The Games of Our Lives: Stand-Out *Virtual* Experiences

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Nitz
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2005, 3:58 pm

If I may be so bold, I'll assume that more Aspies than not play video games. I know that I do, and my holiday ritual has tended to involve blowing through gift certificates/cash that my relatives give me on games, and spending hours upon hours fixated on the computer/console/Game Boy. This has been the way I've been since I was 4 years old and played Super Mario Bros. for the first time.

Since then I've been playing games regularly for 16 years. Some highlights of my gaming experiences include;

* Mega Man 3 for the NES; my all time favorite game and the game that hooked me on the Mega Man franchise, leading me to buy lots of different Mega Man games which are all mostly the same game.

* Street Fighter 2 for the Arcade: the game which I wasted the most quarters on, pitifully trying to master the Fireball move ( a process that took years to do, even on a joystick ).

* Chrono Trigger for the SNES; the first time a game's storyline shocked me when the hero got disintegrated in front of my eyes, and the other characters had to continue on without him ( for a while, at least ).

* Yoshi's Island for the SNES; the strangest game I've ever played, paticularly the " Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy " levels ( and this is supposed to be a kid's game? )

* Final Fantasy 7 for the original PlayStation; the first time a game's storyline made me sad, when Aeris got killed.

* Mega Man X3 for SNES: the game I spent the most effort and money on, searching for a copy for months and finally spending $60 on a USED copy. Not the best game in the world, but I worked hard to acquire it.

* Everquest for the PC; the game I've spent the single most time on ever, spending 3+ hours a day ( which now seem completely wasted ).

* Marvel vs. Capcom for the Arcade; my ultimate dream game, finally giving me the chance to play with both video game favorite Mega Man AND comic book favorite Iron Man/War Machine.

* Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for Game Boy Advance: first handheld game I've ever played, starting a period where I always had a portable game on me ( continues to this day ).

* Tekken Advance for GBA: worst game I've ever played, taking a great 3D game and making it a pitiful 2D game.

* Super Smash Bros. Melee for GameCube: the best game for social interaction ever made, not that I've had many opportunities to play it with other people ( being an Aspie and all ).

* Super Mario 64 DS: most dissapointing game I've ever played, taking a great old game and making it a bland, frustrating new game.

* Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories for PSP: Last game I bought, first " Mature " game I've really liked ( before then I was a Nintendo fan, hooked on all things bright and cheery ).

Anyone else got a similar list?

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2005, 4:19 pm

Maybe I'll pay every once in a while (often as part of a social function) but it is rare for me.

I dunno why. *shrug*

Tolian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2006, 9:50 am

I was addicted to EQ for 4.5 years. Before that I was heavily into FPS games. Before that I <3 my Amiga 1200. Before that I liked Nintendo games like Zelda, Mario. Before that I had an Atari 2600.

Yes, I like games. :D

Playing around with an N64 emulator in my spare time right now.

Wait, never mind.