Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2005, 11:41 pm

Insert_Nickname_Here wrote:
Some humans have an apparant need to believe in a "higher power." Some have transcended this "need."

When confronted by realities one cannot overcome, what use is your reasoning?

You haven't transcended any limitation of man or religion. Religion merely frames our limitations in a way which is easier to manage.

Quote:
There is no proof that any specific higher being exists. Religious texts are inaccurite. People who have visions are delusional. I (like many others) remain agnostic.

1) Nobody claimed such things can be proved. People left in wanting of such proof avoid the whole purpose of religion to begin with.

2) Religious texts like the Bible are indeed accurate. Take Genesis for example, what is that story really trying to say? It frames the concept of our creation and how we became who we are in allegory, but it's still accurate. Can we go back to the garden of eden? I suppose if you thought the garden of eden was a physical location and you had a jet you could use calculus to figure out how much fuel you would need to get there, but you're avoiding the whole POINT to the story!

I have as much respect for people who reject religion on the grounds that it isn't science as I have for creationists who try to take the Bible literally (which nobody can do anyway).

3) Agnostics are only atheists fooling themselves.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2005, 11:54 pm

Quote:
Oh pray art out our father when will the people use the intelligence they were born with and stop using an old (regularly boring and proven many times to be flawed) book to do their thinking and positions for them?
And I see the point of this verse (and my posting it) just flew right over your head.

You don't even sound like you've read the quote I posted, just as Bertrand Russel didn't sound like he'd even read the gospels. But oh well, I suppose you've just proven it's the height of autonomous intelligence to quote the words of those skeptical of religion to do your thinking for you, just not to read the gospels and actually find something that directly adresses them, because, you know, they're boring and have frequently been proven to be inaccurate and all that stuff skeptics like to say. And that anyone who finds anything of interest or value in the Bible must be a brainwashed sheep. Truly, you are overflowing with original thought.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2005, 11:59 pm

Agnostics are non-commital on the matter and atheists believe that there isnt and are skeptical. What are you trying to say anarkhos. You could say everyone was fooling themselves but that in itself means nothing, you need to explain why if you expect to be taken seriously.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 12:01 am

There are few agnostics that I would call "true agnostics". These are the ones that remain steadfast of their uncertainty and neutral position, but study the subject closely and form all angles. Most other people who call themselves agnostics are just lazy atheists who are afraid of sounding close-minded.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 12:06 am

Thagomizer wrote:
anyone who finds anything of interest or value in the Bible must be a brainwashed sheep. Truly, you are overflowing with original thought.

Thanks, i feel i am enlightening people every day. I have came to the conclusions i have myself as i used to be religious once but i would be lying if i said that i havent agreed with biblical innacuricies that others have pointed out but this was only after i started to question and doubt the bible. I have also read many pro-religious books (yes including the bible, not in the one sit-down though).

As i have already pointed out i used to be a christian and have came to a different position myself through questioning my beliefs. Where you ever an atheist and have you ever seriously considered their position with a fairly open mind?

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2005, 12:12 am

[quote="eamonn"]Agnostics are non-commital on the matter and atheists believe that there isnt and are skeptical. What are you trying to say anarkhos. You could say everyone was fooling themselves but that in itself means nothing, you need to explain why if you expect to be taken seriously.[/quote]

I don't even know how to parse what you've typed. Here is my best try:

"Agnostics are non-commital on the matter<b>,</b> and atheists believe that there isn<b>'</b>t <i>[something missing]</i> and are skeptical."

"What are you trying to say anarkhos<b>?</b>"

"You could say everyone was fooling themselves<b>,</b> but that in itself means nothing<b>.</b> <b>Y</b>ou need to explain why <i>[something missing]</i> if you expect to be taken seriously."

Fortunately for me, <b>Thagomizer</b> pretty much summed it up in the next post.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 12:23 am

Yes, take the piss you silly thing as you clearly have nothing to say that means anything. Your obviously upset that i have proved your BS non-points to be exactly that.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 1:34 am

Well, seriously, I wouldn't expect anything more or less from the 700 club on this subject.... :roll:

Pixel8
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2005, 1:41 am

Not wanting to stir things up....but,

Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons? :lol:

Oh! And Happy Yuletide (it's 6:41am in U.K)
whatever your celebrating today have fun.

Insert_Nickname_Here
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2005, 5:59 pm

We will never know if there ever was an Adam or an Eve, nor will we know if they have navels if they existed.

Force Lightning PWNS!

fionaban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2005, 7:29 pm

so wot do u think of healing?

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him will not die but have everlasting life." John 3:16

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 7:46 pm

adam and eve never exicted

From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

Pixel8
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2005, 9:20 pm

I was attempting to be humorous.

A bit like god saying, "Don't touch those apples".
Then hid behind a bush and waited...

post-ante
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2006, 1:49 am

The only thing that looks good on me is you.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2006, 3:46 am

(everything i do) i do it for you. 8)

grayson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2006, 4:29 am

Pixel8 wrote:
In order to spawn (I love that word) the next generation did Caine and Abel sleep with their mum or did they have sisters to get off with? :lol:

They got wives from the Other People :-).