Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 10:08 pm

But I'm really worried about him cause he's only a month old and motherless...
Anyone know anything about caring for a solids-eating baby mouse?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 10:17 pm

My brother got some mice a couple months ago, he got them from the markets, one ven gave birth despite the fact he had two females, but I know nothing about looking after them.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 10:22 pm

I thought you meant mouse as in computer mouse. :lol:

I don't think you're suppose to feed it solids at that age but I'm not sure.

Is it wild?

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 10:53 pm

Feed him lots of cheese. :wink:

Those who know, don't speak.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 11:01 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
Feed him lots of cheese. :wink:

Hope that is sarcasm as mice dont realy like or need cheese.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 11:02 pm

^It was. :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 11:25 pm

He's tame but came from a friend (who breeds them) as his mother (and two of his sisters who were malformed :() died, he eats solids just fine but I'm worried about the whole 'socialization' issue as he doesn't have a mommy mouse to teach him. He's also the size of a 20 day old mouse not a 30 day old mouse, I talked to a vet and she said that if he is willingly eating solids and seeming to be getting stronger every day then it is fine to keep feeding them to him.

russian
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2009, 2:59 am

I thought mice were sexually mature by 3 months. I'm pretty sure it eats solid food by that (20 day) age.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 5:34 am

i have not been educated about mice, but i have a family of 8 mice that are "wild". they live in the roof of the shed and come down every dusk to be fed. they are quite unafraid of me. they start eating as soon as i place the food down.

they do not breed madly if they have no access to large food stores. there are always about 8 mice and they have been there for a few years.

anyway, i feed my mice a varied diet of mainly birdseed and sunflower seeds. i give them a small amount of grated cheese every week for their bones. they also like fresh corn on the cob, but i get the mini cobs as they struggle to drag them if they have to run off (like if a bird lands).
also, if i get a burger and do not eat all of it, i take out the beef patty and crumble it and give them that. they very much like it.
sometimes i give them grapes or little bits of bread, but that is rare.

i think it is important to give your mouse branches to climb along and pipes to run through. they like to sit inside pipes if they are scared.
my mice are expert at running through the trees and they seem to enjoy it. it gives them excersize as well.
they need hard things to gnaw (like hard shelled seeds) on otherwise their rodent teeth grow and painfully curl around.

mice dislike heat more than cold, so it is important to have a cool place for it to go to, but also provide clean and warm bedding as well.
mice are actually clean and groom themselves all the time.

i am sure it would be good to get the mouse a companion mouse. my mice are all so social and i imagine one by himself would be very sad.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 7:31 am

well he's always being taken out of his cage by either myself or my grandma and pet, cuddled, ect. so I don't think he's too terribly lonely...

I just worry that because you're not suppose to remove baby mice from mommy mouse till 6 weeks he might be missing out on something important.

jemmus
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2009, 3:02 pm

I've never had mice but I had pet rats. Rats are very social and it's good to have two together rather than just one. I had just one at first, and he used to get very bored and be very desperate to come out of the cage and play. (I have a job and couldn't play with him all day and night, of course). We got another rat friend for him and he was much happier.
I'd recommend being careful about letting your mouse eat too many treats. If mice are like rats, they can get grossly overweight quickly. Be careful about feed with sunflower seeds or peanuts in it. Those are like candy to rodents, and they'll pick them out and ignore the coarser, less tasty millet and other grains. That can cause malnutrition and obesity.
Good luck and enjoy your mouse buddy!

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jan 2009, 3:24 pm

You could probably find out how to care for the mouse by searching on the internet. Or, you could contact a pet store to find out how to care for the mouse. Good luck.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 3:31 pm

well I've checked online - found info on pinkies, fuzzies, and adults but no hoppers :(

He eats a bit of everything, one treat tends to last all day and the rest of the food gets eaten along with it, he loves his food mix almost as much as the treat

TheBobster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jan 2009, 4:11 pm

I just Google'd quite a few searches to find a site I could direct you to, but I'm afraid I couldn't find anything. Best of luck!

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 4:23 pm

Thank you all, I have an exciting update for you:
I've managed to train him to sleep in a specific corner of his cage! This is a big breakthrough as before he'd sleep anywhere including in his food dish :roll:

I'll try to get a pic of him if I can get him to sit still long enough... or maybe I'll just take one while he's sleeping...

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 3:25 am

When we had mice as pets we always had two at a time to keep each other company, and to keep each other warm.