Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 7:11 pm

I sometimes feel that boredom is a good cure for being too busy.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:22 pm

Maybe your boredom is caused by too much leisure time.

Either studying a degree or getting a job will resolve it quick time, and you'll find you get far more enjoyment out of simple leisure activities also.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:28 pm

When I'm bored I look up stuff on the net or I open my book of knowledge, which has random facts in it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:33 pm

I always try to have some sort of project going, but lately, I have been running low on ideas.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:24 am

Sora wrote:
Seriously, I think I must be the most bored on this planet.

I am bored most of the time and in such an intensity that hardly anything manages to breaks through my boredom. I'm a person that needs to be occupied with something, but alas, such is hard to find.

Most thrill and mysteries are a matter of moments until they're solved. I remember boredom to be my most present state of mind since I'm a toddler. Horrible, torturing boredom. All day long.

I live for the new, for riddles, risks, challenges and for plain stupid danger, but it's hard to come by.

Sure, there are a lot of things to try, but most of it will either have you end up in mortal peril or in prison. I'm not mad, I have my priorities and I do not plan to rise my crime rate above 0%. Zero is good, makes me feel special because most normal people have already committed minor crimes.

So what to do?

Go out? I do. It's a momentary release of boredom and often not even that. Find a hobby? I tried hundreds of things in the last 15 years. Go to clubs? Within my limitations of autism, I do that too. They become boring quickly. Find an extreme dangerous, thrilling activity? Like what? Maybe if I were rich.

And then there's the whole matter about finding a job soon... gosh, a job! You got to be kidding me to force me into 1 job for more than 40 years! Or more than a few months for that matter. I see myself going to pieces already.

Am I the only one like this? I'm most curious how other people manage in similar positions as myself. But I have never before met anyone with such an intense, life-long boredom of the world as me.

Whenever one my my kids told me he/she was bored I told him/her to count the hairs on their forearms. Doing so would arouse their interest in numbers.

ruveyn

stjarna
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2009, 10:49 am

anna-banana wrote:
nah, I'm hardly ever bored. my attention shifts from one thing to another at the speed of light, with no space for boredom.

I'm like this too. :D

Hmm... Hope you will find something solid (and not dangerous) to keep you from boredom, Sora.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 12:37 pm

I don't get bored too often, when I am by myself I will either engage in hobbies or watch some DVDs.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 12:52 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Whenever one my my kids told me he/she was bored I told him/her to count the hairs on their forearms. Doing so would arouse their interest in numbers.

:lol:
Seriously though. Boredom is less about not having anything to do and more about not having anything you really want to do. As a kid I always hated those kinds of comments from adults. Tedious chores don't exactly alleviate real boredom. :roll:

AspieBrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm

marshall wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Seriously though. Boredom is less about not having anything to do and more about not having anything you really want to do. As a kid I always hated those kinds of comments from adults. Tedious chores don't exactly alleviate real boredom. :roll:

I totally sympathize. I have a grandmother, and whenever I say I'm bored, she gives me a chore. I think she thinks this will help me repress the feeling of boredom, but it really only makes me avoid asking for help with my boredom.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 11:43 pm

AspieBrain wrote:
marshall wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

I totally sympathize. I have a grandmother, and whenever I say I'm bored, she gives me a chore. I think she thinks this will help me repress the feeling of boredom, but it really only makes me avoid asking for help with my boredom.

Yup. I absolutely hate that.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 12:37 am

Wow. It's a rare treat to see a topic I killed over two years ago revived to life. :D

I sometimes wondered if I can help myself enjoy leisure time more when I'm able to look forward to it after an obligatory period of obnoxious drudgery that is normal life. But I don't know how to not procrastinate and put off said drudgery when I'm already in a state of insatiable dissatisfaction even in my leisure time. That and even leisure activities are immediately a drag if I'm in the worst possible slump and there's absolutely nothing to motivate me as there's nothing to look forward to period.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

16 Jul 2011, 1:11 am

My mind is always racing, thinking up new thoughts and imagining impossible things.

I feel like a optimist... :?

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 8:08 pm

Sora wrote:
Seriously, I think I must be the most bored on this planet.

I am bored most of the time and in such an intensity that hardly anything manages to breaks through my boredom. I'm a person that needs to be occupied with something, but alas, such is hard to find.

Most thrill and mysteries are a matter of moments until they're solved. I remember boredom to be my most present state of mind since I'm a toddler. Horrible, torturing boredom. All day long.

I live for the new, for riddles, risks, challenges and for plain stupid danger, but it's hard to come by.

Sure, there are a lot of things to try, but most of it will either have you end up in mortal peril or in prison. I'm not mad, I have my priorities and I do not plan to rise my crime rate above 0%. Zero is good, makes me feel special because most normal people have already committed minor crimes.

So what to do?

Go out? I do. It's a momentary release of boredom and often not even that. Find a hobby? I tried hundreds of things in the last 15 years. Go to clubs? Within my limitations of autism, I do that too. They become boring quickly. Find an extreme dangerous, thrilling activity? Like what? Maybe if I were rich.

And then there's the whole matter about finding a job soon... gosh, a job! You got to be kidding me to force me into 1 job for more than 40 years! Or more than a few months for that matter. I see myself going to pieces already.

Am I the only one like this? I'm most curious how other people manage in similar positions as myself. But I have never before met anyone with such an intense, life-long boredom of the world as me.

Nope. I can beat out your boredness.

YES! That is why I am on the internet all the time.

Try just go out adventuring, and bring 5 dollars, it is fun.

I know the feeling. I even want to just get a job because my parents are constantly bugging me to do something with my life this summer.

I remember, at one point in my life, being busy and content.
I had track, church, school, clubs....I think if you have a combination of things to do, then you'll feel busy.

That's why I am excited to go back to school.