Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What is your favorite martial art referenced?
Jiu Jitsu 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Okinawan 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Jeet Kun Do 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Choy Gar 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Nintaijutsu 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2009, 6:25 am

sethzack wrote:
KazigluBey wrote:
sethzack wrote:
I just thought about posting this and figured it would be a good idea, I am very interested in martial arts. Jiu jitsu, okinawan, jeet kun do, choy gar, nintaijutsu, (not ninjitsu) and I think there's some more I can't remember but my point is it is very hard having AS and trying to do martial arts so I thought I would ask if anyone has heard of a famous martial artist or fighter having AS and being succesful. I have been pretty depressed today and some encouragement would be great so has anyone heard of this and if so who are they and what martial art do they practice?

When I was younger (15) I was involved in Tae Kwon Do and did fairly well at it. In fact, this was one of two sports I have been able to do well in (the other is inline skating)--all others I completely sucked at doing. I can't say I would have been great as with both I seemed to have meet my fullest capabilities somewhat quickly, but I did do well enough to actually enjoy both.

Wow quite a lot of people into Ta Kwon Do, I wonder why that is...

TKD is the most popular martial art in the world, however that is because most people who train in it train in the Olympic style, not the traditional style.

Also, Bruce Lee studied TKD. I don't know what rank he held (I think the Founder of TKD, General Choi Hong-Hi gave him an honorary master rank, but I can't remember).

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2009, 8:24 am

I'm not a practitioner, but my interests would be more towards Krav Maga or the Abir Warrior arts.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 9:39 am

Mine in not on the list but the closest is Jeet Kun Do.

I do Wing Chun which what Bruce Lee did also, training with Yip Man the head of my lineage.

My understanding was the Bruce did the fist and second form, not the third, dummy (although you can see in one of the movies) or weapons, which is one of the reasons he wanted to develop and “open fist” style. Perhaps if Bruce had not decided to teach foreigners, maybe Yip Man might not have done. Understandably this was a big step, and there was much opposition to it, especially how Chinese were treated as the “yellow peril” in the early twentieth century.

See here Bruce is doing a punch and wu (guard hand), and Yip man is doing bong sau and his guard hand is ready to lap sau. Bread and butter stuff.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 2:07 pm

Some kind of kung-fu.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2009, 5:49 pm

sethzack wrote:
Before I say anyhing else I have to point out you made three errors in my username, First you capitalized the S, second you also capitalized the Z, and last you also misspelled Zack. I am sorry but I am particular about my username, it has been my identity most of my life...

Hey, sethzack, my apologies. I usually notice these things.

Glad you found my feedback helpful. It would be great if you became the first famous martial artist with AS. Then we can all say we knew you when!

P.S. Please make sure you pronounce my screen name properly. :wink:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:20 pm

I've done several throughout my years:

Japanese:
Karate
Iaido (drawing of the sword and striking)
Kenjutsu (basic military sword fighting)

Chinese:
Chow Gar Tong Long Kung Fu (Southern Mantis boxing)

Iaido seemed like the most effective to me if you ever had to defend yourself (it's all over in an instant), but then, carrying a sword is frowned upon in most societies.

O, wait, no, IDPA was the most effective and coolest; pistol shooting is a martial art. Running through the courses, performing tactical/speed reloads on the run, leaning out from behind cover and double tapping a cardboard silhouette is groovy. However, most societies frown upon carrying a pistol (and many don't even allow people to own them and partake in the recreation above, so not everyone will be able to experience the total coolness of IDPA if they wanted to).

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:28 pm

Who do you think first came up with the idea of harnassing the mind so that it blended with the body and became a single entity? The study of the arts is the very core of what being autistic is all about. Alternate forms of perception and expression.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:55 pm

cman_yall wrote:
sethzack wrote:
I don't have a killer instinct either, I don't want to hurt anyone I just want to be left alone and defend myself mostly.

Bad news... most "defensive" moves in martial arts have little or no chance of working in real life, unless you're really fast and/or the other guy is slow/dimwitted/drunk or all three. The only real effective "defense" is a swift killer-instincty attack and run the hell away while he's recovering.

I didn't say I focus on defense did I? I just meant that is someone does pick a fight with me they will regret it throughly.

