Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 7:28 pm

I wouldn't feel this angry if they had told me that I have ADHD, Asperger's, OCD and whatever other bulls**t I may or may not have when I was a youngster in junior high and had gotten the help I needed to make me a productive member of society in my adult lifetime but chose to ignore it all and become a basement-dwelling fu**up slacker.

Fact is, I was in some programs for "at risk" youth for no other reason that I was in foster care. They did their part to teach me about money management, finding a job, interview skills and whatnot. I never had any bio-feedback sessions, targeted counseling, tutoring, mentoring, or the schooling and tools I feel I could have used to become that model citizen or the productive member of society I know I could have become had I been given those things at the right times.

I'll keep you updated

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 8:03 pm

Have you secured the services of a reputable lawyer?

What is the statute of limitations on the "crimes" they committed against you?

Were they acting in "good faith" and/or in accordance with established legal policies?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 8:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
Have you secured the services of a reputable lawyer?

What is the statute of limitations on the "crimes" they committed against you?

Were they acting in "good faith" and/or in accordance with established legal policies?

No

Don't know

I have no idea.

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 8:29 pm

digger1 wrote:
I wouldn't feel this angry if they had told me that I have ADHD, Asperger's, OCD and whatever other bulls**t I may or may not have when I was a youngster in junior high and had gotten the help I needed to make me a productive member of society in my adult lifetime but chose to ignore it all and become a basement-dwelling fu**up slacker.

Fact is, I was in some programs for "at risk" youth for no other reason that I was in foster care. They did their part to teach me about money management, finding a job, interview skills and whatnot. I never had any bio-feedback sessions, targeted counseling, tutoring, mentoring, or the schooling and tools I feel I could have used to become that model citizen or the productive member of society I know I could have become had I been given those things at the right times.

I'll keep you updated

Asperger's by itself is not something that will make you into a basement dwelling slacker what you become regardless of your illness is up to you. It is not their responibility to check if you have certain "disorders" it is however something that your foster parents should have looked into. In either case with or without what you become is soley on your shoulders so blaming someone else is rather foolish in my opinion. Good luck with the court case.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 9:10 pm

Abangyarudo wrote:
In either case with or without what you become is soley on your shoulders so blaming someone else is rather foolish in my opinion. Good luck with the court case.

Disheartening in that someone is the sum of what they are brought up to be.

Some have old me that I can be or do anything I want to be or do in life.

Others more closer to me have told me that I'll amount to nothing.

If I'm a ward of the state, it's their responsibility to treat me as if I'm their own kid. That means to give me a proper education. Feed me, clothe me, treat me when I'm sick and comfort me when I'm in distress. Some of those were met, others not.

mycats
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2009, 9:44 pm

It's frustrating having to call the bar association asking to be referred to a lawyer to protect the civil rights of an Autistic. I might as tell them I'm from another planet and I want my civil rights on earth protected.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 10:13 pm

AS didn't exist as a dx until 1996. I couldn't have got help when I was young, because the condition wasn't recognised.

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 10:24 pm

digger1 wrote:
Abangyarudo wrote:
In either case with or without what you become is soley on your shoulders so blaming someone else is rather foolish in my opinion. Good luck with the court case.

Disheartening in that someone is the sum of what they are brought up to be.

If I'm a ward of the state, it's their responsibility to treat me as if I'm their own kid. That means to give me a proper education. Feed me, clothe me, treat me when I'm sick and comfort me when I'm in distress. Some of those were met, others not.

as an example I had deep depression where I tried to take my life 3 times with the same idealogy. It is flawed and since then even though I haven't had mainstream success with career because I'm still in school I've done alot that most people don't get to do in their lives. I've been every position in student films you can think of (acutally except for an actor I can't act unless it closely resembles me and well thats not acting), I've been in the development process of student video games (I currently took a break from it because I'm developing my own idea for the final), I've fenced(I wasn't good because I overthank but in situations where I am faced with a most better opponent I meet the challenge since they don't give me thst chance to over think), and most importantly of all those things I have become a person who I can be proud of.

