Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 12:01 am

gamefreak wrote:
1] It Fast
2]Boots up faster than any other version of Windows &/or other Operating Systems. Boot ups are sometimes even half the speed of XP.
3]Superior driver compatibility. Compatible w/ Windows 2000, XP, Vista & Windows 7 drivers. Just in case nobody made a Windows 7 driver or one that is too glitchy.
4]Most Compatible version of Windows ever. Great program compatibility has made me utter in joy. Backwards compatibility all the way back to Windows 3.

Then again over 300 of Windows 7's features or from linux. [Mostly Debian.]

Sounds great! But I thought it wasnt released until 2010?

Do you think that the linux(especially Ubuntu) release schedule will speed up the MS development turn around?

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 1:04 am

Sounds great! But I thought it wasnt released until 2010?

Do you think that the linux(especially Ubuntu) release schedule will speed up the MS development turn around?[/quote]

Well Fuzzy, Microsoft has planned to release 7 this year due to all the vista shortcomings and the extremely battered public perspective of microsoft with the media. Also M$ is really starting to get the niche market segment back that linux has been slowly be surely dominating. Budget Computers, Phones & Subnotebooks are the market the Microsoft is really trying to dominate. The fact that the Asus EeePC only has a 16GB hard drive has caused Asus and similar manufacturers to use the antiquated Windows XP or better off preinstall ubuntu on all the machines.

Yes to your comment, Microsoft wants to especially target linux users and people who generally won't use windows because of it being bloated. Coming with the dreaded Internet Explorer & not being friendly with hardware that is not top-of-the-line and is over 2 years old.

Example- People in my town by antiquated 500Mhz PIII's from Flea Markets w/ WIndows 2000 just to avoid Vista. Microsoft wants to target the market of people that are more likely to end up going that far. Thus broadening Microsofts market share.

So by far Windows 7 is targeted at winning back the linux & macintosh crowd.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 2:09 am

gamefreak wrote:

Well Fuzzy, Microsoft has planned to release 7 this year due to all the vista shortcomings and the extremely battered public perspective of microsoft with the media. Also M$ is really starting to get the niche market segment back that linux has been slowly be surely dominating. Budget Computers, Phones & Subnotebooks are the market the Microsoft is really trying to dominate. The fact that the Asus EeePC only has a 16GB hard drive has caused Asus and similar manufacturers to use the antiquated Windows XP or better off preinstall ubuntu on all the machines.

Yes to your comment, Microsoft wants to especially target linux users and people who generally won't use windows because of it being bloated. Coming with the dreaded Internet Explorer & not being friendly with hardware that is not top-of-the-line and is over 2 years old.

Example- People in my town by antiquated 500Mhz PIII's from Flea Markets w/ WIndows 2000 just to avoid Vista. Microsoft wants to target the market of people that are more likely to end up going that far. Thus broadening Microsofts market share.

So by far Windows 7 is targeted at winning back the linux & macintosh crowd.

I would agree. those micro machines are where the battleground is.

Thats part of the reason I asked if you think the development schedule will shorten(or if win 7 is just an aberration). Taking some things from debian was a smart move, but if if they wait another five years after win 7, they (MS) will be in the same boat.

It was a canny thing to do though, as the next few distros are aimed at fast boots.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 7:12 am

Windows 7, to me, has a distinct feel of vaporware around it. We've been hearing about it for years, when will it finally come? And there was hype around Vista as well, and we've seen how that turned out. I'll believe it when I see it.

Anyways, even if 7 comes out this year, MS is still moving much slower than the Linux world. Linux is decentralized. There is a lot of flexibility in the development process, and there is a lot of stuff that's being worked on now. Linux is already unquestionably better than Vista in pretty much every respect; I would argue that in many ways it has also surpassed XP and OSX. If Microsoft spends another couple years sitting on its laurels, or releases another lemon, it seems unlikely that they would ever be able to catch up to Linux. Not that that matters much- Windows will likely remain a workable system, and the stigma around Linux as just for geeks will persist, so they're in no danger of losing their market position.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 1:16 pm

Orwell wrote:
Windows 7, to me, has a distinct feel of vaporware around it. We've been hearing about it for years, when will it finally come? And there was hype around Vista as well, and we've seen how that turned out. I'll believe it when I see it.

Anyways, even if 7 comes out this year, MS is still moving much slower than the Linux world. Linux is decentralized. There is a lot of flexibility in the development process, and there is a lot of stuff that's being worked on now. Linux is already unquestionably better than Vista in pretty much every respect; I would argue that in many ways it has also surpassed XP and OSX. If Microsoft spends another couple years sitting on its laurels, or releases another lemon, it seems unlikely that they would ever be able to catch up to Linux. Not that that matters much- Windows will likely remain a workable system, and the stigma around Linux as just for geeks will persist, so they're in no danger of losing their market position.

Look at it this way Orwell. The things the really suck about Vista are Driver Compatibility, UAC and Bloat.

Windows 7 Beta can run fine on a system w/ 512MB Memory. [Not even half the Vista Bloat.]

UAC was finally gotten rid off.

Driver Compatibility in 7 is Universal. Meaning that most issues with Vista are finally resolved.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 7:34 pm

gamefreak wrote:
Look at it this way Orwell. The things the really suck about Vista are Driver Compatibility, UAC and Bloat.

Windows 7 Beta can run fine on a system w/ 512MB Memory. [Not even half the Vista Bloat.]

UAC was finally gotten rid off.

Driver Compatibility in 7 is Universal. Meaning that most issues with Vista are finally resolved.

UAC was not gotten rid, it is still there. Though it's not as annoying and microsoft made it easier to disable or put in different settings for it.

Windows 7 is a little bit slower then XP, so that is good, I guess