03 Feb 2009, 1:42 pm

Twelve zeroes o_O
now 1 billion = 1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7865259.stm

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 2:04 pm

Does this mean that inflation is under control over there?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 2:06 pm

Quite the contrary.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 2:07 pm

So it's just another case of Mugabe being an idiot?

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 3:45 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

So, in other words, he's just the same as always?
Seriously, that prick needs a bullet to his head. That's the way to remove him from power!
Otherwise, he just keeps on rigging those elections!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 4:00 pm

I can see it now...

Quote:
gretings ferinds!

i am mantula mugabe, brothr-en-law and cuzsin to prrisdent mugabe, who as yo kno had a billyun dolers devalud frum zimbabwe.

i found the lost muney in an abandund dumpstir and i need yuor help geting it frum the cuontry..;.

Deja Vu all over again!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 4:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
I can see it now...

Quote:
gretings ferinds!

i am mantula mugabe, brothr-en-law and cuzsin to prrisdent mugabe, who as yo kno had a billyun dolers devalud frum zimbabwe.

i found the lost muney in an abandund dumpstir and i need yuor help geting it frum the cuontry..;.

Deja Vu all over again!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 5:03 pm

No Tim Tex, what this means is that the government has devalued the dollar to the point where they have taken off 12 0's. This means that inflation is wilder than every there.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 5:43 pm

Getting an inflation of this extent under control needs quite different measurements; it would need a reorganization of the way money is created by the central bank.

The classic example is the German currency reform of November 1923, when inflation in Germany was quite in the region of today's Zimbabwe. The very first step was for a new government to stop all political payments (Streseman became chancellor in August 1923 and stopped the so-called "Ruhrkampf"), the next step was to found a new central bank ("Rentenbank"), which was only allow to issue currency up to certain amount which was related formally via a government mortgage on all German real estates and industrial investments to real economy. Therefore this new central bank could not be abused by the government any longer to "pay" for the government with the printing press. Later in 1924 this rules were slightly altered, so that some bond and letter of exchange could be used to backup the issuing of money, but in a quite restricted manner.

So the the amount of money of this new currency was related to the real production and value of gods on the market. This worked very well till 1933, when Hitler started to use the printing press again for financing his preparations to war.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 7:47 pm

At most Mugabe simply created the illusion of deflation, an illusion which will vanish very quickly

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 7:50 pm

Well, if you can shed 12 zeroes to make 1 billion = 1, then it is probably time to shed 12 zeroes because a million dollars would be 1 quadrillion. That would be tedious.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 7:51 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:
At most Mugabe simply created the illusion of deflation, an illusion which will vanish very quickly

The problem is that Mugabe must give up his control of the central bank to stop the inflation and must start to set-up a budget, which is not based on the printing press - and such measurements are not dictator-like.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:17 am

once again a country suffers because of the governemnt making a drastic decision, when will it stop?

the problem is that this could happen anywhere as long as the government or people in power choose it, with banks on the verge of collapse some people will want to withdraw everything and yet the risks are the same.

keep money in the bank and then they shut down, you loose everything.
withdraw money and then the currency changes, you still loose everything!

how come it's always the people that suffer and never those that allowed the country to become the cesspit it is today?

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 1:29 pm

Ishmael wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Seriously, that prick needs a bullet to his head. That's the way to remove him from power!

I'm no fan of that man either, but I must tell you this - Most Africans LOVE HIM!

I know quite a few Tanzanian guys. I asked them about what they feel regarding Mugabe. And they all told me that he's a great man, like how Charles Taylor was. They completely support him, and assert that Morgan Tsvangirai is a western puppet. They believe everything Mugabe says - that all of Zimbabwe's problems are caused by the west. Now, I haven't met with people from Zimbabwe, till date. However, my friend's mother worked for UNICEF, and spent a whole year in Zimbabwe. My friend told me that although 50% of Zimbabwe is poor, most of the poor love Mugabe. He's a knight in shining armour, as far as they are concerned.

Did you ever think that most Germans hated Hitler prior to his defeat? They LOVED him. He was their saviour.

It's no different from what Barrack Obama is to America and most black people, except a few like James David Manning.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 12:44 am

Fnord wrote:
I can see it now...

Quote:
gretings ferinds!

Deja Vu all over again!

:lmao:

Shadow50
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Feb 2009, 1:30 am

Ishmael wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Unfortunately, good cannot defeat this kind of evil, it takes a meaner kind of evil, and then what are you left with?

But having said that, I do agree with the bullet solution.