Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 1:13 am

f**k religion Sand. So what if it's all in the imagination. Love is in the imagination. Love and the belief in God alters people's behavior in a real way that is undeniable. Why aren't we seriously considering the ramifications of the universal belief in a creator?
That's my point.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 1:26 am

Magnus wrote:
f**k religion Sand. So what if it's all in the imagination. Love is in the imagination. Love and the belief in God alters people's behavior in a real way that is undeniable. Why aren't we seriously considering the ramifications of the universal belief in a creator?
That's my point.

And my point is that all investigation by people examining basic phenomena indicate very clearly that no creator is necessary to explain the nature and interactions of the universe. Love is a psychological interaction involving associations of animals (and I do not exempt humans from the animal kingdom). The universe itself exhibits no mechanisms for either loving or hating human or other life. If all life in the universe disappeared, insofar as science has observed, it would not change the nature of the major phenomena in the universe in any noticeable way. In effect, what science indicates is that if humans behave badly or well is a totally human concern and we must take total responsibility for the outcome.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 1:36 am

What about the love that people have for the creator or deities? That is undeniable for the person who experiences it.
It is no more imaginary than having love for an animal or human. If anything it touches on a higher level of intellect and emotion.
I think it is worthwhile to seriously investigate this since it carries so much political as well as personal ramifications to our development as a species.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 1:45 am

Magnus wrote:
What about the love that people have for the creator or deities? That is undeniable for the person who experiences it.
It is no more imaginary than having love for an animal or human. If anything it touches on a higher level of intellect and emotion.
I think it is worthwhile to seriously investigate this since it carries so much political as well as personal ramifications to our development as a species.

Having never come across a deity in my long life I can not express any emotion except extreme doubt about it. I have more intimate interactions with Mickey Mouse than I do with a God and there are many characteristics of Mickey that I admire but love is a bit too strong for such a two dimensional being. I certainly am unconcerned as to Mickey's attitude towards me. The strong emotions a good many people feel towards their particular deity (and there are many more than one) strikes me as more in the nature of a mental aberration than a view of my accepted reality.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 2:14 am

Magnus, you should know better than to argue with Sand like this.

It's a waste of time and effort.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 2:31 am

slowmutant wrote:

It is, of course, unless you produce something beyond deep personal feeling with no convincing evidence in the physical world. I would be fascinated with that.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 3:40 am

Sand wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

It is, of course, unless you produce something beyond deep personal feeling with no convincing evidence in the physical world. I would be fascinated with that.

That's not quite what I meant, Sand.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 7:43 am

Your right slowmutant. Deja vu...

-Pythagoras