Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:58 pm

On the kind of phone calls we're talking about here, me too. Don't like them. I can if I have to, but I don't like it.

Personal phone calls I'm okay with, usually. Except I don't like them when I don't know who's going to answer. But I rarely have to make calls where that's an issue these days. The calls I make are usually to cell phones, except my parents, and I'm okay with either of them answering, since I'm gonna talk to both of them anyway.

But, even something simple like calling for an appointment (need to call the chiropracter) I'll procrastinate. I can do it, just don't like to. Thankfully, I usually don't have to call to do that.

Basically, the more unknowns, the more I dislike making a phone call. I'm okay getting phone calls, though.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Basically, the more unknowns, the more I dislike making a phone call. I'm okay getting phone calls, though.
[/quote]

yes...that is the defining issue.....

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 8:47 pm

You can get used to it. I have to call everyone I work with, which can be a dozen calls to releative strangers every day.

Tech support, I agree with Fnord...;)

"Thank you for waiting. Your call is important to us (just not important enough to be answered)

"Hi, I'm Andy (I bet there's a few more syllables after that, Andy-roo...;)"

Depending on the vendor, you can get downloads of manuals in PDF form. Have a gig or so of 'em...;) although they're all for printers...;)

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 8:54 pm

I'm okay when it comes to calling family members. Strangers not so much, I also have a very low tolerance for the stupidity that tends to come from 411 operators and such. My dad had me call some people at his buisness, I was really terrible at knowing what to say for small talk. I also sent company e-mails with the Hello Kitty stamps from my Sanriotown adress, I found out later apperently the buisness people didn't find them as cute or amusing as I did. Heh, well I guess maybe some of the female office employees might've liked them.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 9:10 pm

I hate talking to people I can't understand. Like tech support in INDIA!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

Evenflowman454
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2008, 9:11 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
I loathe the telephone. I fear it. I often "forget" to turn it on. (I only have a cell phone.) I have a telephone only so that my husband and daughter can reach me, or I can call someone in an emergency, like getting my car caught in a snowdrift.

I like ngonz's advice: write down what you want to ask and say. You might pretend you are performing a skit. Think of it as art.

I did have a very good phone conversation once. It involved calling a credit card company to activate my credit card. I'd hoped it would be automatic, but nooooooooooooooo, I had to talk to a human being who wanted to sell me something. Here's how it went:

Sales rep: "Good morning, Mrs. Ruach, and how are you today?"
Me: "Just fine."
Sale rep: "Oh, I'm so glad to hear that. Mrs. Ruach, can I offer you credit protection in the event that you lose your job?"
Me: "No."
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that you lose your job."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you credit protection in the event that your spouse loses his job?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that your spouse loses his job."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you credit protection in the event that you become temporarily disabled?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that you become temporarily disabled."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you credit protection in the event that your spouse becomes temporarily disabled?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that your spouse becomes temporarily disabled."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you membership in our Customer Points program, which will allow you to receive points for free gifts, such as tote bags, luggage, alarm clocks, and other useful items?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but you will be able to earn points for free gifts, such as tote bags, luggage, alarm clocks, and other useful items."

<long silence>

Sales rep: "But...I don't...you see...Mrs. Ruach...well, why wouldn't you...but they're FREE!"
Me: "I know. I don't want them. I have enough things already."

<long silence>

Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you..."
Me: "You know, my kid needs to have a bath."
Sales rep: "Is there anything else I can do for you?"
Me: "No, thank you. Goodbye."

That one was fun. :D

:lol: that is a great way to handle that :!:

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 9:22 pm

This is amazing! I never knew so many other people experienced this...
I am right there with many of you regarding telephone usage.
For almost 20 years, I had the hardest time using the phone. I dreaded it. Worked myself up into insane anxieties and eventually hit shutdown-mode. It could be about the most ordinary thing on earth. I could be calling my own mother. It did not matter. I was deathly afraid of the telephone.