This is a far cry from when people said I will not even make 16 and if I did I would be nothing. What you become is up to you and your raising while it may create aspects of your personality the final product of who you are is up to you. My family as an example lie alot, are depressed, do drugs, have no respect for the law, etc. The greatest people out there have come out of the worst circumstances. I think in genereal if you want to believe you'll be nothing fine but then blame the right person for it.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:09 am

When I was in second grade and in sixth grade (there's a point to this relevant to your case, I'm not just hijacking your topic), I had my IQ tested for my school's gifted program. In second grade, it was apparently too low. In sixth, it was just perfect for their standard.

A few months ago, I was reviewing the result of the sixth grade (this was in 1997) test and I noticed the gap, a 41 point gap, between my perceptual IQ and verbal IQ. Now, this is something the school psychologist would have noticed and SHOULD have said something about. A gap like that is indicative of *some* sort of problem.

I wasn't diagnosed until just recently.

Sue them for me, too. :wink:

(and the moral of this story is, if your IQ was ever tested by the school, get the results. Get everything you can get your hands on before they know you're suing them or they might not be as "free" with their info)

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 10:21 am

MizLiz wrote:
When I was in second grade and in sixth grade (there's a point to this relevant to your case, I'm not just hijacking your topic), I had my IQ tested for my school's gifted program. In second grade, it was apparently too low. In sixth, it was just perfect for their standard.

A few months ago, I was reviewing the result of the sixth grade (this was in 1997) test and I noticed the gap, a 41 point gap, between my perceptual IQ and verbal IQ. Now, this is something the school psychologist would have noticed and SHOULD have said something about. A gap like that is indicative of *some* sort of problem.

I wasn't diagnosed until just recently.

Sue them for me, too. :wink:

(and the moral of this story is, if your IQ was ever tested by the school, get the results. Get everything you can get your hands on before they know you're suing them or they might not be as "free" with their info)

Acutally thats not really an issue due to the fact that iq tests are very inconsistant. On some I did near genius level others I got close to mental retardation. I initially thought it was just me but many people who are NT said they had the same experience. So really I don't know if it would tell you anything since you could just get different scores for different tests.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:13 am

The employment rate for AS is very low (10%) so I don't think you can prove that better help would have made you more economically productive.

My personal experience is that your social support network is what can make or break your life, so I'd concentrate on finding one if you can. Perhaps if you studied something that fascinated you, or joined a club of the same sort, you'd meet people who shared your values, and that might lead to something.

But the prognosis for people with ASDs is not good no matter what, especially if you don't have a loving family, so be practical - listen to your instincts in terms of choosing a path. Don't waste your time doing what other people think is a good idea unless your gut agrees.

If you don't have a blog, sometimes venting your life story and putting it on record can help. It may make it easier to get support, too.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:03 pm

Anemone wrote:
The employment rate for AS is very low (10%) so I don't think you can prove that better help would have made you more economically productive.

Source? Also I noticed you're in Canada - is that a Canadian statistic or representative of AS worldwide?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:13 pm

digger1 wrote:

It depends on which of the two you chose to believe. Either can become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited by TallyMan on 24 Jan 2009, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:32 pm

The 5 or 6 other IQ tests I've had since (I'm not telling why I've had them) have all shown the same pattern. Maybe it's just you.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 1:15 pm

t0 wrote:
Anemone wrote:

Source? Also I noticed you're in Canada - is that a Canadian statistic or representative of AS worldwide?

I had copies of a bunch of papers at one point but don't have them anymore. I think at least two of them were from the UK (where they actually pay attention to adults on the spectrum more). I think Patricia(?) Howlin was one of the authors. You can do a search for journal articles fairly easily, and if you file a complaint, your opponents certainly will.

There was one Canadian paper (Szatmari et al?) with I think 25% of their 16 subjects employed and living independently, but I don't think that was a representative sample. I have seen 3% of adults on the spectrum employed and living independently in an NAS document recently.

NAS booklet on services for AS:
http://www.nas.org.uk/content/1/c4/39/26/takeresp.pdf

TheEvolutionOfLife
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2009, 1:43 pm

digger1 wrote:
I have ADHD, Asperger's, OCD and whatever other bulls**t

I have traits from all 3 of those. Go for it and sue their arses.