Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 9:43 pm

I'm scared for others, but not myself.

I think there's something after death, but I'll wait until I die to figure out what it is.

This might be better in the Philosophy section though :D

Last edited by ebec11 on 14 Jan 2009, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 9:54 pm

I have to belive that there is a way to live on and for this mind to have an imortal presence somewhere, so any thing that can stop that hapening scares me a little bit. I guess this may be why I belive that there is life after death, but at the moment I also want to have an impact on existance beyond something tiny that doesnt realy matter.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 12:10 am

don't take life seriously. no one gets out alive.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 Jan 2009, 6:41 am

Yes, it scares me a lot.
I used to deny that it scared me until one night 2 years ago I ended up in an ambulance with suspected heart problems and I was begging the paramedics to not let me die. :lol:

I don't believe in anything after death. Once we're gone, that's it, so we have to make the most of our lives.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 7:41 am

Quote:
Does it scare you?

No.

Quote:
Do you believe in anything beyond corporeal existence?

I have no idea what happens when one dies.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 9:30 am

I am a little scared of death. More or less I think because ti just happens some one can be there one day and gone the next. * squeezes eyes* Also there is pain in death sometimes. I believe you go to heaven or hell.

hal9000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2009, 2:06 pm

I am not afraid of death, I am afraid of living.

Dobbin
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jan 2009, 2:12 pm

I am not scared of death.
It's a reality we have to come into terms with.
It's funny how people ask, what would happen if you only had a week to live? Or, what would you do if you only had 24 hrs to live?
And then it's a giant facepalm. Every month, and every day of your life ill or not you only had a week to live and you only have 24 hours everyday.
Everyday you are on a time limit of when you are going to die and if you are going to live.

Now as to there being an afterlife, I do not know.
I am a heavily supernatural person, I like supernatural, it certainly would be cool to have an afterlife.
But I also like to believe there is some sort of human aura we have and that aura is somehow responsible for bringing in new human lives.
Reincarnation in a sense.

Angstromicus
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jan 2009, 7:05 pm

Am I afraid of death? No... The pain of getting there is another story, though.

I am not afraid of death because I believe it's merely a transition to the next life - be in heaven, limbo, hell (I'd rather not this be a possibility, of course), reincarnation as some other sentient life form in the universe, etc.

It would truly be frightening to not have life in some form or another after death! Just imagine ceasing to exist after death - or not existing before birth. I think it's not sufficient to define our existence with memories. Seeing, smelling, tasting, touching, hearing, and emotion - my memory is far from perfect, and this is how I remember most things. I experience the emotions I remember, I taste the foods I remember, I feel the sensations I remember, I see the sights I remember, I smell the scents I remember, and I listen to the words, phrases, numbers, and intellectual facts that I remember (though I generally see this and all of the above, because I tend to see or make up pictures of things I remember). I was existing at the times I formed these memories - yet, I forget 99.99% of the things I experience with the above five senses, including emotion.

We forget these memories through physical processes in the brain that either filter out information or let it degrade. We remember these memories through similar physical processes. But I still existed regardless of forgetting those memories. I existed as a newborn, as a baby, a toddler, and a small kid - even though I've forgotten my existence on account of all the methods I have to remember life back then. I don't remember exactly when my existence began, but my mom can tell me of her memories about me when I was little, back to the first time I kicked inside of her womb. It is because of my inability to remember correctly now I can not give my existence a definite time line up until now. Who says that I didn't exist before I was born? Since my physical body could not have carried the memories of any previous lives, I could not determine then - or now - when I started existing. This fact makes it feasible to die and be reincarnated over and over, because not being able to remember previous lives (although some people claim to remember past lives - or even future ones) does not approve or disprove the possibility of life before birth (or after death) in the sense of reincarnation.

I am growing tired of thinking philosophy here, so I'll wrap it up. I think both ceasing to exist and reincarnation suck. They both seem much the same to me. Someone who survives a brain injury but gets a bad case of amnesia may essentially have a new identity. In reincarnation, it would be to the same effect to die, except a new identity would be regained in a new body (be it human, or perhaps otherwise). It's really sucks because in either case, the person with the existence dies (though keeping existence is a perk). When my body dies, this identity, Michael Turner, dies with it. If there is an afterlife for the soul, there is still no afterlife for Michael Turner. Who knows, maybe the soul will remember that identity (and any others before it), but the body it will inhabit won't be capable of remembering. In which case, there would be an afterlife for Michael Turner, but not an "after rebirth". Though, I can't imagine what would happen in the afterlife. Would my soul assume the identity of Michael Turner, a previous identity, or a fusion of identities. It's scary to think about it. I would hate to replace any past identities of my soul, and I'd hate to be replaced by any future identities of my soul. I wouldn't like the idea of being digested in a melting pot of identities of my soul, either. I really don't know how it would work out with reincarnation, but all the options seem to suck for Michael Turner. But, of course, this is considering that people even have souls. I'd say that with no souls, there'd be no afterlife. But I do agree that there probably is no afterlife for Michael Turner. I'll have to think it out.

Edit: Oh, and every time I said "Michael Turner", I was speaking in third person about myself (my the identity of my physical body and mind).

Edit 2: I have a second opinion about death. I had a vivid dream about dying and reincarnation, and about my identity fading with death. Michael Turner being doomed to dying or being repressed may not be such a bad thing. Ignorance is bliss, and being able to enjoy MGS4 all over again (I've gotten bored of that game, but it was extremely fun, along with several other games/hobbies), would be quite nice :).