Curvy Women? Autism? How could they be possibly related?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:42 pm

I think from the study the more accurate description is that a majority of men with autistic children tend to not have a preference for body style.

in fact, that's pretty much the only accurate inference you could gain from that study. And even that would require a better sample size.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 8:31 am

I am the only one in my immediate family who has AS. Neither of my parents have autistic traits.

I think that the study sounds like a load of rubbish. My mum is slightly curvy. The guy doing it must have had too much time on his hands.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 11:18 am

based on this study, my mother was curvy when my older siblings were born, transformed herself to Olive Oyl before I was born, and became curvy again when my younger siblings were born. :roll:

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:51 pm

DeanFoley wrote:
It's not that hard to believe.

I mean, physical attractiveness in the general sense does indicate a higher chance of a healthy baby, so...well, if a male picks a woman who is not generally considered attractive, he has a higher chance of fathering a child with a mental disorder.

Now, I must go before the mob descends upon me for calling autism a mental disorder and not the ultimate genetic step.

Hate to bust your bubble, but what is generally accepted by modern culture as a physically attractive figure is generally accepted by psychologists as "anorexia nervosa." While being overweight is a factor in many health issues, so is the opposite. And with modern society's emphasis on losing weight, that seems to be the "norm".

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2009, 1:24 am

I hate this whole women body types debate. Someone always says a mean term towards women with one body type then says a more pleasant term for the latter.

Petite women don't have little boy bodies. That is an insult to petite women and they don't have penises.

I guess alot of asian women have little boy bodies?

It seems trendy to declare what a woman's body should look like. Women come in all shapes and sizes there is no "should" have this or that body type just as not all men SHOULD be muscular. :roll:

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 1:57 am

This is crap. My mother is curvy, I am curvy, and I remember quite a few of the women I have met in the ASD group I went to were curvy too.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 2:00 am

DeanFoley wrote:
It's not that hard to believe.

I mean, physical attractiveness in the general sense does indicate a higher chance of a healthy baby, so...well, if a male picks a woman who is not generally considered attractive

clearly you havent met a lot of women with aspergers. Many are attractive women.

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2009, 2:32 am

zen_mistress wrote:
This is crap. My mother is curvy, I am curvy, and I remember quite a few of the women I have met in the ASD group I went to were curvy too.

Agreed.

Complete and utter crap.

The problem is, people read this stuff all the time and recite it as if it's valid.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 1:20 pm

Maditude wrote:
based on this study, my mother was curvy when my older siblings were born, transformed herself to Olive Oyl before I was born, and became curvy again when my younger siblings were born. :roll:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

As for the article: WHAT????? Get a life. Don´t they have more important things to research??? I mean, what the f-

Being a slim, petite woman myself, I´m tired of reading about how "genetically inferior" I am, supposedly....

Funny how the article blamed men, though, on not being attracted to the "right" woman. We sure live in a strange society...

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 4:19 pm

I´ve been thinking about this since my last post, and I decided: isn´t it true that a bigger waist or smaller hips would be more related to actual bone structure, than to hormones? Is there really any definitive proof that women with a certain shape are more fertile, or have healthier babies??? I keep reading this, and it´s stated over and over again as if it were fact, and yet I have never seen any proof- like in the way of scientific studies- that curvy women have healthier babies. Sure, they´ve done studies about what kind of women men are attracted to- but why assume the reason automatically? I think many men tend to be attracted to the traits in women that make them DIFFERENT from men- hence, the bigger hips and smaller waist. (And bigger breasts, and so on and so forth).

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2009, 4:21 am

This study is so full of holes it looks like Swiss cheese.

If only I had some bread and roast beef to go with it, then I could open my own deli!

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 4:39 am

It's BS! I am skinny and have a curvy figure. However, I knew a AS girl that was skinny and straight up and down - complete opposite.
Downs Syndrome people have similar looks - never heard that for AS though.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 2:05 pm

My family doesn't fit that study. Neither do I, for that matter. I have curves.

galacticbear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jan 2009, 4:09 pm

i really don't see how this is relevant at all...and how exactly are they defining 'curvy'? that is a vague description. 'curvy' could mean anything, really.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 6:03 pm

I just want to add that I like women either way, though I have a soft spot for certain curves. It would be nice if they clarified what they meant by "curvy".

But I also like guys, with no particular preference for their curviness. I wonder what they'd say about that.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:13 am

Let's see...

(disregarding the article for a second because it's from the daily mail and they're one step away from posting articles about Lizard babies and whatnot)

I have Aspergers because my dad does. My mom's straight up and down hips are irrelevant.

Now my paternal grandmother? Hourglass figure.

There. I just blew a big, fat hole through their precious science.