Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Are humans the most intelligent species in the universe?
No 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
Yes 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Aliens exist and we are learning from them 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aliens are trying to kill us to take over the planet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gays are taking over the planet 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Dumb people are taking over the planet 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Women shop too much and consumerism is killing the planet 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Macdonalds is the devil 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Atheism is boring and so we make up myths to get by in this dreary world as orphans 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
John E. Mack is a prophet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 2:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:
that was a silly, trivial and biased set of alternatives. It is not a serious poll.

ruveyn

That's why I choose 'Gays are taking over the planet' it seemed the silliest,most trivial and biased option.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 5:03 pm

Magnus wrote:
If someone came along with an idea that could possibly destroy your world view, would you be able to conduct yourself like a proper scientist and dismantle your state of mind in accordance with new ideas that create a possible new way of thinking in order to fathom new possibilities?

I hope so, otherwise I'd be out of a job!

However, I learnt long ago that I can't trust my own mind. It does what it likes, I have no influence at all.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 11:01 pm

Aliens exist and we are learning from them - no proof yet, but that's because of the Men in Black

Aliens are trying to kill us to take over the planet - Maybe we could sell it to them; real estate could use the money...;)
Gays are taking over the planet - too many old men in bad clothes for that to be true.
They're not nearly stylish enough...;)

Dumb people are taking over the planet - they never relinquished power in the first place..;)

Women shop too much and consumerism is killing the planet - women took over long ago. ooops...that was supposed to be a secret, right?...;)
Macdonalds is the devil - no, Bojangles is, but I still eat there...;)

Atheism is boring and so we make up myths to get by in this dreary world as orphans
no...that's Hollywood that does the myths.
John E. Mack is a prophet - Who?

My world view is about 5'7", and through thick glasses...;) Dang, what I'd give for real formatting...;)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 11:38 pm

Dumb people are taking over the world.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 1:36 am

Dumb people have taken over the planet!

I was sort of drunk when I made this thread. :oops: It was a late depressing night and I was reading John E. Mack. I won't make a habit of doing this. My apologies Orwell.

I think I was going to try to make some lame ass attempt at some Socratic teaching. My opinion at the time was that humans form world views and then we adhere to them, much to our folly.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 1:52 am

Fnord's new signature:

Quote:
Good girls go to Heaven.
Bad girls go to Hell.
Nice girls go everywhere in between.

Ahem...where are we supposed to go between? The taint?

I like, "Well behaved women seldom make history."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 11:38 am

Magnus wrote:
Fnord's new signature:
Quote:
Good girls go to Heaven.
Bad girls go to Hell.
Nice girls go everywhere in between.

Ahem...where are we supposed to go between? The taint? I like, "Well behaved women seldom make history."

Taint? What taint?

If you're the type of woman that spends her days in prayer, worship, and performing kind acts out of love for your god, then you'll go to Heaven.

If you're the type of woman that nags, manipulates, and performs nothing but cruel and self-aggrandizing acts out of pure meanness and spite, then you'll go to Hell.

But if you're the kind of woman that knows how to make everyone feel special - especially lonely, wealthy bachelors - then you're likely to go places that the good woman would never think of going, and where the bad woman would not be welcome for very long.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 4:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
But if you're the kind of woman that knows how to make everyone feel special - especially lonely, wealthy bachelors

Wouldn't bad women do that? if there is no place for carnal things in Heaven. Which in that case, good girls go to Heaven, bad And nice girls go to Hell ;)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 5:21 pm

I chose the "dumb people" option.

Speaking of which, anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 5:51 pm

greenblue wrote:
Fnord wrote:
But if you're the kind of woman that knows how to make everyone feel special - especially lonely, wealthy bachelors

Wouldn't bad women do that? if there is no place for carnal things in Heaven. Which in that case, good girls go to Heaven, bad And nice girls go to Hell ;)

There's a big difference between feeling special and feeling exploited. Good people can behave in a nice way, and be indistinguishable from bad people in that respect, but a nice person that is always nice - diplomatic, polite, and willing to negotiate an equitable compromise or transaction - and is easily recognized as different from people that are motivated by the "greater good" or selfish desire. Their neutral facilitation is often preferred over either passion or compassion.

If everyone gets along with everyone else, and everyone's needs are met, then there is often no need for "altruistic" good or "carnal" evil. Of course, this is the Utopian ideal, and can never be permanently achieved, but as an ideal, it is a goal nonetheless.