sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 10:47 am

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 11:13 am

I think Dr. Attwood's great. His emotional interest in people on the spectrum and desire to help strikes me as extremely geniune.

I can't agree more with the part about first imperssions. It's too true in my case. I pretty much make up my mind about people as soon as I meet them. My intuition is usually correct there, even though it fails me in other areas. :lol:

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 6:32 pm

Thank you Ken G. I cannot speak highly enough of Tony Attwood because my grandsons live close to his clinic in Brisbane. Two distraught and at times suicidal little boys are now content and proud to be aspergers because of counselling they have had at his clinic.

Robyn

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 6:47 pm

I've read his book. Interesting seeing him being interviewed here! Thanks! :D

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 8:28 pm

I adore him!! ! Every 2 years he comes to a huge Autism Symposium in Toronto and I drop everything to go. It's three days long and I never miss out on his seminars. This past fall I was standing on a street corner, and I looked up and there he was. We were staying at the same hotel so we chatted a wee bit on our way back. He's so intuitive and comical. Great guy. I think my favourite thing about him is that he teaches people to look beyond the symptoms of Autism and make them see the individual behind them. He has always said that there's nothing wrong with Aspies, it's the Neurotypicals who've got it all messed up. :wink:

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2009, 5:22 pm

I'm slowly reading through his Complete Guide so it's good to see and hear a video of him. Also interesting to spot when the occasional Australian intonation merges into the otherwise English accent :-)

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 12:05 pm

Tony Attwood wrote:
And i have to keep seeing such individuals because they are my professors, i learn more from them than i do from any research article or book.

QFT

Reading books and articles about autism is like reading descriptions of colors, you still know nothing until you see/analize for yourself.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 6:26 am

:) PROF TONY ATTWOOD ROCKS!! HE LISTENS .......................TO US ON THE SPECTRUM, not only that but he acts on what he has learned!!

I personally wouldn't hear a word against him. He can do NO wrong in MY eyes!!

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 11:13 pm

He is a dedecated man trying to disspell the "myths" about AS.
His Complete Guide should be the AS Bible. 8) 8)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 10:54 pm

Tony's ***hot*** in the Wrong Planet tee! :heart:

Lab Pet loves Dr. Attwood.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 10:59 pm

my AS psych was part of the Minds and Hearts (attwood's clinic) team for years.
THe whole approach is about living OK in the world and building on our assets and learning really great stuff.
It is NOT about dispelling with or discarding our autism, but embracing it in ways that make our lives purposeful, meaningful and a little bit easier.

So Stephen - if you are perusing the hallowed turf of WP -- thanks to you and to attwood and the whole mob.
you have saved my life. :)

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

When I first heard of him it was in some text on Maxine Aston's web site, I have a great distrust of Maxine's work but I think that Tony Attwood is a solid good researcher who is an expert on AS.

I read one of his books and I thought it was very good, I changed my view of the man and I view him as one of the good guys. His "complete guide to AS" is very good, except for one chapter. The chapter on love and the aspie used data obtained by Ms Aston, after reading her output I can not trust her to give an evenhanded account of the topic. I think that Tony should replace her with a better source when he writes the next edition of his book.

To be short Tony gets a 10 out of 10, Maxine gets 0 out of 10 from me.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 11:21 pm

nannarob wrote:
Thank you Ken G. I cannot speak highly enough of Tony Attwood because my grandsons live close to his clinic in Brisbane. Two distraught and at times suicidal little boys are now content and proud to be aspergers because of counselling they have had at his clinic.

Robyn

You're an awesome grandmother - your grandsons are very lucky :flower:

Dr. Attwood is a pioneer with HFA/AS and redefining autism - this is good.

bloop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2009, 3:45 pm

fernando wrote:
analize

*snigger*

sorry to lower the tone ;)

continue...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 4:38 pm

bloop wrote:
fernando wrote:
analize

*snigger*

sorry to lower the tone ;)

continue...

you didn't lower the tone, you reminded us that gratuitous critisism reflects more on the person making the observation than on the person making the mistake.

Merle