Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:02 pm

silentbob15 wrote:
Well duh, I know that, I was asking graphics the look and feel of the Sims compared to SL, I have never ran the Sims, how is this funny?

I was also referring to the graphics, the look, and the feel when I said they are absolutely nothing alike.

edit: for more detail...
In my experience the graphics on Second Life are choppy, dull, and just plain horrendous quality. The graphics on the Sims (especially on a better computer) are very smooth, colorful, and inviting.

Second Life to me feels like wandering around in an MMO with no real objective or purpose. In the Sims you constantly are working towards something. You have short term objectives with fulfilling basic needs like hunger and comfort, and you also have short term wants to fill which can be things like "flirt with another Sim". You also have clear long term objectives such as a job promotion, and even a lifelong objective for each Sim which can really vary but is typically something like reaching the top of your career or marrying off 4 children.

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 2:25 pm

Kirska wrote:
Fautzo wrote:
I have that game, i like it, though I don't play it much because i'm sick of cleaning up my sims messes, but the sims 3 sounds like it cleared out the boring things like that, so that's on my buy list.

You can automate almost everything like that. If you call services on the phone on Sims 2 (as well as Sims if I remember correctly) you can hire a maid who will show up every morning and clean everything for you. You can also hire a gardener, nanny, repairman, etc. etc. They are relatively inexpensive and one adult salary will cover all of these services.

Are servos back? :?

I always loved making an army of them... :P

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 2:30 pm

Relicanth7 wrote:
Kirska wrote:
Fautzo wrote:
I have that game, i like it, though I don't play it much because i'm sick of cleaning up my sims messes, but the sims 3 sounds like it cleared out the boring things like that, so that's on my buy list.

You can automate almost everything like that. If you call services on the phone on Sims 2 (as well as Sims if I remember correctly) you can hire a maid who will show up every morning and clean everything for you. You can also hire a gardener, nanny, repairman, etc. etc. They are relatively inexpensive and one adult salary will cover all of these services.

Are servos back? :?

I always loved making an army of them... :P

I think you can have one in the open for business xpac but I'm not sure because I didn't really like that one so I don't have it installed.

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2009, 6:39 pm

I think I got over the whole Sims thing quite a few years ago. It is only fun for a while, but then it gets a bit too repetitive imo. I mean, there is only so much you can do. I guess I am going to have to get Sims 2 someday. I actually bought it ages ago but it didn't work on the pc I had. I have had two better computers since then so it won't be a problem now. My computer can play Crysis.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 8:59 pm

moonlightwhisp wrote:
Veresae wrote:
I <3 The Sims. It's very flawed but I love it anyway. You can see my sims by clicking my myspace (WWW button, below) then going to my pictures and going to the sims pictures section.

Oooooo, where do you download your custom content? I've been searching high and low for good quality alternative wear for my Sims.

Mostly MTS2, really, because it always ends up linking to other sites--countless other sites. So I dunno. Oftentimes I edit stuff to change the color or something, which isn't always allowed without permission but I forget who made the downloads before I edit them usually. XD I have too many! Hahah.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 9:57 am

I don't really like playing with the people and if I do, the need to socialize annoys me, but I love making the houses and spends hours doing it. The Open For Business expansion is kind of fun, too, though.

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 2:05 pm

Veresae wrote:
moonlightwhisp wrote:
Veresae wrote:
I <3 The Sims. It's very flawed but I love it anyway. You can see my sims by clicking my myspace (WWW button, below) then going to my pictures and going to the sims pictures section.

Oooooo, where do you download your custom content? I've been searching high and low for good quality alternative wear for my Sims.

Mostly MTS2, really, because it always ends up linking to other sites--countless other sites. So I dunno. Oftentimes I edit stuff to change the color or something, which isn't always allowed without permission but I forget who made the downloads before I edit them usually. XD I have too many! Hahah.

LOLZ nice... :lol:

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 5:00 pm

Oh man, I want a computer with a DVD drive. Can't get the new Sims2 (and soon Sims3) for PC-CDrom anymore... I hate computers and their inferiority...

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 5:24 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Oh man, I want a computer with a DVD drive. Can't get the new Sims2 (and soon Sims3) for PC-CDrom anymore... I hate computers and their inferiority...

