PETA's campaign to rename fish 'sea kittens'

Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:59 am

You gotta read this one for yourself....

Source

Quote:
A CAMPAIGN to rename fish as "sea kittens" in order to improve their image has been ridiculed by the Federal Opposition.
Outspoken animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is using the "sea kitten" name as part of its push to restrict fishing.

"Nobody would hurt a sea kitten!" the group says on its website.

"People don't seem to like fish.

"We're going to start by retiring the old name for good.

"When your name can also be used as a verb that means driving a hook through your head, it's time for a serious image makeover."

The website features images of fish with cats' whiskers and ears.

PETA is using the campaign to entice people to sign a petition calling on the US Fish and Wildlife Service to stop promoting "the hunting of sea kittens (otherwise known as fishing)".

Opposition fisheries spokesman John Cobb was not impressed with the campaign, nor with PETA.

PETA has offended some in Australia with is high-profile campaign against mulesing, the practice of cutting away the skin from a sheep's rear to prevent flystrike.

Mr Cobb said the group had little credibility.

"It is hard to take an organisation which wants to change the name of fish seriously," he said.

Many people might laugh at the sea kitten campaign, Mr Cobb said, but PETA's agenda was actually more sinister: destroying the meat and fish industries.

PETA has convinced a number of large companies to boycott Australian wool which comes from mulesed flocks.

The group argues mulesing is cruel and there are better ways to prevent flystrike.

This is for real too, you should see their website.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:08 am

PETA is truly a wolf in sheep's clothing. Stupid and goofy on the outside, diabolical and briliant on the inside. Montgomery Burns would be proud.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:15 am

PETA are an evil organization, but I can actually kind of see where they're coming from on this one.

y es como un semestre"

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:24 am

Anyone ever seen a catfish? They are some of the ugliest creatures on this Earth.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:28 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
PETA are an evil organization, but I can actually kind of see where they're coming from on this one.

Really? I have fished my entire childhood when the Newfoundland fisheries was still open, and trust me, there are some really ugly fish out there. You could have called them the most cute name ever and I still would have gutted it.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:36 am

Chibi_Neko wrote:

Really? I have fished my entire childhood when the Newfoundland fisheries was still open, and trust me, there are some really ugly fish out there. You could have called them the most cute name ever and I still would have gutted it.

Actually, I hate fish too, they freak me the hell out, but I still think they should get respect.

y es como un semestre"

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:44 am

Speaking of hagfish....

On PETA. They HAVE to be kidding? They've already gone so far into the extreme that they've pretty much alientated the general public. This one just makes them look like idiots. Do they really, honestly, think they're actually doing any good in the world, or is this all for their own benefit?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:49 am

Chibi_Neko wrote:

Actually, I hate fish too, they freak me the hell out, but I still think they should get respect.

Agreed. I can't stand to watch a fish flopping around inside a boat, gasping with its gills. I can't watch a fellow creature drowning in a sea of air, dying. Either club it or throw it back! If you must kill it, make it quick and merciful.

Do you see now what a gentle soul I am ...? :(

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 12:01 pm

It's easy to call yourself an "animal lover" when you're just talking about doggies and kitties. But who says we must love all forms of animal animal life no matter how scary or disgusting they might be?

A hagfish doesn't even look like a fish, realy. It's just a vile slimy thing that lives in water.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 12:21 pm

A hagfish is a type of eel, actually.

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2009, 2:34 pm

I like fish(to watch, don't really enjoy seafood), but calling them sea kittens would sour my view of them. Ok, it probably wouldn't as 1)I would refuse to call them sea kittens and 2)changing the name doesn't change what it is, but the fact that people would take this idea seriously would annoy me.

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2009, 2:46 pm

With Dali, Duchamp and Magritte gone, PETA carries the surrealist torch. They are maddening, but sometimes, as in this case, endearing.

>It's easy to call yourself an "animal lover" when you're just talking about doggies and kitties. But who says we must love all forms of animal animal life no matter how scary or disgusting they might be?

The serious buddhists. I respect that, though I have not been able to live by it. I also draw the line at things that may attach themselves to me and attack me such as mozzies and the like. Smutching them, I do not feel guilt.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 4:00 pm

Animals are meat.

Meat is food.

PETA is a joke.

Nuff Sed?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 4:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
Animals are meat.

Meat is food.

PETA is a joke.

Nuff Sed?

I am just waiting for PETA to try to stop animals from eating other animals. At least when we eat a cow, the cow was killed in a more humane manner then if a lion where to kill it.

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2009, 4:13 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Animals are meat.

Meat is food.

PETA is a joke.

Nuff Sed?

I am just waiting for PETA to try to stop animals from eating other animals. At least when we eat a cow, the cow was killed in a more humane manner then if a lion where to kill it.

Technically speaking they already are. After all, humans are mammals and mammals are animals.

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2009, 4:42 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Anyone ever seen a catfish? They are some of the ugliest creatures on this Earth.

but they taste great.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."