Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 10:34 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Here is what he said to me on youtube:

Quote:
Yeah, this is just satire. I made this video as a statement about people who just use aspergers as a get out of life free card.
I don't really think one person is better than another just because of their shortcomings or lack there of.
It doesn't seem satirical. And people will take it to be serious.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 10:34 pm

whipstitches wrote:
Click here to watch this guy talk about his video

Just look at this guy!! I'm sorry, but he is just trying to cover his butt.
He comes off as a douchebag.

Demonique
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2009, 1:25 pm

Sea_of_Saiyan wrote:
I think that he was deliberately trying to be offensive.

Definately, and he succeeded if the comments from butthurt Aspies is anything to go by.

I wouldn't worry so much about the video as I'd worry about some of the comments. Way to go to protray Aspies in a bad light. One commenter threatened to rip the poster's head off and s**t down his throat, only to succeed in making himself look bad

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2009, 2:17 pm

I actually clicked the link to report the video clip. I said I felt that it was promoting "hate or violence towards a group or individual" (that is the pre-selected comment they had available on the pull down menu). I also commented on why I felt that way. I basically made a comment or two to the effect of "no one complains when people self diagnose themselves with depression and that is a serious mental health issue" or something along those lines.... I am self diagnosed just because it will take a year to see the doctor in my country. However, my therapist seems to be in agreement that I have AS. I guess that is why this really upset me so much. There are reasons why people don't get formal diagnosis for things. Not just AS. Ya know? I mean... what about people with no insurance? What about people whose insurance won't cover anything related to mental health? There are just so many things to consider. That is why I feel that they guy is just trying to cover his butt by claiming it to be satire. :roll:

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2009, 2:18 pm

I actually clicked the link to report the video clip. I said I felt that it was promoting "hate or violence towards a group or individual" (that is the pre-selected comment they had available on the pull down menu). I also commented on why I felt that way. I basically made a comment or two to the effect of "no one complains when people self diagnose themselves with depression and that is a serious mental health issue" or something along those lines.... I am self diagnosed just because it will take a year to see the doctor in my country. However, my therapist seems to be in agreement that I have AS. I guess that is why this really upset me so much. There are reasons why people don't get formal diagnosis for things. Not just AS. Ya know? I mean... what about people with no insurance? What about people whose insurance won't cover anything related to mental health? There are just so many things to consider. That is why I feel that they guy is just trying to cover his butt by claiming it to be satire. :roll:

21 Feb 2009, 4:58 pm

Too many people use AS as a crutch. That's what the video was about he said.

I do get sick of those people and have a good laugh when they get made fun of.

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2009, 5:47 pm

People use lots of things as a "crutch", but there are still people who are not doing so and those people shouldn't have to fear the judgement of others. Seriously! I wouldn't tell a sole that I have AS (diagnosis or not) for fear that I would be made fun of or for fear that someone would think that I am somehow "ret*d" or "defective". Obviously, online I am unknown and therefore do not have such fears for that reason..... I just think it is a crock of crap that people can do that. If I went on Youtube and made a video about how I think native people, or black people or women or whatever... are just using their minority status to get a free ride; people would be in an unproar. I don't actually think any of this, but if I did and I made a sartirical video about it there would be a lot of complaints. I don't think that this guys Youtube video is any different. That is all I am saying...... :o

DarkestShadow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2010, 4:34 pm

idiot, i wonder why he didn't use his actually face, maybe because it is uglier than that thing

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Sep 2010, 8:08 pm

MONKEY wrote:
this is satire, and I found it quite amusing and not at all offensive.
you've got to laugh at yourself sometimes lifes too short to be serious all the time

I did not watch the entire video---I turned it off in disgust.

You found it amusing? And you know what---it may have been satire as you said. Although I can make humorous comments, I am challenged when it comes to understanding others' humor---such as this video. I saw it as a person making fun of us in an insulting way and trying to put us down. But I will put trust in your interpretation that it was only satire and not meant to be offensive, although I am still offended by it. But yet I often laugh at satire aimed at other people like politicians, etc. Hmmm, that's something for me to think about.

Monkey---I decided to use your quote because of the last part of your quote---about life being too short to be serious all the time. As a child I used to hear my parents and others tell me, "you are too serious," or "that was just a joke." You are right, life is too short. We have to laugh sometimes don't we?

And now, it is interesting because I am in the process of writing an autobiography about my childhood with Asperger's. I have been taking a slightly humorous approach with some of the things that happened to me---nothing of which would be taken disrespectfully (I hope).

Yes, life is too short. I once listened to a great speaker by the name of Carl Hurley (you can find him on youtube). He is claimed to be the world's funniest professor. I laughed at his stories about his life. He says, "You might as well laugh." He claims laughter as a medicine to make us feel good.

So thank you for your suggestion of finding humor in ourselves Monkey. I agree.

But I still find the video offensive.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 1:36 pm

Sea_of_Saiyan wrote:
If that guy is trying to accurately display Asperger's, then why does he have a wall-eyed guy with a "slow" sounding voice talking about it?

I think that he was deliberately trying to be offensive.

That's what people in my class are like. They pass making fun of people (along with slapstick) as "humor", and they say I'm humorless, boring, and archaic. Last year, to an eighth grader and my best friend, I was a comedian (mostly because of the subtle, allusionary humor and humor involving me running away, being the weakest of the three). Now that I'm in the "shark" grade, as some people call it, I have no sense of humor. But what they call humor, I call it harrassment. If I were allowed to, I would describe my thoughts about what it's like to have Asperger's.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:31 pm

His voice was kinda annoying in the video. Is this really satire because I just found it boring. The only bit that amused me was when he said "don't getting jokes". :lol:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:42 pm

Yeah I don't know, the only thing that disturbed me about it was the dude's face and looping "animation". Also I feel like you'd have to be insanely high to find that funny. But if that offended you, frankly I think you need to learn to laugh these things off a little. People are going to say far, far worse things.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2010, 6:57 pm

The video may have been meant to be funny, but I still find it distasteful. And I do laugh at a lot of things---but this wasn't funny to me. It was annoying and offensive sounding to me. I feel the person making it was intending to make fun of us---not laugh with us.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 7:04 pm

Annoying, but nothing to get your girdle in a knot over.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2010, 7:08 pm

Meadow wrote:

Don't worry about me, I don't wear a girdle to get in a knot anyway :lol: .

I'm definitely not worrying about the video. There's tons of stuff making fun of everybody anyway. But the OP wanted to know our opinion. I never even watched the whole video---too boring and poorly done. Honestly, the only person that looks bad is the person who made it.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 7:19 pm

glider18 wrote:
Meadow wrote:

Don't worry about me, I don't wear a girdle to get in a knot anyway :lol: .

I'm definitely not worrying about the video. There's tons of stuff making fun of everybody anyway. But the OP wanted to know our opinion. I never even watched the whole video---too boring and poorly done. Honestly, the only person that looks bad is the person who made it.

I couldn't watch much either, sensory thing, but I agree. You can't take people like that seriously.