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:56 pm

chasingthesun wrote:
sethzack wrote:
KazigluBey wrote:
sethzack wrote:
I just thought about posting this and figured it would be a good idea, I am very interested in martial arts. Jiu jitsu, okinawan, jeet kun do, choy gar, nintaijutsu, (not ninjitsu) and I think there's some more I can't remember but my point is it is very hard having AS and trying to do martial arts so I thought I would ask if anyone has heard of a famous martial artist or fighter having AS and being succesful. I have been pretty depressed today and some encouragement would be great so has anyone heard of this and if so who are they and what martial art do they practice?

When I was younger (15) I was involved in Tae Kwon Do and did fairly well at it. In fact, this was one of two sports I have been able to do well in (the other is inline skating)--all others I completely sucked at doing. I can't say I would have been great as with both I seemed to have meet my fullest capabilities somewhat quickly, but I did do well enough to actually enjoy both.

Wow quite a lot of people into Ta Kwon Do, I wonder why that is...

TKD is the most popular martial art in the world, however that is because most people who train in it train in the Olympic style, not the traditional style.

Also, Bruce Lee studied TKD. I don't know what rank he held (I think the Founder of TKD, General Choi Hong-Hi gave him an honorary master rank, but I can't remember).

That's cool, I didn't know a lot of that. Thanks for the info.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:57 pm

Nephesh wrote:
I'm not a practitioner, but my interests would be more towards Krav Maga or the Abir Warrior arts.

I have not heard of either of those. :?

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:59 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Mine in not on the list but the closest is Jeet Kun Do.

I do Wing Chun which what Bruce Lee did also, training with Yip Man the head of my lineage.

My understanding was the Bruce did the fist and second form, not the third, dummy (although you can see in one of the movies) or weapons, which is one of the reasons he wanted to develop and “open fist” style. Perhaps if Bruce had not decided to teach foreigners, maybe Yip Man might not have done. Understandably this was a big step, and there was much opposition to it, especially how Chinese were treated as the “yellow peril” in the early twentieth century.

See here Bruce is doing a punch and wu (guard hand), and Yip man is doing bong sau and his guard hand is ready to lap sau. Bread and butter stuff.

That is pretty cool, I had never heard of that one either. I only look into the martial arts I hear about or see and decide if I like it or not from there, the ones on the list are the ones I like.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:00 pm

Sora wrote:
Some kind of kung-fu.

There are many styles of kung fu.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:02 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
sethzack wrote:
Before I say anyhing else I have to point out you made three errors in my username, First you capitalized the S, second you also capitalized the Z, and last you also misspelled Zack. I am sorry but I am particular about my username, it has been my identity most of my life...

Hey, sethzack, my apologies. I usually notice these things.

Glad you found my feedback helpful. It would be great if you became the first famous martial artist with AS. Then we can all say we knew you when!

P.S. Please make sure you pronounce my screen name properly. :wink:

It is OK, I shouldn't be so obsessed with my username but it's a big part of me. Thank you again and I don't quite know how to pronounce your name but I can spell it instead, thanks neshamaruach.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:04 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
I've done several throughout my years:

Japanese:
Karate
Iaido (drawing of the sword and striking)
Kenjutsu (basic military sword fighting)

Chinese:
Chow Gar Tong Long Kung Fu (Southern Mantis boxing)

Iaido seemed like the most effective to me if you ever had to defend yourself (it's all over in an instant), but then, carrying a sword is frowned upon in most societies.

O, wait, no, IDPA was the most effective and coolest; pistol shooting is a martial art. Running through the courses, performing tactical/speed reloads on the run, leaning out from behind cover and double tapping a cardboard silhouette is groovy. However, most societies frown upon carrying a pistol (and many don't even allow people to own them and partake in the recreation above, so not everyone will be able to experience the total coolness of IDPA if they wanted to).

I don't like swords all that much but that IDPA does sound really cool even though I would only use a gun if I really had to.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:04 pm

I love Aikido most of all. Hope to teach it someday.

Grappling is really great too.

I have always had trouble to preset katas on my own. Have always had trouble remembering.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:05 pm

garyww wrote:
Who do you think first came up with the idea of harnassing the mind so that it blended with the body and became a single entity? The study of the arts is the very core of what being autistic is all about. Alternate forms of perception and expression.

I had never thought of that, that is very interesting. I always thought you were really wise, thanks for not disappointing. :)