Page 34 of 38 [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2018, 11:02 pm

When you are watching someone else move across a tile floor, scooting forward one tile at a time and think, 'I really want to do that too.'

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 6:06 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
I have an obsession with The Golden Girls and just about every conversation I have with people I tend to talk about a scene from the show at least once.

Yeah. That IS autistic!

Nothing wrong with the show. It was a cute okay sitcom that I watched once or twice back in the Eighties when it was first run.

I am just curious about how you got so obsessed with it.

It ran before your time, and you're not in the demographic that identified with the characters that the show was aimed at.

I don't really know how to explain it. My grandmothers always used to watch the show when they did reruns on Lifetime and when I would come visit them as a kid I watched it too and when I was about 14 I got hooked on the show myself.

There were so many things I liked about the show. It was very funny yet touchy and I was amazed at how these four old ladies handled sensitive subjects that were even more taboo in the 80's compared to today. The ladies were each very compassionate and understanding people and yeah they could be brutal to each other with their insults but it was always just good natured ribbing and if any of them ever took things too far they quickly regretted it and would make up for it.

I wish all people could be like that. In fact I find that most TV shows today are too mean spirited which is why I always prefer that show. It was genuinely funny but it had lot of heart. :)

Cool.

Maybe I should look for reruns of it on cable.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 10:30 am

Every time I see "WH" on the newsfeed of my TV screen, I think they're talking about Wuthering Heights and not the White House. :oops:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 12:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
I have an obsession with The Golden Girls and just about every conversation I have with people I tend to talk about a scene from the show at least once.

Yeah. That IS autistic!

Nothing wrong with the show. It was a cute okay sitcom that I watched once or twice back in the Eighties when it was first run.

It ran before your time, and you're not in the demographic that identified with the characters that the show was aimed at.

I don't really know how to explain it. My grandmothers always used to watch the show when they did reruns on Lifetime and when I would come visit them as a kid I watched it too and when I was about 14 I got hooked on the show myself.

There were so many things I liked about the show. It was very funny yet touchy and I was amazed at how these four old ladies handled sensitive subjects that were even more taboo in the 80's compared to today. The ladies were each very compassionate and understanding people and yeah they could be brutal to each other with their insults but it was always just good natured ribbing and if any of them ever took things too far they quickly regretted it and would make up for it.

I wish all people could be like that. In fact I find that most TV shows today are too mean spirited which is why I always prefer that show. It was genuinely funny but it had lot of heart. :)

Cool.

It really is an amazing show. You'd be surprised at the subjects they covered for a sitcom that came out in the 1980's. Everything from gay rights to homelessness to age discrimination to suicide to AIDs. They even handled Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which at the time was a very unknown illness and Dorothy got to voice her anger at today's doctors because of the unfair way they treated her when she came to them for help.

This show was really ahead of it's time and I feel that many of the issues they dealt with are relevant even to today.

Last edited by TW1ZTY on 14 Oct 2018, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 12:43 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

Yeah. That IS autistic!

Cool.

It really is an amazing show. You'd be surprised at the subjects they covered for a sitcom that came out in the 1980's. Everything from gay rights to homelessness to age discrimination to suicide to AIDs. They even handled Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which at the time was a very unknown illness and Dorothy got to voice her anger at today's doctors because of the unfair way they treated her when she came to them for help.

This show was really ahead of it's time and I feel that many of the issues they dealt with were relevant even to today.

Golden Girls was great! :heart: I'd say I loved Rose most but no, I loved them all most. And it's nice that Bea Arthur is on WP to provide that continuity 8)

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 12:54 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

Yeah. That IS autistic!

Cool.

This show was really ahead of it's time and I feel that many of the issues they dealt with were relevant even to today.

Golden Girls was great! :heart: I'd say I loved Rose most but no, I loved them all most. And it's nice that Bea Arthur is on WP to provide that continuity 8)

I love them all best too! :D They all made the show, but if I had to pick a favorite I think it would be Blanche just because we are both from Georgia. Rue Mcclanahan wasn't even from Georgia but I think she played that character so convincingly. 8)

I also loved the way that Blanche could be very self-centered and man hungry yet she wasn't a bad person and she loved her friends and her family a lot. I especially loved the episodes that focused on her relationships with her family members like Big Daddy, her deceased husband George, her gay brother Clayton, her sisters Virginia and Charmaine whom she didn't get along with, her daughter Rebecca, and her grandchildren who came to visit.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 1:05 pm

I think they handled that issue with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome very well. That was a good episode.

I didn't like how they made Rose feel stupid all the time for everything she did. I wish they would have made her character more like the real Betty White, a good person with a sincere love of animals.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 1:12 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I think they handled that issue with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome very well. That was a good episode.

I didn't like how they made Rose feel stupid all the time for everything she did. I wish they would have made her character more like the real Betty White, a good person with a sincere love of animals.

Yeah they were often too hard on her. I mean she told crazy stories about her hometown but I don't believe that she was really stupid, just a bit naive about life. In a lot of ways she reminded me of somebody with Aspergers.

But I did like the episodes when Dorothy, Blanche, and Sophia were being good friends to her and trying to help her with her problems. Like my personal favorite being the one when she was devastated and paranoid about somebody breaking into their house and the girls were trying their best to help her get over her fear about what had happened.

Even though they could be very mean to her you could tell that they were still very close friends and I loved it. :)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 1:16 pm

^ I thought Rose's character had a bit of dementia, maybe.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 1:19 pm

I haven't seen it in 30 years but I remember thinking Rose was very sweet, and easily exploited just like most of us.
I love them all though. (Good points about Blanche; I didn't realise she isn't even southern in real life).

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 1:27 pm

Raleigh wrote:
^ I thought Rose's character had a bit of dementia, maybe.

I don't believe it was really dementia but in one episode she explained that her grandfather was the one who told her all those crazy St. Olaf stories and that he would also call her by her sister's name and other odd stuff so that's probably where Rose gets all her facts mixed up. :lol:

One of the things I loved most about Rose was her ability to call the other characters out on their B.S. without being mean about it. She was never outright insulting like the others but she could say things like:

"Sophia, maybe you did what you did because you're just a mean old lady like the paperboy says?"

Or when Blanche tried to say "I don't look right in American clothes, I have a more European body" and Rose said "Do they all have big butts in Europe?"

Or when Blanche was offering to show two teenage girls her beauty secrets and said "Let me show you how I transform into a fresh-faced innocent young thing" and Rose said "Can you skip the innocent part Blanche? The movie starts in two hours"

:lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm

You wish it were socially acceptable for an adult to take a teddy bear out.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 1:11 pm

Joe90 wrote:
You wish it were socially acceptable for an adult to take a teddy bear out.

At least now it's socially acceptable for adults to watch cartoons. :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 6:47 pm

I often carry a little plastic monster named John who scares bad things away. (Um... since I was 11). :roll:
He's small enough to hide in my bags!

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 9:01 pm

I have a stuffed bulldog toy that I named King Henry who sits on my shelf and he is NOT a childhood toy. Somebody gave him to me a few years ago.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 9:04 pm

I named every doll I ever owned "Amy" because I wouldn't have been able to differentiate them by name otherwise, and it was my favourite name. I had a favourite Amy but I seldom played with them lest they got damaged. (And because I had no idea how a mother should act).