Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 1:25 pm

Kris94 wrote:
Does anyone here scream/yell/shout when there is a sudden loud noise?

I might let out a startled "whhuhh?!" with a very loud sudden noise.
I usually jump or flinch noticeably with loud sudden noises.
Sometimes this reaction is accompanied by a flourish of repetitive motor movements/stimming.

The issue for me is the degree to which I am involved in something.
Very often, I am deeply involved in one thing. Little to no peripheral attention.
So when there is any interruption at all, I am always at least a little bit startled.
Sometimes very much so, and I might give one of the above reactions.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jan 2009, 1:39 pm

Loud noises really bother me. And certain not so loud noises can do---just depends on the type. I also cannot stand hearing liquid slosh in a bottle, or someone slurping soup, etc. If a loud is continually overstimulating me in a bad way, I sometimes yell, "Get quiet!! !" (like with my kids) after I ask them to quiet down. I later feel ashamed doing that. In public, I will wince, shake my head, or leave the area. I find stimming helps deal with it.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 1:54 pm

I do feel like yelling but the best I can do is cover my ears.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 1:57 pm

glider18,

your post got me thinking more about this.
Loud noises on their own don't really bother me. I actually find that being enveloped by certain kinds of loud noise is calming to me.

However, there are very subtle, nuanced, quiet sounds that will irritate and unnerve me to the point of totally unravelling.

Things like
- people whispering behind me. Hearing that makes my entire body shudder and contort like I have just been given an electric shock.
- repetitive harsh sounds. The distant sound of yelling, crying or dogs barking. sniffling or coughing. After a short time of hearing these, I just want to escape at all costs.
- rustling leaves or shuffling paper.
- various kinds of liquid sounds like the ones you mentioned.
- doors being opened and closed

I could go on. I never really stopped to think about the depth and breadth of my sound sensitivity. Interesting topic.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2009, 9:17 pm

Acacia wrote:
glider18,

your post got me thinking more about this.
Loud noises on their own don't really bother me. I actually find that being enveloped by certain kinds of loud noise is calming to me.

However, there are very subtle, nuanced, quiet sounds that will irritate and unnerve me to the point of totally unravelling.

Things like
- people whispering behind me. Hearing that makes my entire body shudder and contort like I have just been given an electric shock.
- repetitive harsh sounds. The distant sound of yelling, crying or dogs barking. sniffling or coughing. After a short time of hearing these, I just want to escape at all costs.
- rustling leaves or shuffling paper.
- various kinds of liquid sounds like the ones you mentioned.
- doors being opened and closed

I could go on. I never really stopped to think about the depth and breadth of my sound sensitivity. Interesting topic.

Eerily similar to what bothers me. I remember going to a baseball game when I was younger, and how unbearable it was when the crowd cheered after a homerun, etc. Even covering my ears was not enough. The strange thing about my sound sensitivity, is that I have listened to aggresive music at full volume(usually), for a LONG time, and it does not bother me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 9:20 pm

No, but I'm quite sensitive to loud noises.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 11:01 pm

Yes, I scream when I hear a sudden, unexpected loud noise and so does my dad. He is Asperger's and I am high functioning autistic. Even when the phone rings I make a sound.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:04 am

I dislike loud noises, bright lights and certain types of touches.

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2009, 1:38 am

As a child I loved trains ...... from a distance.

If mom and I were in the car and had to stop at a RR crossing I would scream and bury myself down on the floor of the car as far as I could. (These were the days before cars had seatbelts.)

The siren of the train as it approached the crossing, the shaking of the ground as it rolled passed, the squeal of metal on metal - it was all too much for me.

I wasn't too crazy about fireworks shows either. I liked them from a great distance, but I would go into hysterics if we were actually right there underneath them. Especially when they would set off the "sonic boom" flash bangs.

Back when I was a child there were fairly regular sonic booms caused by airplanes as well. (I think they have now set regulations in place against planes causing them.) I would be out playing in the yard and a sonic boom would go off, and I would yell and collapse on the ground crying.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:47 am

I have problems with noises in general.. even small noises will make me jump & make my heart race. But loud noises are much worse. When I hear fireworks unexpectedly, I do scream. I hate the sound of motorcycles, trains, thumps, people shouting, etc. They all put me on edge.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:50 am

When I was a child I would cry with loud noises.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 3:19 am

BellaDonna wrote:
When I was a child I would cry with loud noises.

I was that way with thunder.

KirliaGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2009, 7:04 pm

I am sensitive to noises in general, but the worst for me are people screaming. Not the terrified, "I'm in trouble!" screaming, but the screams prompted by the phrases, "Are you ready?!" and "I can't hear you!! !" Those two phrases provoke frustration in me. I know that screaming with them helps to dim the noise, but I usually can't, and I hear a hum/whine in my ears when people (at places such as a summer camp) scream, especially in small-ish rooms. Whenever I hear the whine, I start to feel sick. Like, physically sick. Weird, huh?

cmastler
Raven
Raven

24 Jan 2009, 10:34 am

Well...I can't STAND the sound of yelling. I think that would count...

Some other sounds probably make me jump, too. But espesally the sound of yelling...I can't stand it....x__x;;;

I'm happy with how I am, I don't care if nobody understand's. Because i'm just me, nomatter what.

And, yes...i'm 18 years old. Or I could be 12. Does it even matter?

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 12:26 pm

Loud noises p*** me off to no end sometimes.

taintedangelboy
Raven
Raven

24 Jan 2009, 12:40 pm

I am usually fine with loud sudden noises, but if I hear someone scream or yell I freak out.

Which would be funny in a way if I was walking with you and there was a loud noise, then you screamed because of the noise, then I scream because you screamed.