Consistant hardware across the board (as consoles have) could be looked at as both an advantage and disadvantage. The obvious advantage is that the developers know with 100% certainty what they are programming for. The advantage to the consumer is that (with some exceptions, especially on current-gen consoles) the game will "just work" right out of the box.
However, this is also a disadvantage. Computers can be upgraded in increments in order to meet the requirements for newer and better games. Once the next crop of consoles is released, you HAVE to buy a whole new machine. There are also some games that work much better with a mouse and keyboard than with a controller. First-person shooters, at least in my opinion, are among these. The Sims would also be a good example, although I haven't played any of the console versions. Also, using the Sims again as an example, PC games tend to be more "expandable" than console games. And you also have a much more freedom to modify the games and have access to more user-generated content, which is a big thing right now.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 5:25 pm

drowbot0181 wrote:
Jellybean wrote:

Consistant hardware across the board (as consoles have) could be looked at as both an advantage and disadvantage. The obvious advantage is that the developers know with 100% certainty what they are programming for. The advantage to the consumer is that (with some exceptions, especially on current-gen consoles) the game will "just work" right out of the box.
However, this is also a disadvantage. Computers can be upgraded in increments in order to meet the requirements for newer and better games. Once the next crop of consoles is released, you HAVE to buy a whole new machine. There are also some games that work much better with a mouse and keyboard than with a controller. First-person shooters, at least in my opinion, are among these. The Sims would also be a good example, although I haven't played any of the console versions. Also, using the Sims again as an example, PC games tend to be more "expandable" than console games. And you also have a much more freedom to modify the games and have access to more user-generated content, which is a big thing right now.

Btw, I've seen DVD-ROM drives for as low as $10 online. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it just needs to be able to read the disc.

Dobbin
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jan 2009, 6:45 pm

I play Sims as well.
My sims keep on dying in cooking fires. -.-
Not fun.

Sims 2 I really like it.
But I can't wait for Sims 3.

My problem is that you can't play the game without the CD being in the drive.
Which I think is silly.
Because I really want to play the game now, but I'm to lazy to find the CD.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 10:53 am

Dobbin wrote:
I play Sims as well.
My sims keep on dying in cooking fires. -.-
Not fun.

Sims 2 I really like it.
But I can't wait for Sims 3.

My problem is that you can't play the game without the CD being in the drive.
Which I think is silly.
Because I really want to play the game now, but I'm to lazy to find the CD.

There are ways around this using a no-cd fix. Most of the sites that have them are filled with viruses, etc. though so you have to be really careful.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 1:25 pm

I've played the Sims before. It can't hold a candle to SimCity, though.

SimCity got me where I am today careerwise.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 1:38 pm

drowbot0181 wrote:
There are also some games that work much better with a mouse and keyboard than with a controller. First-person shooters, at least in my opinion, are among these. The Sims would also be a good example, although I haven't played any of the console versions. Also, using the Sims again as an example, PC games tend to be more "expandable" than console games. And you also have a much more freedom to modify the games and have access to more user-generated content, which is a big thing right now.

I would have thought that FPS was the one major gaming genre (aside from driving games, but I don't consider those to be a *major* genre) that is largely the domain of the console... with exception of Half-Life (and the related Counter Strike), almost all major FPS games are released for console first, and then maybe getting a half-hearted PC port later on...

On the other hand, the RTS remains the PC genre... the ability to control entire armies and do basic things like box-select and group select just require the usage of a keyboard and mouse... With exception of the upcoming Halo Wars and a port of Supreme Commander, I haven't seen any modern RTS for any console...

Adventure and RPG are largely split between the two, with most Eastern (aka JRPG) games coming out on Japanese-made consoles, while most RPG's made in America are released on PC (although the Xbox is starting to pick many of those titles up, especially from big RPG developers like Bethesda and Bioware...)

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 7:13 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
drowbot0181 wrote:
There are also some games that work much better with a mouse and keyboard than with a controller. First-person shooters, at least in my opinion, are among these. The Sims would also be a good example, although I haven't played any of the console versions. Also, using the Sims again as an example, PC games tend to be more "expandable" than console games. And you also have a much more freedom to modify the games and have access to more user-generated content, which is a big thing right now.

I would have thought that FPS was the one major gaming genre (aside from driving games, but I don't consider those to be a *major* genre) that is largely the domain of the console... with exception of Half-Life (and the related Counter Strike), almost all major FPS games are released for console first, and then maybe getting a half-hearted PC port later on...

On the other hand, the RTS remains the PC genre... the ability to control entire armies and do basic things like box-select and group select just require the usage of a keyboard and mouse... With exception of the upcoming Halo Wars and a port of Supreme Commander, I haven't seen any modern RTS for any console...

Adventure and RPG are largely split between the two, with most Eastern (aka JRPG) games coming out on Japanese-made consoles, while most RPG's made in America are released on PC (although the Xbox is starting to pick many of those titles up, especially from big RPG developers like Bethesda and Bioware...)

FPS's are a large portion of the console market, but I'm not disputing that. I'm simply saying that you have WAY better control using a mouse and keyboard. You just can't aim the same way and with the same accuracy using a controller.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 7:13 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
drowbot0181 wrote:

FPS's are a large portion of the console market, but I'm not disputing that. I'm simply saying that you have WAY better control using a mouse and keyboard. You just can't aim the same way and with the same accuracy using a controller. And every console shooter that is released for the PC is inferior to it's PC counterpart.