Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KtMcS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2004, 12:13 pm

someone please explain 'honors class' and 'honors student' to me please! (or honours class as we would call it- if we had it) Other posts on here talk about it and I've read jokes about it [also failing to understand the joke in general!)

cheers ducks!

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2004, 12:34 pm

Here's what I think they are:

Honors class-- A class for people advanced in the certain subject(s) they teach there.

Honors student-- A student advanced in school or certain school subjects.

:!: Mich :?:

the_enigma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2004, 9:20 am

It's for students who are above average in a particular subject and are placed in a more advanced class for that reason.
Do the have anything equalivent to a Honors class in the United Kingdom?

KtMcS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2004, 5:59 am

the_enigma wrote:
It's for students who are above average in a particular subject and are placed in a more advanced class for that reason.
Do the have anything equalivent to a Honors class in the United Kingdom?

no, not really. Most schools have 'sets' from 1-5 for most subjects, set 1 being for the brightest kids and so on. Some subjects (in the case of my school- maths) are accelerated for the top set and they take their exam early- that depends on the school. I don't know if set 1 is equalivent to a honors class.
its also very rare for people to be moved up a year (grade). I've only found this happen once in any of the schools I've been in.

the_enigma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2004, 9:02 am

It's also very rare in America to move a full year up in every subject. Some kids in America can skip an entire year of math, science or both and take the exams earlier but they won't be able to skip an entire year unless they are found to be extremely intelligent which is very rare. I've never seen that happen before.

UltimApe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2004, 10:06 pm

no one would ever skip me up. I should have been skiped up like 6 times now. But they were afraid of me losing freinds and social interactions.

Broken systems suck.

What freinds?...

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2004, 4:25 pm

Many of my home girls have been skipped 2-3 grades, but decided to stay with their friends and take fun classes for the last 2-3 years.. :)