care about picture quality, and don't see a need to spend more money on an "upgrade".

4.) The whole HDTV and hi-def media thing is too complicated and there are too many choices to make for the average user. People want something that is simple, convenient, and easy to use. Gone are the days where the only choices people had to make was which size of TV they wanted.

I think the future is in solid state hardware (flash drives, or holographic media for instance), internet downloads, and wireless technology. It seems like a lot of modern technology is merging together (cell phones, mp3 players, consumer electronics, computers, internet), so we might see a palm sized all in one media device in the future that has the ability to wirelessly stream video to our TV's.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 2:36 pm

I dunno - it kind of reminds me of an article Stephen King wrote in Playboy back in the '70s, claiming that FM radio was a dead medium because all the rock stations were on the AM bands...

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 4:34 pm

PlayStation 3.1 Anybody? :D

t0
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 4:38 pm

OccamsIndecision wrote:
I don't agree with the statements that upscaled dvds look almost as good, or that hi-def is 'a little' better looking. There is a VERY big different in the content that I've viewed. For me it's like the difference between going outside with or without my glasses on, and I'm only using 720p.

That may be your opinion, but I've seen studies done where they've polled the general public and the primary atttitude has been "DVD quality is good enough."

I think you'll generally see the same attitude with this generation of consoles. Why would you purchase the next XBox or PSX - aren't the games good enough right now? I would certainly prefer they make better games rather than better physics, graphics, AI, etc.

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 6:24 pm

t0 wrote:
OccamsIndecision wrote:
I don't agree with the statements that upscaled dvds look almost as good, or that hi-def is 'a little' better looking. There is a VERY big different in the content that I've viewed. For me it's like the difference between going outside with or without my glasses on, and I'm only using 720p.

That may be your opinion, but I've seen studies done where they've polled the general public and the primary atttitude has been "DVD quality is good enough."

I think you'll generally see the same attitude with this generation of consoles. Why would you purchase the next XBox or PSX - aren't the games good enough right now? I would certainly prefer they make better games rather than better physics, graphics, AI, etc.

I felt the same way when the 360 and the PS3 came out. They seemed to keep on trying to impress up with online capabilities, media storage, media playing, co-op, I just found it really off-putting because they almost never mentioned games. They seemed to keep pushing technology in your face and I think it scared off a lot of new customers.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 6:45 pm

I can see the quality of DVD Videos. I think it's pretty low. The best way to improce quality would be to take compression out of the equation.

unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2008, 9:56 pm

Blu-Ray may not be as successful as the change from vhs to svs, but it won't totally fail either. I know not everyone one has highdef tvs, but enough people do, and more will in the future, and there needs to be content that matches the resolution of these screens, and besides hardrives, Blu-Ray is the cheapest storage media for this high def content (besides the fact that .mkv files fit on dvds caugh caugh).

Blu-ray will not completely replace dvds like dvds did to vhs, but it is an alternative, and a better experience on a good screen.
They would not keep making highdef tvs if there was not a form of media to support it. They don't make highdef tvs to watch dvds. Why watch upscaled dvds on a highdef tv? Why not just watch regular dvds on 480p lcds or plasmas? If the tv industry knew blu-ray failed, they would start making 480p tvs.

And upscaling does not work as well as you would think. Inorder to 100% perfectly scale one pixel, the new resolution must be 4x as high in order not to distort the pixel. One pixel can become four pixels two make one new pixel to duplicate the original, but it cannot become three or two and quarter, otherwise information is lost, or blended to another pixel. 1080p is 2.25x the amount of pixels than dvds, that does not work so well for scaling. HDTVs are digital, dvds would defeat the purpose because loosing or blending pixels is the same as having a signal wire like a cable tv wire, the source changes when it is finally viewed.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 9:01 am

I don't think the PS3 will ever be a very successful console, however I don't think Blu-Ray is anywhere near dead. When the next-gen consoles come out, and they have Blu-Ray as well, it will become much more mainstream. Personally I love Blu-ray as I have poor eyesight, and I need all the detail I can get. I get blown away if I put on contacts or glasses and watch a Blu-ray movie. You can see every hair, every pore, every stitch in the clothing!

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 10:03 am

I don't see how blu-rays are dead at all.

I live in Dallas which is a pretty high tech city and the Blu-rays sell as fast as the normal DVDs here.

jkennedy293
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2008, 1:41 pm

Let's see. If you go to Best Buy or Circuit City you pretty much are SOL if you don't want an LCD, DLP or Plasma HDTV. This means in a few years time, the vast majority will own HDTV-capable sets. Blu-Ray players are already approaching the $100 mark. Some of the new Blu-Ray players are even able to download movies from Netflix's "Watch Instantly" library. Based on this, I don't see Blu-Ray dying anytime soon.

Another thing to remember is that DVD's didn't really catch on in the mainstream until they were out for 4 or 5 years. And then when Sony's patent on Blu-Ray expires in about 4 or 5 years, the players should be real cheap then.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 1:51 pm

jkennedy293 wrote:
Another thing to remember is that DVD's didn't really catch on in the mainstream until they were out for 4 or 5 years. And then when Sony's patent on Blu-Ray expires in about 4 or 5 years, the players should be real cheap then.

Indeed, I remember when I saw the first DVD player at a friend's house I thought, "that thing is silly"...

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 2:13 pm

sony could admit a "loss" and open the blu ray technology to licensing to other systems...maybe a 360 upgrade? the format is entirely viable in the gaming industry. maybe sega could get back into the game...or maybe a new company could use the technology and create a new console in the fray.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson