The Secrets of Successful Smalltalk: Question

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

hybrid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2005, 5:15 pm

I found the article "The Secrets of Successful Smalltalk" (http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... le&sid=292) pretty interesting, but it left me with some questions.

Quote:
Aspies lack some or all of the social cognition circuits to decode and give off intuitive body language. However, because of research done mostly in the last 30 years, the language of the human body has been catalogued by talented experts and can be learned as a conscious activity. It takes alertness and attention to detail. Fortunately, aspies have those qualities in spades.

What research? Where can I find the results of this research? The article gives a few examples of body language, but I've never seen a full and lengthy list about how human body language works and how you can express certain things with it or read the body language of someone else. Is there such a list available somewhere freely on the internet?

Thanks!

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2005, 7:21 pm

This website - [link] - is rather interesting, and might be of some help.

momofanspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2005, 8:59 pm

Louise wrote:
This website - [link] - is rather interesting, and might be of some help.

very interesting site

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2005, 1:51 am

hybrid wrote:
What research? Where can I find the results of this research? The article gives a few examples of body language, but I've never seen a full and lengthy list about how human body language works and how you can express certain things with it or read the body language of someone else. Is there such a list available somewhere freely on the internet?

What is your intention with the research? If you want to learn the vocabulary of body language in order to practice it, then the recommended readings at the end of the article are a very good place to start. There are dozens of other books written to help you learn and practice body language recognition.

These books are an amalgamation of many scholarly results on behavioral science and body language. They distill the essence needed to recognize many different kinds of behaviors and to project the same.

If you are interested in the scholarly works themselves for research, then you can consult the bibliography of the books.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe