Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 4:27 pm

I was thinking we need an Autism Pride Symbol. Now I know their is a puzzle piece but we need something to show we are proud to be autistic anyways organization like Autism Speaks use that and we don't want people to group us together or anything of that nature. So what do you think our symbol should be?

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 4:34 pm

Remaining on the puzzle piece theme I suggest Banjo's Jiggles, if Rare is ok :lol:

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 4:41 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
Remaining on the puzzle piece theme I suggest Banjo's Jiggles, if Rare is ok :lol:

That would be amazing but their is the copy right issue and the confusion it might cause. Instead of true autism awareness they might think we are Banjo fanatics lol

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 6:04 pm

Maybe a shiny gold puzzle piece.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 7:25 pm

gbollard wrote:
Maybe a shiny gold puzzle piece.

Which is exactly what a Jiggle happens to be :wink:

nicknickattack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2009, 7:48 pm

Long Google link

take ur pics

ike
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 7:49 pm

Here's a concept draft... anybody like this?

- Rainbow colors for neurodiversity
- the border around the outside is intended to indicate the inherent "aut-ness" of autism
- the A in the middle (again, for "autistic") is a transparency knock-out, representing a certain kind of "invisibility" or you might say "omitted perception" (which could be applied to us, our relationships or what we would like out of life in a lot of different ways)
- the black triangle in the middle of the A is to add a solidness to the image and to imply an upward pointing arrow indicating the "pride" aspect

If folks like this, we can work on it.

I'm open to changes or even flat out alternatives, this is just what came to mind for me.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 8:37 pm

ike wrote:
Here's a concept draft... anybody like this?

- Rainbow colors for neurodiversity
- the border around the outside is intended to indicate the inherent "aut-ness" of autism
- the A in the middle (again, for "autistic") is a transparency knock-out, representing a certain kind of "invisibility" or you might say "omitted perception" (which could be applied to us, our relationships or what we would like out of life in a lot of different ways)
- the black triangle in the middle of the A is to add a solidness to the image and to imply an upward pointing arrow indicating the "pride" aspect

If folks like this, we can work on it.

I'm open to changes or even flat out alternatives, this is just what came to mind for me.

It is very pretty, yummmy can I eat it???? Ummm sorry it just looks so yummy ^_^ But perhaps we should stay away from rainbows like that since the GLBT community uses the rainbow so much. But I think it should be bright so it catches attention and easy to figure out what it is from far away even if it is small.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2009, 8:54 pm

I was definitely thinking along the lines of a stylized "A" as well. I agree that the rainbow colour scheme should be rid of though.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 9:11 pm

Since autism is a spectrum state of mine perhaps we could do something to symbolize that as well.

mycats
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2009, 9:47 pm

If the symbol is a ribbon, I would suggest a tie died ribbon.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 9:56 pm

If the symbol is a ribbon it could be half-morphed with an A.

And for colors how about a different spectrum?

garmonbozia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jan 2009, 10:02 pm

I remember taking part in a similar discussion on AFF on whether to use rainbows or not. Everyone there liked the infinity sign. (I even use a variation of it on my avatar.) Is the infinity sign regarded as a mainly AFF symbol or is it more universal?

Whatever you do, please don't use the jigsaw puzzle symbol. That's a curebie symbol, and I want nothing to do with it. (Whatever your position is on that debate, don't you think the jigsaw piece represents one extreme of it?)

The design posted above (transparent "A" in a circle with rainbow background) looks nice just the way it is.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 10:07 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
It is very pretty, yummmy can I eat it???? Ummm sorry it just looks so yummy ^_^ But perhaps we should stay away from rainbows like that since the GLBT community uses the rainbow so much. But I think it should be bright so it catches attention and easy to figure out what it is from far away even if it is small.

I have my reservations about using a rainbow for the same reason that it might be misidentified as a glbt symbol... it's unfortunate because it's probably the best way to express a "spectrum". I'm also hesitant to use puzzle pieces because I'd prefer to dissociate it from the autism speaks material, since they're really not an aut "pride" org. This basic shape ought to be easily identified at a distance though... need to figure out how more people feel about the "color spectrum" or possibly how to represent it another way...

I suppose we could use several shades of gray with solid bars instead of a gradient... to represent a spectrum of "gray matter".

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 10:12 pm

A good logo is plain enough that an unskilled artist should be able to draw it reasonably well from memory.

I agree with the basic shape, but not the colours (rainbow) however the "rainbow" in another spectrum idea sounds cool. Just stick to 7 colours, not a dither.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 10:47 pm

ValMikeSmith wrote:
If the symbol is a ribbon it could be half-morphed with an A.

And for colors how about a different spectrum?

I think that would certainly prevent the association with GLBT.

Here's a color mod of the original. I don't think this would be mistaken for a GLBT symbol... I'm not sure about the specific colors tho...