Another Q for Parents of AS/ASD toddler/child :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

2PreciousSouls
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2009, 1:12 am

Just interested to know what sort of "little" things your ASD child likes to have done the same way each time?

My DS has quite a few, but here are the main things he is very particular about;

DS must have "two" lights on when showering, shower mat must be on the floor, and water must be warm (even in summer)

DS must have Red colour straw in his sippy cup...And he will only drink milk from it... (Heaven forbid if water goes in it :)) He has a different cup "blue one" for water.

Daddy must lock ALL THREE door locks on his way out the door for work, if hubby misses one DS is hysterical.

Dinner table must be straight for him to eat dinner.

His sauce must sit in a certain position on the Dinner plate

Ice Blocks must be cut up into 1cm pieces

when going out in the car, my daughter must be put in first then DS

Thomas train tracks must be set up exactly the same way each time

Must have 5 dummies when going to bed.... Heaven forbid if one goes missing :)

Just to name a few....

Last edited by 2PreciousSouls on 03 Feb 2009, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 9:23 am

son had to watch THe Lion King every day at naptime- and every day, he'd hide his head at the scary parts....
I had to drive the same way to get to the store or library.
foods could not touch.
he could not go to sleep without music on.

jessicaP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2009, 9:55 am

My son's new thing:
Before getting out from the bathtub, splash on the edge must be wiped away with THE blue sponge. After getting out, wipe again.
Sometimes I wipe it for him, sometimes I let him wipe.

My son can't tolerate doors left ajar. Doors have to be either open or close. Cabinet doors have to be close.

koadah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Feb 2009, 12:06 pm

Are dads allowed to answer too? ;)

2PreciousSouls
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2009, 4:23 pm

Koadah; Absolutely!! I'll change the heading :)

I can relate to the door thing also, my son always closes doors!

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 2:16 pm

Sounds right to me. Mind you, there's also OCD that might lead to these things, but I think with OCD there's generally something in the person's mind that will happen if a certain behavior is not performed, whereas with AS, well, you just want it how you want it, dunno why. I think. I apparently have AS as does my son (apparently, again) but I still dunno whether we are just... peculiar... to the rest of the average population. To be sure we are indeed... peculiar...

He's 7 now and wants things the way he wants them, and will have hysterics if we do not allow him to have what he wants, but that just seems bratty to me at the time. Thing is, we have rules that he knows well but if he misbehaves in school and has his DS taken away, for example, he will often still flip his lid as though we did it arbitrarily. AS or bratty tantrum? Who knows?

Yours sound a LOT more clear cut.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

2PreciousSouls
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2009, 8:18 pm

irishwhistle wrote:
Sounds right to me. Mind you, there's also OCD that might lead to these things, but I think with OCD there's generally something in the person's mind that will happen if a certain behavior is not performed

Yes, I know what you mean here...

My DS who's almost 4 has been extremely fussy wanting things done a certain way for some time now.... Things I'm sure a 2yo wouldnt even think of IYKWIM. But from what I can tell with him, his wanting the "sameness" and being extemely fussy doesnt seem to be a mind game for him if that makes sense.
DS is also a "my way or the highway" type of personality.
He also does not know when to stop ie when laying on his sister thinking its funny... She's screaming and crying and no matter how much i pull him away from her or tell him to get off, he just keeps going back for more... very frustrating for all.

Thanks for your reply, it was an interesting read.