Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 4:24 pm

So I have a year-end review thing with my boss tomorrow at work. Aside from being upset about the interuption to my work and the social aspect of it, I am very concerned about two things.
The first is that I am required to fit myself into a certain category that determines what style of management works best on me. There are only 4 and, surprise, none of them fit me. So what do I say to that? I can't tell the truth and say that I think it is all a load of new-age crap and it is a waste of time and resources.
The other thing is that I am afraid that the fact that I don't socialize at all will come up as a negative (it has before, early on when I started here). I've used the "it takes me awhile to warm up to people" line far longer than I should have (I've been here for almost a year) and I don't know what to say about this if it comes up. Should I tell them I have A.S. if they ask about my lack of socializing?

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 6:50 pm

What is the social aspect of the work?
In other words, how is socialization more valuable than productivity?

Humor: Would you get a raise for dating the secretary?

Not humor: If the answer is YES, then I think you should call in sick and file sexual harassment charges against him, since he already gave you a negative evaluation for neutral personal life activities, that is, for NOT doing anything that's NONE OF HIS BUSINESS.

Serious: It seems to me that this wicked new-age garbage is not at all what it seems to be.
(For example, a point against your social life or lack thereof is an excuse to fire you just because he doesn't like you.)

Disclaimer: I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.