Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2009, 6:11 pm

Providing unwanted information--what my coworker and friend calls, "raining on people's parade."

For example: Just yesterday him and another fellow asked me if I could create iphone applications and I told them most likely if I had a developer suite or some such. Anyway, they had this idea to sell an iphone app for one dollar. It basically was a graphical method for keeping tract of how many containers of water you drank each day. The idea was that you hear you should drink 8 glasses of water a day and that sometimes one might forget how many and a simple application that stores that information for the day would be useful and worth $1.

Well, apparently it is raining on someone's parade to inform them that drinking 8 glasses of water has never been proven to do anything for one's health.

Given the wide array of general knowledge I have, this is something I am notorious for doing.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 6:16 pm

The whole thing about drinking 8 cups (2 litres) of water a day is that your body should have roughly 2 litres of water a day for the average adult. The part of that study that people don't quote is that most of this water comes from the food and beverages you eat and drink everyday, not just from drinking water.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2009, 6:22 pm

Padium wrote:
The whole thing about drinking 8 cups (2 litres) of water a day is that your body should have roughly 2 litres of water a day for the average adult. The part of that study that people don't quote is that most of this water comes from the food and beverages you eat and drink everyday, not just from drinking water.

Right, but it seems that in most instances this isn't wanted information--at least the instance I spoke of.

I did the same thing around Thanksgiving time regarding tryptophan and drowsiness and an old pastor humorously gave me a hard time about fact-checking his sermons.

Last edited by KazigluBey on 09 Jan 2009, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 6:23 pm

KazigluBey wrote:
Providing unwanted information--what my coworker and friend calls, "raining on people's parade."

Yes, exactly what was meant by my post. I do this all the time, I offer my opinion on the subject and am constantly accused of raining on everyone's parade if my opinion doesn't match theirs.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2009, 6:26 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
KazigluBey wrote:

Yes, exactly what was meant by my post. I do this all the time, I offer my opinion on the subject and am constantly accused of raining on everyone's parade if my opinion doesn't match theirs.

Oops, sorry. I thought I thoroughly checked all the posts first.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 6:32 pm

Never let an NT know that you know too much.

Whoever knows where every bone is buried, who said what to whom, and what really happened behind those closed doors must be fired before he or she says the wrong thing to the wrong people and gets us all in trouble.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 6:34 pm

KazigluBey wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
KazigluBey wrote:

Oops, sorry. I thought I thoroughly checked all the posts first.

No problem, I wasn't posting to call you out on repeating my point. Just to agree with you :wink:

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 6:36 pm

KazigluBey wrote:
Padium wrote:

Right, but it seems that in most instances this isn't wanted information--at least the instance I spoke of.

I did the same thing around Thanksgiving time regarding tryptophan and drowsiness and an old pastor humorously gave me a hard time about fact-checking his sermons.

It would still be a good app though, as most people don't care whether or not you can get water from food, and only care that they are drinking it.

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2009, 7:05 pm

Metal_Man wrote:
Using proper manners and ettiquite seems to be a big no-no with NT's these days for I get criticized about doing that a lot. Using gutter slang and disrespectful behavior is apparently the proper way to do things. So I go out of my way to be really polite just to piss people off even more. Being educated and intelligent seems to be another taboo amongst NT's.

That's funny. The NTs are keepin' it ghetto. AS is keepin it real.

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2009, 7:06 pm

Metal_Man wrote:
Using proper manners and ettiquite seems to be a big no-no with NT's these days for I get criticized about doing that a lot. Using gutter slang and disrespectful behavior is apparently the proper way to do things. So I go out of my way to be really polite just to piss people off even more. Being educated and intelligent seems to be another taboo amongst NT's.

That's funny. The NTs are keepin' it ghetto. AS is keepin it real.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 7:38 pm

Huge no no: Never admit to wanting to commit suicide unless you want to land yourself in the hopital. Cause trust me, people really dont want to hear that, even if they supposidly care about you. So if you dont want to check yourself into a hospital, keep it to yourself.

Dont be too truthful, people often dont wanna hear the truth, they want to hear some sugar coated version of it.

Dont constantly accuse people of being liars even if they are.

Dont go too much offtopic when having a conversation, keep most random thoughts to yourself.
I dont know if Im the only person in a conversation: will bring up tons of random thoughts thinking they are connected, but they really arent and all my NT friends think im random as hell.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 7:45 pm

princesseli wrote:
Dont go too much offtopic when having a conversation, keep most random thoughts to yourself.
I dont know if Im the only person in a conversation: will bring up tons of random thoughts thinking they are connected, but they really arent and all my NT friends think im random as hell.

I've noticed that! When emailing my NT friend, I would say something random connected to what is happening around me, normally because I've noticed the conversation dwindling to monosyllabic words, and instead of replying to what I said, she would be all, where did that come from?

But when I'm talking to my aspie friend, we always mention any random thing, like my mum's impression of Jennifer Aniston, etc. Randomness is better!

y es como un semestre"

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 8:29 pm

Never confess to an NT who's trying to sell you something that you really want how much that you really want it.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 8:37 pm

JetLag wrote:
Never confess to an NT who's trying to sell you something that you really want how much that you really want it.

There are some tricks for dealing with salespeople that I read online.

Say you're buying a new car. Firstly, don't let them think you need the car in a hurry, or specifically want that car "right here, right now". They'll suddenly become much less flexible with the price. Secondly, don't let them know what your spending limit is. You can bet they won't give you it for much less than that. Thirdly, don't ask your spouse/partner/whoever their opinion on the car while the salesperson is there. These people are trained to use mind games between a husband and wife to manipulate the final decision.

Those are the main points, anyway.

y es como un semestre"

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 9:25 pm

princesseli wrote:
Huge no no: Never admit to wanting to commit suicide unless you want to land yourself in the hopital. Cause trust me, people really dont want to hear that, even if they supposidly care about you. So if you dont want to check yourself into a hospital, keep it to yourself.

Very true! I'm actually not sure why this is but it seems that to a normal person, any thought of suicide whatsoever = insanity.

I guess I'm pretty insane because I'm not afraid to die...

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:07 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
princesseli wrote:

Very true! I'm actually not sure why this is but it seems that to a normal person, any thought of suicide whatsoever = insanity.

I guess I'm pretty insane because I'm not afraid to die...

I am not afraid of dying per se, but I would not let myself die without a valid reason. One of my favoutite quotes: "I would gladly die for that in which I believe, for who am I without my deepest beliefs and desires?" --- myself.