Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AuntPurl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jan 2009, 9:56 pm

I agree. Group work sucks. Usually, if it is a big project, I just ask my teacher if I can work alone. It's much easier that way, and I can get the A myself. :roll:

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2009, 5:05 pm

Yeah, usually I just ask if I can work on my own, and 9 out 10 times the teacher knows I work better on my own. Unfortunately, with subjects like RE and PE I tend to have no choice but to work in a group.
The last major piece of group work I did, we had to all do a podcast, and basically, I did pretty much the whole thing, I made the script, compiled the video and got all the images. All they did was say my script. It wasn't like I was trying to control it too D:.
But the one before that was good, because we had to make a power point and decided we'd work independently on a slide each and then someone would just put them all together at the end. I got highest mark because I was doing something like 16th Century cures for illnesses, and I had a very good memory and good knowledge with computers, so I didn't have to use any cue cards and just told it like it was xD. However, the rest of my group just read directly from they're books :P.
So, sometimes I like group work, or don't really mind it because I just do my own thing.
Sometimes I just hate it though, because either every just takes me for a complete idiot and ignores me, or I'm just left to do all the work D:.
EMZ=]

d057
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 8:01 pm

I've also had to do group work that involved touching other people. In my stuid health class, we had to learn how to save someone from choking, and we had to touch the person to simulate how to do it. I understand its someone that could save someones life, but i still can't stand touching someone i don't like. The teacher let everybody do that stupid "choose a partner" thing, and i was the last one without a partner, so i was stuck with someone i hate more than anybody. I explained to the teacher that i don't feel comfortable touching, or being touched, but he just snapped at me and told me to "suck it up". He said it in a rude tone of voice that really made me angry.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 4:03 pm

I could do any academic work brilliantly up to the "choose a partner", "choose a group to work in" bit. I sucked at getting into groups because I sort of knew everyone anyway and wasn't cliquey.

Things went a little better if the teacher chose a group/partners for me.
I can function at a mediocre level in a group at best.
I tend to do better in control as a designated leader: at least that way things actually get done.

I've actually worked with one or two really nice people.
As for the rest of them: what a bunch of, time-wasting, freeloading lay-abouts!

I mean seriously, what were they thinking?! 8O

I'm 100% focussed on the task and they're all chatting about what they're doing at the weekend.

I wish I'd had the leisure to do that!
I was always too busy doing other assignments.
Sad but true.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 7:12 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Corydaman93 wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:
RockJustice wrote:
RockDrummer616 wrote:
Quote:
I also HATED "choose a partner" work. I'd always be the only one left out, and be too shy to ask someone or even say that I didn't have a partner.

That is totally how I feel in almost every class.

I third that statement.

I fourth it. :(

Fifth it, I HATE GROUP WORK!

I sixth it, haha this could go on forever

SEVENTH!

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2009, 3:05 pm

My new school is better, sometimes the group members will be decent and not ignore me or be rude. They may even be somewhat... friendly. Sometimes they still do act poorly though, and will completely ignore me when I try to contribute or heaven forbid attempt to be social.
But it's still not as bad as elementary and middle school, where I'd have to do projects by myself when my partners flat-out refused to work with me. Although even on my own, I often got a better grades than their groups did.

theMagnet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2009, 6:24 pm

Jeez, I'm doing a group project in school now, but I'm working by myself. I told the teacher how I felt about group work, but she doesn't care. She told me that she can make an exception for me this time, but I'll have to pick a partner or group the next time we have a project like this. I'm definitely not looking forward to a "next time" and I don't know what I'll do in that situation. :(

Night_Owl_Amber
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2009, 5:38 am

I also agree with buryuntime, thats exactly how I felt all through school
Not nice when the other kids are talking/laughing behind your back about it either :(

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2009, 3:02 pm

The other day, my assigned partner was absolutely awful.
First, he moved both he and his desk away from mine. Then, when the teacher asked him to move back, he pushed back the desk yet not his chair. The teacher told him again, and then the jerk finally moved over to his desk, yet instead of sliding onto another seat wedged a chair between us, in front of everyone. How obvious do you have to make it that you don't like me?! He barely talked to me at all the entire time, and was, for lack of better words, a pompus ass.

That is all.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 9:20 pm

I had to work with a lot of the same people again. Its with that same damn american history teacher that discriminated me. He does not listen to parents or students when they have a problem, and that really is pissing me off. They kept telling me to shut up when i would give them suggestions, and not include me in the project. Then they would complain to the teacher about me not doing anything. Four group members were supposed to look up information and the other two group members had to present. I refused to do it for people that disrespected me and took advantage of me.

Whitecrow323
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2009, 6:05 pm

I hated group projects, especially in civics class. The reason, I was one of the few people in class who paid attention while most of the class was talking about how messed up their brackets were for march madness or how great chuck norris was. Invariably when a group project of a review game was announced, myself and the two or three other like me who paid attention would be fought over like a prime cuts of beef. Once our little minority had been dragged apart, we would be left all the complex thinking, and every one else would divide their attention between fooling the teacher and their usual activities. sigh

Hummys
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2009, 4:21 pm

God, I HATE group/partner work. I am ALWAYS the one who is left out and then the teacher sticks me with people who I have never spoken to in my life. I work so much better on my own.