How asperger's affects being a medical student

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

styphon
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2009, 3:44 pm

I am in my third year of medical school and we have had a few tests with "standardized patients", people paid to act in a certain way and to respond to us with predetermined answers(like the episode of Seinfeild), we are then scored in different areas. For example: How much of the history we were able to extract, how our physical exam skills where, how will we determined, explained, and treated the problem in question.

Here is the catch: We have an area called "Communication skills": asking about feelings and concerns, showing consideration for patient comfort, proper hygiene during examinations, providing empathy and respect for the simulated patient. I sadly have been the lowest in my class 4 out of the 5 standardized patient tests. Once, I tried changing about 15 things, like stop shaking my leg, make more eye contact, get closer to patient while talking, leaning forward to pretend I am interesed, recap what the person said and I still was the lowest in class.

I was advised by a professor that some Dr's believe there is only ONE personality fit for medicine, and I lack it, and to expect low grades in the Communication/Empathy areas until I practice on my own.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:53 pm

Man! That sucks. I really want to be a pediatrician too.

Gainer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2009, 4:17 pm

I have no idea on whether or not you are asking for help but here goes. If you are not asking then don't read further.

I have had to teach a lot of students, skydiving wise, and at first the instructors kept on saying that I don't communicate with my students. Later on these comments led me to a sever amount of stress and I could not get my rating. that was in 2003. In 2007 I tried again this time with a few new tricks. One was always end a debriefing with a compliment that way the person feels good, another is making that person think for themselves or explain something that they can understand. So where does this put you???

YOU are the doctor, THEY are the patient. Firstly think how do I want you want your doctor treating you? Secondly like I said you know stuff, like a cough means that, fever means that, etc. So ask questions with an answer already in your mind, so that when he answer you you know what the answer is and you look good. Thirdly be yourselves, ask about them, even if you find it the most boring thing in the world, ask. That way they feel more open to you. Fourth don't change too much, at most 1 thing at a time, you will make mistakes, and think of practice sessions as I MAKE MISTAKES NOW. I did that for the world meet and hey I did great, figured out all my mistake before competition/test time. Fifth and last be confident in yourself, believe in your theory, training, etc. if you, how can your patient believe in you or your professor, know and acknowledge that you will make mistakes, like I said YOU are the doctor, the know it all and you need the information. ask questions that you think are important and make a list of questions and ask confidently.

Hope this help in some weird disturbing way

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 4:24 pm

I wouldn't worry about it, I just finished reading Michael Chrichton's autobiography (he finished training but didn't practice) and that would be the least of your worries. There's some appalling people out there who would probably be very good in the social dept.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 4:29 pm

Gainer wrote:
Secondly like I said you know stuff, like a cough means that, fever means that, etc. So ask questions with an answer already in your mind, so that when he answer you you know what the answer is and you look good.

I thought some of the other advice in Gainer's post was good, but not this piece specifically (sorry, Gainer). What if the person doesn't just have a cold, or the flu, or whatever? What if what they have, is not the illness which immediately comes to mind when you hear their list of symptoms? Assuming that you know the answer before you ask the question might lead to missing important clues which might suggest an alternative diagnosis, or it might lead to placing too much significance on some symptoms, and not enough on others.

Plus, if you are asking questions while focusing on anticipating the patient's response in order to look smart, you are removing focus from the patient. Patients want to feel that they are the center of your attention, and that you are really listening to them. Don't interrupt them or finish their sentences, and don't make any assumptions about how they are feeling. Focus on the patient like they are the only thing you care about. Focusing on looking "good" is more likely to reduce your social interaction score rather than enhance it.
Also, if you ask leading questions, such as "Would you say that the pain is sharp?" rather than open-ended ones like "Can you describe the pain for me?", the patient may be less likely to give an accurate answer. You want to be careful not to suggest specific symptoms to them- people can be very suggestible, and inaccurate reporting of symptoms will just confuse diagnosis.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 5:44 pm

I HATE doctors that lean in(And they proved about 100 YEARS ago that it is a BAD practice from a health standpoint!), and shaking a leg is FINE if they GET TO THE POINT. I can't believe they will basically destroy your life and career because of their STUPID beliefs! Anyone that puts THEIR enjoyment of your presentation over knowledge and cure doesn't DESERVE to be cured!! !! !! ! Let them enjoy their kid at home for FREE!

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 8:22 pm

I agree, leaning in too much is just annoying.

Whenever possible, do try to watch others, and look for the patient's reaction. If the patient seems comfortable, then you may want to imitate the technique. Don't be afraid to do what other people do.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 9:41 pm

It's my belief that Aspies are not meant to be in certain fields. Family medicine is one of them, oncology another. Other fields of medicine would be better suited to us- surgery and dermatology come to mind immediately, as does infectious disease. The difficult human interaction aspect of these is less as is the "reading between the lines" required to elicit a history and to develop the doctor-patient relationship. We can achieve anything we want, but finding the right fit is so important. There are so many different aspects of medicine. You can get through this part. Chances are good that the rest of your classmates are nervous also.
There is not "only ONE personality fit for medicine" any more than there is only one personality.