Page 1 of 4 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:00 pm

My brother has his girlfriend over. They came out of his room, and said they were watching "robot chicken" I said "urg, i hate that show" They got all upset and assumed I was saying it because it is his grilfriends favorite show. I didn't know it was! So my mom tells me to call them for dinner, and I do, and a few minutes later she says, "where are they?" and I say "they are watching that horrible robot chicken." and my mom got all angry and said it is mean and rude to say that.

it is??? did i make a big social no no here?

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:03 pm

If I had a nickel for everytime someone said that TO ME, I'd be rich. People are always saying "I hate that <insert thing here>" to me. So honestly, if everyone else says it, I don't see how it can be rude.

Evenflowman454
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2008, 9:10 pm

they're hypocritical for pete's sakes.(not trying to be rude to you 8O ) you did nothing wrong. i hear that from so many people it's too funny to laugh at. don't fret

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:13 pm

Okay, Thanks you guys. I feel like i've been making a lot more social mistakes lately. I'm never sure anymore.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:23 pm

Maybe it wasn't what you said but the tone you said it in that they were responding to. I used to get that a lot. Just an idea.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:32 pm

zghost wrote:
Maybe it wasn't what you said but the tone you said it in that they were responding to. I used to get that a lot. Just an idea.

I think you're right. NTs are very sensitive to tone of voice. If it sounded like the voice was negative and critical, then it might be seen as a put-down of the thing that other people are excited about. Like dumping cold water on their happiness. I always try to pay attention to my tone of voice, if it seems like I'm saying normal things that upset others. Sometimes it's the tone.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:46 pm

Nah don't worry, I would have done the same thing. And I am with you on that, I can't stand that show!

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:50 pm

We can be rather blunt and brutally honest to people sometimes. Some people like this in a person, others take offense to it. When I started my job, people would get all upset when I told them things, but now they realize that's just the way I am, and now they think it's funny. I think a little of it has rubbed off on them...they just say whatever's on their minds anymore. :D

Although I realize it can be offensive at times and hurt peoples feelings, I do think it helps people better communicate with each other.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:58 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Okay, Thanks you guys. I feel like i've been making a lot more social mistakes lately. I'm never sure anymore.

I know how you feel. :) It may depend somewhat on your family in particular... Every family has their own set of social rules that are slightly different from the average. So they may be more or less strict about various different things. But that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that it might be "rude" to describe something as "horrible" if you don't like it. But if your family in particular doesn't like hearing that, then it's up to you whether you want to stop saying "horrible" (and various synonyms) to them or if you want to just let them deal with it. I honestly don't see anything wrong with either choice.

Zghost's point about tone of voice is good too.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 10:08 pm

This is one of those neurotypical things where they know when to lie (make up some fuzzy happy answer just to please people, even when you don't feel it) but we are more prone to be point-blank honest. I love it when I choose not to say something and then get yelled at for not lying. It's as if we get caught into these moments were we are forced to lie or suffer the consequences, eh? *sigh*

Truth: "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution." ~ Albus Dumbledore

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 10:12 pm

Some words are, or WERE, "loaded" words. Some IDIOT misuses them, they take off, and they use this word improperly. Racist, mean, and rude, or three such words. A "teacher" I once had called these "Code words"! That was her term for words that had no meaning but were meant to be social, show standing, or simply convey emotion.

You may have been impolite. You may have shown a lack of courtesy. It may have SOUNDED mean. It was NOT rude and, apparently, was NOT mean!

Quote:
1. discourteous or impolite, esp. in a deliberate way: a rude reply.
2. without culture, learning, or refinement: rude, illiterate peasants.
3. rough in manners or behavior; unmannerly; uncouth.
4. rough, harsh, or ungentle: rude hands.
5. roughly wrought, built, or formed; of a crude construction or kind: a rude cottage.
6. not properly or fully developed; raw; unevolved: a rude first stage of development.
7. harsh to the ear: rude sounds.
8. without artistic elegance; of a primitive simplicity: a rude design.
9. violent or tempestuous, as the waves.
10. robust, sturdy, or vigorous: rude strength.
11. approximate or tentative: a rude first calculation of costs

Historically, the type of rude they would be referring to is 2 and 3. 1 would be in that context.

BTW. I hate that show also! Why do so many have such STUPID shows!?!? Now robot chicken is RUDE! IT is MEAN! ****YOU***** would have to try HARD to top it!

For those that don't know, robot chicken is a show that uses a number of DUMB methods in a CRUDE way to play out scenes. It may consist of dolls and/or clay with stop motion photography. They say CRUDE, DEMEANING, RUDE, MEAN things about various things that may even represent people currently in the news. It basically tries to amuse people using puerile humor.
I swear, it sounds like I am making it up, but I am NOT! It is worse than the worst on SNL!

Stevie_W
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2008, 10:58 pm

not rude

Last edited by Stevie_W on 25 Dec 2008, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 11:20 pm

I never thought it was rude...I've said it plenty of times...but nobody's ever told me that that was rude....

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

ike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 11:20 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
BTW. I hate that show also! Why do so many have such STUPID shows!?!? Now robot chicken is RUDE! IT is MEAN! ****YOU***** would have to try HARD to top it!

For those that don't know, robot chicken is a show that uses a number of DUMB methods in a CRUDE way to play out scenes. It may consist of dolls and/or clay with stop motion photography. They say CRUDE, DEMEANING, RUDE, MEAN things about various things that may even represent people currently in the news. It basically tries to amuse people using puerile humor.
I swear, it sounds like I am making it up, but I am NOT! It is worse than the worst on SNL!

I think to some extent Robot Chicken is trying to produce that response. It's really difficult to get ratings on any kind of show if you're not offending someone. Well okay, maybe Myth Busters or a couple of the other Discovery Channel shows. But aside from Discovery, "shocking" is what gets ratings. And so Robot Chicken is going for edgy, shocking humor. Hence the reason why there's so much violence, often even out-of-context violence because the lack of context for the violence is a running gag. It's supposed to be funny when the guys at the diner say "I'll have a coke" and when the waitress asks "is Pepsi okay?" they respond by storming out with violence and profanity. The joke is precisely that -- the fact that the violence is out of place (and would be virtually impossible in a real-world scenario). It really shouldn't be taken literally or personally.

I like some of the stuff they show on Adult Swim, but not all of it. I still don't understand why they continue with Aqua Teen Hunger Force. But then I'd just about rather eat broken glass than watch Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin or the Three Stooges. Not because I find them offensive but because I find them boring. Stomp on foot, check. Wind up fist, check. Punch in gut, check. Poke in eyes, check. Drag by nose, check... Was there supposed to be something funny going on in this show? It's so mechanical and predictable... blech... Even Robot Chicken manages to come up with an interesting idea more often than the Stooges. For that matter, check out their Star Wars specials...

The first few of these suck (up to the Jar Jar skit) and then there are a couple of good ones between Jar Jar and the Boba Fett one which also sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDHskF-DCnc

19 Dec 2008, 11:31 pm

I don't think that's rude. It's just a show. Did they make it? No, so why be upset by your opinion.

People can get pretty upset when someone insults their favorite movie or TV show or bad talks it. I see that a lot on IMDB.