As an adult, I was forced into enough situations where I HAD to use the phone... eventually I got somewhat used to it. Now, when I have to make a phone call (let me emphasize the HAVE TO; I never make casual, conversational calls) I am still anxious, but I do better when I plan out a script ahead of time, taking into account most likely responses, etc.

Once I am on the phone with someone (aside from immediate family) without adequate planning, my mind goes blank, I stammer, speak too quickly, say wrong things, try to end the call as quickly and politely as possible. Otherwise, I end up frozen on the line, wrought with anxiety, leaving long silences and more than likely embarrassing myself.

This is yet another reason I love the internet :)
Here I can actually COMMUNICATE WHAT I WANT TO SAY!! !! !! !! !!
such a rare thing for me when immersed in the social wave-pool.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 10:45 pm

I really dislike talking on the phone. I have difficulty understanding people, and I tend to stutter/slur my speech/lose my train of thought more frequently over the phone. Perhaps it is difficult to understand people due, in part, to the fact that telephones have a very narrow frequency response - they only reproduce the frequency range in which the consonant sounds in human speech are found. I find it plausible that folks like us who have unusually sensitive ears would find that the human voice sounds so different over the phone that it is difficult to understand.

What I hate more is having someone call me. I hate being interrupted by some obnoxious person trying to reach me... probably to talk about some nonsense or wanting to make further demands on my time. NT's don't seem to appreciate it that I categorically do not answer my phone.

Sorry about the rant.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 10:53 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
I loathe the telephone. I fear it. I often "forget" to turn it on. (I only have a cell phone.) I have a telephone only so that my husband and daughter can reach me, or I can call someone in an emergency, like getting my car caught in a snowdrift.

I like ngonz's advice: write down what you want to ask and say. You might pretend you are performing a skit. Think of it as art.

I did have a very good phone conversation once. It involved calling a credit card company to activate my credit card. I'd hoped it would be automatic, but nooooooooooooooo, I had to talk to a human being who wanted to sell me something. Here's how it went:

Sales rep: "Good morning, Mrs. Ruach, and how are you today?"
Me: "Just fine."
Sale rep: "Oh, I'm so glad to hear that. Mrs. Ruach, can I offer you credit protection in the event that you lose your job?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that you lose your job."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you credit protection in the event that your spouse loses his job?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that your spouse loses his job."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you credit protection in the event that you become temporarily disabled?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that you become temporarily disabled."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you credit protection in the event that your spouse becomes temporarily disabled?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but it will protect you in the event that your spouse becomes temporarily disabled."
Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you membership in our Customer Points program, which will allow you to receive points for free gifts, such as tote bags, luggage, alarm clocks, and other useful items?"
Sales rep: "Well, I can understand why, Mrs. Ruach, but you will be able to earn points for free gifts, such as tote bags, luggage, alarm clocks, and other useful items."

<long silence>

Sales rep: "But...I don't...you see...Mrs. Ruach...well, why wouldn't you...but they're FREE!"
Me: "I know. I don't want them. I have enough things already."

<long silence>

Sales rep: "Okay, Mrs. Ruach, I understand. Now, can I offer you..."
Me: "You know, my kid needs to have a bath."
Sales rep: "Is there anything else I can do for you?"
Me: "No, thank you. Goodbye."

That one was fun. :D

I have had people try to sell me a cell phone with FREE calls!! !! !! EVENTUALLY, they caved and said that there WAS a per minute charge for airtime "But ALL cell phones have that!" they say! DUH! They have tried to sell me "free" stuff IF I buy something else. MAN things are CRAZY! NOW, a company can owe YOU money, send you a check, and charge YOU for life. One stupid company dinged my credit once every year. I FINALLY got them to stop.

NOBODY is honest these days! I asked a salesperson at a major, established, national company why they keep changing the model number on washers and dryers that are OBVIOUSLY the same, and they are ALWAYS on sale. That is AGAINST THE LAW! He actually told me they change the serial number so that they legally look different. There are laws governing how long sales can run, and how often. After all, if you have a 50% off sale for 10 years on the same product, it is NOT a sale! It is a permanent price reduction.

