I just witnessed disrespect towards AS...

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 10:54 pm

Mage wrote:
If you become easily offended by things you see on the internet, you should probably log off.

uh.....no :?

OP, I'd prove him wrong in a discussion in public, proving to him and others he's WRONG 8)

Sir_Beefy wrote:
It's the Internet. As I always say, people lose 70% of their intelligence on the internet. So you can't expect much, it's the Internet; everyone is a black belt on the Internet. In person, these people are a lot more careful.

:P :P

Yeah, go on /b/ and see how we roll. I'm severely /b/tarded IRL too 8)
Not assholish, but /b/tarded.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 11:13 pm

sethzack wrote:
I can see why that would be offensive but I have never been discriminated against so I would not know how to react if anything like that happened to me.

Once towards the end of high school my singing teachers assumed because I was AS I was stupid, and sort of said it to my face, and I was very annoyed about this for a while but I never let it show, and just vented some steam with my friends.

Probably one of my only weaknesses is when people call me stupid. I can't stand it when people call me stupid. But as a rule I never get angry to their face.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2009, 12:03 am

The problem with people on the internet (I can't vouch for in person so much), is many of them assume that they are right.

I'll use chess as an example. We all know that the queen is the most powerful piece. Some people think so highly of themselves, that if they lost a piece on piece battle (like one piece against another strictly) with the queen, that they would claim that the queen is too weak.

I see this behavior in games all the time. Some new guy picks what is considered to be the best option for the game (unknowingly though, since he is new), loses with it, and then calls it too weak. He wont accept that its HIS fault.

The same can be seen in the situation where this person has claimed that you should learn more about your own condition. He thinks he is right, and wont accept a mistake.

Truthfully though, some people really should learn more about their own condition. I'm surprised actually by some of the questions I see on here by more experienced users whom I would imagine would have learned the answers to by now. Just like some woman who has ADHD one day claimed that I was lying when I told her that ADD is an outdated term, and that ADHD is the proper term, and from there she would find classifications of it.

Honestly though, while it helps to read, it helps more to FORGET about a title, and just look at yourself. Like I say, its the symptoms that matter the most, and you can learn what best affects you the most by observing yourself. Reading doesn't observe for you!

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2009, 12:13 am

Kirska, I feel for you. Comments like that really bother me, too.

I get the feeling that the people who wrote that are either a) really unhappy and taking it out on you or b) really drunk and thinking they're being witty. Either way, it's got nothing to do with you (except, of course, that you're on the receiving end).

I wouldn't respond. That's all they want--to get a rise out of you. Don't give them the satisfaction. You know how smart you are. And how smart they aren't.

And for what it's worth, I hate the word "ret*d," in the same way that I hate racial slurs, anti-semitism, homophobia, and sexism. It's just crude and the people who use words like that are, shall we say, not deep thinkers? :wink:

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2009, 12:32 am

Quote:
And for what it's worth, I hate the word "ret*d," in the same way that I hate racial slurs, anti-semitism, homophobia, and sexism. It's just crude and the people who use words like that are, shall we say, not deep thinkers?

I disagree. I can understand your dislike for such words, but I wouldn't attribute it to lack of "deep thought". You are advocating what appears to be a dislike of prejudice behavior, and yet you are judging people who use such words before you actually know them. ~_~

On another note, I dislike prejudice behavior period. I further dislike it when people make such a huge deal out of the use of specific words that aren't "politically correct". If you ask me, that kind of behavior makes prejudice worse, because you are making a situation more sensitive than it really needs to be. It's not the words that matter, it is the thought behind the words. If I want to call a female flight attendant a stewardess, that doesn't make me a sexist. If I call Obama black, that doesn't make me a racist. People just need to CALM DOWN about what they think is bad form, and get the hell over it. Deal with the thought, not the vocabulary.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2009, 1:00 am

Fo-Rum wrote:
Quote:
And for what it's worth, I hate the word "ret*d," in the same way that I hate racial slurs, anti-semitism, homophobia, and sexism. It's just crude and the people who use words like that are, shall we say, not deep thinkers?

I disagree. I can understand your dislike for such words, but I wouldn't attribute it to lack of "deep thought". You are advocating what appears to be a dislike of prejudice behavior, and yet you are judging people who use such words before you actually know them. ~_~

On another note, I dislike prejudice behavior period. I further dislike it when people make such a huge deal out of the use of specific words that aren't "politically correct". If you ask me, that kind of behavior makes prejudice worse, because you are making a situation more sensitive than it really needs to be. It's not the words that matter, it is the thought behind the words. If I want to call a female flight attendant a stewardess, that doesn't make me a sexist. If I call Obama black, that doesn't make me a racist. People just need to CALM DOWN about what they think is bad form, and get the hell over it. Deal with the thought, not the vocabulary.

