Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

NEWanderer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2009, 1:47 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
NEWanderer wrote:
A hand sign additionally? I think the the extended 2nd and 4th digits would be good, since it would show a biomarker for the autism spectrum.

Problem is we don't know if testosterone has anything to do with autism so we can't really use a hand sign.

In science of course there is little certainty. There is good evidence of in utero association. As for Asperger's there is in vivo evidence of characteristic activity of one of the serotonin receptors, which could explain associated levels of testosterone. I think the association of higher testosterone is not as strong as with congenital adrenal hyperplasia but it's there.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 6:45 am

NEWanderer wrote:
philosopherBoi wrote:
NEWanderer wrote:
A hand sign additionally? I think the the extended 2nd and 4th digits would be good, since it would show a biomarker for the autism spectrum.

Problem is we don't know if testosterone has anything to do with autism so we can't really use a hand sign.

In science of course there is little certainty. There is good evidence of in utero association. As for Asperger's there is in vivo evidence of characteristic activity of one of the serotonin receptors, which could explain associated levels of testosterone. I think the association of higher testosterone is not as strong as with congenital adrenal hyperplasia but it's there.

Until more scientist come and say they have proven this theory then it is just a theory nothing more also don't forget a lot of autistic people were abused because people believed theories as fact.

NEWanderer

01 Mar 2009, 10:33 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
NEWanderer wrote:
philosopherBoi wrote:
NEWanderer wrote:

Until more scientist come and say they have proven this theory then it is just a theory nothing more also don't forget a lot of autistic people were abused because people believed theories as fact.

As Richard Dawkins has succinctly pointed out, in science there are no proofs; in math you have proofs. In biology everthing is a theory. Cell theory is a theory, evolution is a theory...
Theories are evidence-based. I certainly am not be the last person to urge caution when it comes to clinical practice.
Maybe you know something I don't but can you name some theories that led to abuses? I can name many abusive practices but most were not well-supported by evidence.

fatallonglost
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2009, 10:45 am

just my two cents: I don't feel much like a puzzle piece...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 6:42 am

A cure for being myself? No thank you!

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 6:08 pm

Anything is better than that annoying puzzle!

I am not a puzzle. I am a person. I am sick of people trying to figure me out. Just let me be!

I think the rat symbol of cockneyrebel would make a good logo.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!