Love both of them equally 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Hate both of them equally 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
I don't care for either one of them 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 7:25 pm

Alice in Chains was the only grunge band that had any real talent. The rest just plain sucked and I was glad when that fad was over. While some hair metal was crap there was at least some attempt at real musicianship. Grunge was really just a contest to see who could suck the most. I prefer prog and black metal over grunge or hair metal.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 10:51 pm

Metal_Man wrote:
While some hair metal was crap there was at least some attempt at real musicianship. Grunge was really just a contest to see who could suck the most. I prefer prog and black metal over grunge or hair metal.

Grunge, as I stated earlier was essentially an outgrowth of the punk scene, where a lot of bands got their start by listing to other punk bands play and essentially realising that they could do the same thing as well. A lot of people grew out of it, grew tired of it, or stayed with it and instead of playing three chords, grew musically without falling into the cliche 'typewriter guitar lead' syndrome that became cliche with a lot of metal. --Bands like No Means No, Shellac, Killdozer, and Radiopuhelimet come to mind.

FWIW, Alice In Chains earliest Sub Pop releases sounded like they were the token metal band for Sub Pop. Other than that, I happen to like a lot of Metal as well, but hate the Sunset Strip type metal that was wildly popular in the 80's.

ghfreak13579
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2009, 7:00 pm

Grunge is way better, even though the guitar parts weren't what you call epic.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2009, 11:39 pm

grudge!! !! !! !! !! !
i love it and miss it!! !
nirvana, alice in chains, pearl jam, stone temple pilots they are all good!

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 7:24 am

I don't know if you'd include Iron Maiden as a hair metal band, but I'd put them ahead of just about every grunge band I've ever heard.

Apart from The Pixies perhaps - that is if you'd call them a grunge band.

If The Pixies aren't grunge, then I'd say my fave grunge album was Copper Blue by Sugar, and I'd put them ahead of every hair metal band I've ever heard - apart from Iron Maiden.

In conclusion then, I don't know.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 12:23 pm

I like grunge...but I also love 'sytem of a down' atm, which I only seem to have just discovered - so I may get more in to metal.