But just TRY to get ANY of these people to tell you the REAL story.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 10:59 pm

This is how my last phone conversation went: "Well, she said... she said... she said... well uhm she said... -long pause- I can't talk on the phone I'm sorry!!"

Phones... 8O

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2008, 7:17 am

MizLiz wrote:
:(

I'm going crazy because I'm going to have to make a phonecall and I can't. I just can't.

I don't know why the hell companies don't make things available to do online.

I'm considering faking deafness to get a relay service to make the call for me. Does anyone else have this where they can't make phone calls?

I don't know why I have this, but I know I have. I hate calling people on the phone, and I hate talking on the phone. I hate calling people; especially when I have to call a person I don't know or don't know very well.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2008, 7:28 am

I hate using the phone! Especially when the person calling me has an accent I can barely make out what they are saying, It hard for me to understand them normallly as I find myself straining to understand them, but when they have an accent its worse.

I understand that it not their fault and that they need a jpb, but I wish people who were hard to understand would get jobs working on phones.

When ever I have to phone someone I'll leave as long as possible. Like right now I'm supposed to phone the hospital to make an appointment, but I just keep delaying it as I just can't deal with the interaction.

I think it has to do with the fact that I tend to only understand what people are saying when I'm staring at a person eyes. It's like English is a second language for me (though it's not) and I have to struggle to translate it if I'm not looking in someone eyes. Whcih is why phoning someone up is so hard.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 7:29 am

I never have my phone turned on and rarely charge it. I can talk on the phone. I think I'm pretty easy going in conversation, that's not the problem. It's just that I don't like to be disturbed or caught off guard with a phone call. The internet is great because you can check emails at your leisure. The sound of the phone ringing just irritates me. It's a nuisance. When I do talk on the phone I make it quick. It hurts my ears and neck and augh...I'm irritated just thinking about it.

I also don't like people dropping by unexpected.

-Pythagoras

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 9:33 am

Magnus wrote:
I never have my phone turned on and rarely charge it. I can talk on the phone. I think I'm pretty easy going in conversation, that's not the problem. It's just that I don't like to be disturbed or caught off guard with a phone call. The internet is great because you can check emails at your leisure. The sound of the phone ringing just irritates me. It's a nuisance. When I do talk on the phone I make it quick. It hurts my ears and neck and augh...I'm irritated just thinking about it.

I also don't like people dropping by unexpected.

I think you've hit on why I hate the phone. It really is an annoying form of communication. And I just hate the unexpected nature of it. I have to have conversations planned ahead of time. I have to be in the right frame of mind to deal with other people. I think maybe fear of the phone comes from two Aspie traits. It is difficult because of our social short-comings, and it is a disruption of routine.
The phone's only advantage, as far as I'm concerned, is that it gives people a chance to actually warn you before coming over, instead of unexpectedly dropping by, like you said.

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2008, 3:57 pm

Kaysea wrote:
Perhaps it is difficult to understand people due, in part, to the fact that telephones have a very narrow frequency response - they only reproduce the frequency range in which the consonant sounds in human speech are found. I find it plausible that folks like us who have unusually sensitive ears would find that the human voice sounds so different over the phone that it is difficult to understand.

I definitely find it hard to understand what people are saying on the phone, even when I'm talking to people who I know and can understand face-to-face. Here's what I think the problems are:

-Compressed frequency range
-General deterioration of sound quality/distortion of what the person really sounds like
-Only able to listen with one ear
-Lack of visual support (for those of us who typically look at the people we're talking to)

Does that sound accurate?

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 5:24 pm

Quote:
drowbot0181 wrote:
I have to be in the right frame of mind to deal with other people. I think maybe fear of the phone comes from two Aspie traits. It is difficult because of our social short-comings, and it is a disruption of routine.

That's it in a nutshell. I don't like to be disrupted.

-Pythagoras