UK town bans "Cracknuts Lane" & other streets

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:30 pm

Britons: Is the above poster making up any of those place names? "Butthole"? "Cocknmouth"? Are you kidding me??

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:32 pm

As if I would make it up!!

Ohh ye of little faith!

Here ya go, the direct link! Believe me now! :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rude_Britain

EDITED TO ADD.

If you would like to live on Butt Hole road, here is an idea of how much a house will cost you!

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/butt-hole- ... ster-dn12/

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 4:14 pm

Y'know...I went to another site (the Register, an English web site) and looked at their bootnotes section. I swear most of the 'weird news' stuff is there. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a mirror site...;)

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 6:29 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
richie wrote:
Here in York, PA we have a street called Gay Ave.

And of course you always have a friend in Intercourse, PA. :twisted:

No you have a steert called gay street and an ave. called gay ave. or is that west gay ave/street? :wink:

In North america, streets and avenues are the two most common names for grid-system streets. They are all quite literally streets, so calling what is called an avenue a street is quite fine, because the avenue is only a convention, as opposed to in good old England where an avenue is an actual approach to a house or village.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 7:41 am

Xelebes wrote:
In North america, streets and avenues are the two most common names for grid-system streets. They are all quite literally streets, so calling what is called an avenue a street is quite fine, because the avenue is only a convention, as opposed to in good old England where an avenue is an actual approach to a house or village.

i'll second that, my village is a 'the avenue' ;)

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 9:48 am

Actually, "avenue" really means a line of trees, so "Avenue Street" is not as redundant as it sounds.

y es como un semestre"

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 4:41 am

Ragtime wrote:
twoshots wrote:
WurdBendur wrote:
and they're at least as likely to become offensive as they are to become sensical.

This particular phenomenon however is peculiar to the English language, where there are at least as many offensive words as there are words at all.

True, but have you also ever noticed that a whole lot of German words sound like naughty English ones? So much so, like I actually wondered if the English did some of their own words that way on purpose. :lol: But of course, that'd have to be a pretty ancient conspiracy. I mean, just say a couple sentences in German to a group of English-only people, and you're likely to make at least one person feel that you've thrown a personal insult in there somewhere. :lol: They've got syllables that sound like "hell", "damn", and a few of the naughtier words I'm not even allowed to write here.
Basil Fawlty to visiting Germans about their strange-sounding speech: "Oh, German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you." I would enjoy learning to read and understand German, as it would allow me to greatly expand my book collection to a lot of really interesting ones I can't currently read, but I wouldn't personally enjoy speaking it. No offense to any native-tongued German speakers here.

Like lust meaning something closer to energy.

Ragtime, your posts are getting much more fun.