Um, excuse me, but calling Obama black is not the same as calling an Aspie a ret*d. And I hate it when people say I'm being politically correct for protesting speech that promotes prejudice and ignorance. It's an easy way to dismiss the problem. I don't give a damn about being politically correct. I do give a damn about hate speech, and calming down about it would be, in my opinion, irresponsible. Words have the power to create or to destroy. They are never "just words." Any type of slur has impact because the thought behind it is either full of ignorance or full of hatred, and usually both.

Do you know how many kids get the crap kicked out of them while being called a "ret*d"? The bullying didn't come from nowhere. It started because somebody applied the label 'ret*d' to a kid and made his life and safety worth less than theirs. This is how hatred starts and how it fuels itself.

And yes, I will judge people who use words like that as shallow, stupid, and dangerous. If they want me to judge them more favorably, they can enter the world of the 21st century and find themselves a clue.

ThisIsNotMyRealName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2009, 7:34 am

sethzack wrote:
I can see why that would be offensive but I have never been discriminated against
How is this possible to know ?

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 4:38 am

ThisIsNotMyRealName wrote:
sethzack wrote:
I can see why that would be offensive but I have never been discriminated against
How is this possible to know ?

Alright I should have said I have not faced discrimination that I know of. :)

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 4:43 am

If that was in real life you should have broken their nose.

The internet is full of arsholes, if someone online says that just get mad then let it go :) Chances are they would never be man enough to say that to your face.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 5:17 am

The problem is that on the internet a weak, timid and small man can suddenly become the big strong brave macho man hiding behind his computer screen. I think people should be more careful with their words and deeds. I hold the view that hurtful words can come back to trouble you, you often do not know everything about the person you are talking to.

I think it is wrong to use the word "ret*d" as an insult, but the word ret*d should not be banned. It has its place in English. For instance while adjusting the timing on a 1970s petrol car you might fiddle with the distributor to ret*d the ignition if the car is misfiring. In this context the word is OK to use.

One other problem is that some trolls think it is funny to place in very public places shocking materials or to write offensive things. I am aware of a Christian forum where the occasional person thinks it is funny to post a link to some offensive image with misleading text suggesting it is something nice such as a photo of a stained glass window in St XYZ's church.

My own view of it is that life is too short to go to their forum and then post a link to a shock site with a label saying it is photo of a cute kitten. Also what have those people done to trouble me, often it is nothing. Also even if the people have done something to irk me, it does not mean that I should go and do something to annoy them back.

For instance some of the “researchers” who work on AS have written some hurtful and offensive things, but their misdeeds do not give me a license to write and publish obscene mocking poems about each one.

To my mind many of the trolls have something lacking in their lives, rather than going off to do something about it and fill the hole with something wholesome they choose to force the rest of us to experience the horror which they have.

I think that the best thing we can do about trolls is to refuse to "feed them" and to carry on as if they do not exist. I suspect that they will then lose interest if their shock posts are quietly removed by a mod, which is better than a big flame war breaking out. When they are ignored and shunned by us they will soon have to make a choice. Their choice will be reform and behave better or go elsewhere. I do not care which of the two they do, I think that many trolls could reform and become decent people who add something good to the world but I suspect that many of them do not want to clean up their act.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 10:22 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
it seems that most of the people who get called ret*ds by others are not actually ret*d [mentally],it's one of those words that doesnt have much use anymore,as it's used against even gifted people,an overused insult.

It always seems to be that a person's IQ has to be practically in single figures before they actually begin to be insulted for their intelligence (or lack of). What always draws the insults and ridicule, and 'ret*d' label, is lack of social skills. Good social skills are so all-important to NTs that, without those, you are nothing. The most ignorant, mentally deficient NT can still draw a crowd and be popular if they behave correctly socially.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 10:27 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
it seems that most of the people who get called ret*ds by others are not actually ret*d [mentally],it's one of those words that doesnt have much use anymore,as it's used against even gifted people,an overused insult.

also maybe everyone needs to stop seeing MR as a disease or something disgusting to be associated with [it isnt],MR is a global weakness-just as may see own difficulties as being similar to-and everyones got difficulties in some form or other,by not reacting badly to things like that,its taking away the effect they want and ignoring the stereotypes.

if this is on a game that has different servers to choose from,or something like xbox live-change places,dont be around people like that.

Hey I 100% AGREE ret*d is an overused insult. Sadly my 9 year old sister says X (doing something or whatever) is ret*d. IMO it's sad since she doesn't know or understand WHAT ret*d really is. She's rude to me alot but I tend to let it bounce off LOL! I was more upset by her calling me an Ass at age 3 when she didn't even know what that word was. :-) Now the rudeness just bounces off sadly mom says she thinks she gets it from me sadly. :-(