Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 10:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Allright, now where is the bill O-Reily thing?

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

16 Dec 2005, 1:24 pm

irishmic wrote:
I always find it funny when people who say things like
"Jesus is the reason for the season" decorate their homes and/or workplaces with pagan symbols.
They clearly have no idea of the history of the season, nor do they understand the meaning of the symbols they decorate their homes with.

yea and to to tell me that their house of worship is SO much more pious than mine or what ever.... I love to tell people that get on that kick to look for all the phalic symbols used in the construction of their buildings..... If thatdoesnt warp them, then letting them know that they are Greek as in from the times of greek mythology does....

Im a christian, and I know that the season was choosen to coincide with pagan worship inorder to make the transition easier... You generally dont hear me whine about it....

The spirit of the season is supposed to be one of love ans understanding.....*sigh* maybe if we took a page out of our own books, this argument wouldnt even be valid

rachelhe
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2005, 9:32 pm

Mithrandir wrote:
BTW, I heard that Chanukah starts on Christmas day, why is that?

Hanukkuh starts on the 25th of Kislev. The jewish months of the year are not the same as the christian calender. This year, 2005, the 25th of Kislev happens to be Dec. 26th. Hanukkuh eve, this year, is on Dec 25th, the same day as christmas.
Next year, 2006, Hanukkuh starts Dec. 16th.

CRB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2005, 10:56 am

I happen to believe in Jesus as Messiah and Son of God, what the Bible teaches. However, I do not celebrate Christmas, and I do not believe that He is the reason for the season for the following reasons:

1. Jesus was not born on December 25. Nobody knows exactly when He was born, but He may have been born sometime around the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot) or Passover. The day December 25 was the Roman pagan feast of Saturnalia, which was adopted by the Catholic Church to be the celebration of the "Christ Mass." Therefore, Christmas is not really a Christian holiday, but more a pagan holiday.

2. All of the trappings of Christmas came from paganism--decorated trees, holly, mistletoe, Yule logs, figgy pudding, etc. The Christmas tree was from a German pagan tradition.

3. Jewish tradition is not very big on commemorating birthdays of important Jewish figures. Instead, the day of death or the Yahrzeit is much more prominent in this tradition. There is no command in the New Testament to celebrate the birth of the Messiah. In fact, in John 7, Jesus celebrated the "Feast of Dedication" or Chanukah.

I have no problems with public displays of Christmas, but I do not celebrate it in my own home. I have no problems with anybody else celebrating Christmas. Christ was never in Christmas in the first place.