Friends Treating You Like A Younger Sibling

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 10:48 pm

Have you ever had friends treat you like a younger brother/sister even though you may have been years older than them?

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 10:51 pm

I'm only one year younger than them but yes, they do treat me like I'm a whole lot younger.

Alisscious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2009, 11:05 pm

HA! I am 29 and most of my friends give me just the perfect amount of 5 year old coddling. Love it! TO have people willingly explain situations or choices or events, makes me feel very loved. I just have to remember not to do the same to them, on accident, while describing certain concepts.

Modality
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2009, 11:12 pm

This has never happened to me.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:27 pm

My friends haven't done that (they wouldn't have stayed my friends for very long if they had), but friends of my friends have.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Chimaeran
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2009, 12:19 am

It's kind of the reverse for me... because I'm into science but not normal pastimes, people my age treat me like an older cousin. I try to at least act interested in *yawn* fashion and soap operas, but they can see through it. Ah well. Oh and I keep my anime and manga obsession almost a secret :wink:

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 1:45 am

When I started to have friends for the first time back junior/senior year of highschool, they did kinda treat me like I was younger even though I was older. I did sorta reley on one as like an older sister. Now, some do some dont.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 4:30 am

Yes.

People said things like:
"Oh wow thanks for telling me, you're clued up."

Talked to me like an adult, sometimes using technical language.

Then smiled, called me "charming" and given me a "pat on the head", especially the girls.

It's horribly confusing.

What do they want from me?

15 Jan 2009, 4:57 am

Yes they did and my peers. I feel I get treated like a kid at work by a few employees and I have been given kid gloves. People even laugh at the things I say sometimes as if I'm a child and I get told I'm cute by some people.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 7:06 am

yes, all the time. my friends have a reason for that though, they are indeed slightly older than me (I went to school early and was in one class with them). not that it's at all noticeable now. but I've been a very late bloomer in pretty much every field so I'm not surprised. they are light years ahead of me.

then there's my friends parents who have known me since a little kid and who treat me like an adoptive daughter... they don't seem to see an adult in me much more than any other people.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 9:30 am

People i know - well - they all look after me. they tell me i am like a weird brainiac hyper-sensitive big kid. My younger sisters when we were growing up were often assumed to be older than me. (but not anymore since the ravages of time have had their way with me....)

Last edited by millie on 15 Jan 2009, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMARTIE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2009, 9:38 am

Yes - my friends do this all the time. Which I guess has its good and bad points, as I often need pointing in the right direction, but it can be frustrating for me at times too.

When I lived at home, it was also often assumed by visitors that my sister was the eldest much to her disgust! (she is 18 months younger than me).

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2009, 9:41 am

Sometimes they do. I guess that is because I sometimes reacts in a childish way. This don't happens often, only when I'm stressed and about to loose it. In general I manage to stress down for myself, so not many ppl have seen me in my worst moments. So, I am treated as one of the gang, but it's a real small gang.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 11:45 am

Ugh, my husband treats me like a younger sibling even though I am 3 years older than him and rather more responsible too.

cmastler
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2009, 12:34 pm

Duh all the time. Or at least that's so with some, anyways.

I don't really mind...as long as their not trying to take advantage of me or anything (but the people i hang out with should know i hate that anyways).