Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2008, 10:34 am

When i moved away from home, one of the things i made sure i did was remove all the sad-angry music i had on my mp3 player, cause i know that sometimes, even when im in a good mood, some sad-angry-depressed music would no matter what make feel feel bad, for no reason at all.

Linkin park as an example, i love linkin park and i have great respect for the band and its music, but some of the songs are either very "sad" or just remind me very much of some of the worst times of my life.

Does music affect anyone else the same way?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 10:48 am

I wouldn't say it changes my mood, but rather puts it towards a different end of the same mood. Right now I am quite fond of Ozzy, and I only have problems with listening to it when there are other people around that do not appreciate it.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2008, 10:55 am

Yes!

Right now I'm listening to music, because I can't handle anyone talking to me because I am stressed to my limit (reason why, I posted in the haven) and it's helping to calm me down. Not so much what music, as it's on shuffle, But just having it's rhythm there.

Plus I use music to help me go outside. If it wasn't for music I'd never leave the house.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:00 am

BastetsEye wrote:
Yes!

Right now I'm listening to music, because I can't handle anyone talking to me because I am stressed to my limit (reason why, I posted in the haven) and it's helping to calm me down. Not so much what music, as it's on shuffle, But just having it's rhythm there.

Plus I use music to help me go outside. If it wasn't for music I'd never leave the house.

I know exactly what thats like. They say music tames the wild beast, however, I would say music takes the beast and gives him a means of not being so wild. Any kind of music in the background is generally better than none, however, I would still prefer something I like over something I hate. Music has always been the 2nd strongest escape from reality for me, and when I am too stressed for video games, which is my strongest escape, music will still work.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2008, 11:17 am

That's a beautiful way of putting it.

There's no actual music on my walkman I don't like, but there's definately times when I prefer one type more than others.

When I'm in a upbeat mood I like Rock, when I'm in a relaxed mood I like easy listening, etc.

At the moment those I think it's just the fact that there's a symetry, a repeating quality to music in general so it's helping to relax me.

There's something about it that just appeals to my OCD tendencys.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Dec 2008, 12:54 pm

yes music affects me, this song has effected me since 1994. this fatboy right heres a pretty good drummer and its a shame he doesnt drum for them anymore

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Ckw4t_YuA[/youtube]

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 1:16 pm

Yeah, but I'm obsessed with music so that might explain it. =]

It makes me really excited, sadder songs or really good songs will make me cry, etc.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 5:07 pm

Some music cheers me up. I know of no music that makes me sad or depresses me

ruveyn

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 5:10 pm

Music rarely affects my mood in a bad way, but it can in a good way. Although, if it's music that annoys me it can put me in an irritated state. But sad music doesn't depress me. Occasional (very occasional) exceptions if the lyrics connect with something in my life just wrongly. Mostly, sad songs are uplifting because they are a connection with other people, through the music.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 5:55 pm

I find all emotional music uplifting, whether it’s happy or sad. If it has a strong mood I usually like it. I like getting goose bumps from music. Driving alone in the country really gets me into that sublime mood where I can enjoy it the most.

Only very specific songs ever make me truly sad. Even then it’s more of a nostalgia feeling than depression. Occasionally some song will get stuck in my head and I’ll attach it with a particular person, activity, event, or period of time. Then I get this teary longing feeling whenever I think of the song. It’s weird because at the same time the song makes me sad I also have this urge to listen to it over and over again. The lyrics don’t even matter as much as the tune.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 5:58 pm

yes. i fear i could die without music. it would be like a lack of oxygen. some family members are composers and i grew up around music of all sorts.

IT can completely change my mood. i become the music when i listen to the stuff i love. it's great to fuse wtih it.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 6:00 pm

Yeah.. im into heavy metal stuff at the moment. at the moment i love bullet for my valentine and slipknot. but your right they do affect my mood.. and some of there songs remind me of bad times.
I also like music like linkin park and some of there songs remind me of bad stuff too.
The thing is i usually listen to music when im depressed to make me happy and it usually dont make me any happier really.

I hate rap music though. Now that is just torture!! !
xxxxxxxxx

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2008, 7:25 pm

I try to avoid songs that make me sad. I have a playlist i can put on repeat for songs that take a long time for me to grow tired of or I never grow tired of.

Music also is a great tool for keeping focused on projects. Drowning out all other sounds. It keeps me going.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 7:55 pm

Unfortunatly for me, I never have my music when I need it most, or am not allowed it, for example, when I'm in an exam.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 8:00 pm

[quote="marshall"]I find all emotional music uplifting, whether it’s happy or sad. If it has a strong mood I usually like it. I like getting goose bumps from music. Driving alone in the country really gets me into that sublime mood where I can enjoy it the most.quote]

I would have to agree. I find that music is uplifting to me whether it is happy or sad. If i am happy, but listening to something really mellow (and considered sad sounding), it doesn't change my mood and make me sad all of a sudden. Beautiful music (or music I consider to be beautiful, anyway lol), makes me happy no matter how sad/happy the music itself is.

--Aldous Huxley

millie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Quote:
I have a playlist i can put on repeat for songs that take a long time for me to grow tired of or I never grow tired of.

i agree.

and kittenmeow; your new avatar is absolutely fantastic.