Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 7:31 pm

deleted.

Last edited by starvingartist on 31 Jan 2009, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 7:37 pm

Nice straw man. I'm not going to bother with this.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 7:47 pm

Well, the provision of health care isn't the restriction so much as the funding mechanism and how the funding mechanism would cause government health care to interact with a health care market.

I mean, the increase in taxes seems to be a restriction of rights by it's nature. The creation of a system by the government for the purposes of destroying/completely undermining competition also seems problematic from a freedom standpoint as well. Of course, there are different views of freedom and government interaction with freedom, however, it would seem as if government provision would have a negative impact. This is not to say that the current system is good, however, an analytical frame must be taken to exist for your question to be meaningful, and I would think that the claim that a freedom reduction exists seems to make sense.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 8:23 pm

starvingartist wrote:
how many of you really believe that a government that provides health care to it's citizens is restricting their rights by not allowing large insurance corporations to gouge them and deny them coverage when they get sick?

I think the system taken to its logical conclusion will lead to a form of rationing of medical care. We will end up like England or Canada.

ruveyn

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 10:23 pm

Orwell wrote:
Nice straw man. I'm not going to bother with this.

i am asking this question because someone said this to me on another thread. i'm sorry if i offended with my ignorance.

*edit*

i seem to do that a lot here.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 9:12 pm

ruveyn wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
how many of you really believe that a government that provides health care to it's citizens is restricting their rights by not allowing large insurance corporations to gouge them and deny them coverage when they get sick?

I think the system taken to its logical conclusion will lead to a form of rationing of medical care. We will end up like England or Canada.

ruveyn

oh no oh no death panels for grandma Beatrice :roll:

yes I have a sniffle I want to see the best surgens NOW! using the most expensive drugs available :roll:

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 10:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

ruveyn

Oh no, not England or Canada! Anything but that!

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 11:07 pm

^^^^^

my thoughts exactly Canada beats the usa in all almost all areas that matter considering the economic mess the usa is in it even beats it on a per capita gdp to ! !

Richest country in the world my eye , Switzerland, Norway , Qatar , Australia, Canada and so on and so forth....

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 2:25 am

I'm pretty liberal, and actually a former Democratic organizer, but I thought that the debate over the ACA was pretty dishonest.

If you read the local paper in my city, you would have thought that the poor were uncovered, but Minnesota actually had an excellent augmented Medicaid program as well as a high-risk pool for people who made too much to qualify. I know that several other states had similar programs.

I'm also cynical because housing usually takes a bigger bite than private health insurance did - sometimes by two- or three-fold - and most public policy is aimed at raising property prices.

As for 20-something "invincibles", if they stepped-up to support the system, they'd be the only responsible age-group.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Mar 2014, 5:45 am

What's up with the five year bump?

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 6:41 am

The_Walrus wrote:
What's up with the five year bump?

their still here ...