Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:09 am

Padium wrote:
For me, I would say the social interaction, most other things that are present, even the sensory issues, for me aren't as bad as the social. On top of that is the fact that I am still sentient and realize that I am not like everyone else, and unable to ever truly be like everyone else, and if I were not able to realize this and feel the difference it wouldn't be so bad. Anyways, the social aspects is the worst part for me. I do have some mild sensory issues, but for the most part, I can live with them. As for other things, I can't think of too many others right now, so they must not be that bad... As for special interest type things, that is the passion for which I live, so I would rate that as a good thing.

^This and being misconstrued while interacting.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:29 am

Social Interaction and maturity level

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2009, 11:35 am

Having lots of crazy, deep thoughts that can only come out of having spare time spent not socializing to share and no-one outside of the internet to share them with. :(

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:39 am

Whatsherhame wrote:
Having lots of crazy, deep thoughts that can only come out of having spare time spent not socializing to share and no-one outside of the internet to share them with. :(

So true...

Marco67
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2009, 7:42 pm

Greentea wrote:
Marco, I know what you mean. It's what happens to me if I ever do have a friend.

Hi Greentea,

Thanks!

Marco

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 7:53 pm

And I forgot to say...welcome to WP ! !! :)

bistromathics
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2009, 8:16 pm

Nonverbal communication, and difficulty with humor. It's like there's this whole sub-channel of information that I don't transmit or receive on by default, and if I do tune into the nonverbal channel, I'll miss the verbal content. It feels like such a chore to have a friendly conversation with an NT because of this, and I must have driven so many people off because of this. And the anxiety generated by this, just makes things so much more of a struggle.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 10:05 am

I would say making friends has been my worst aspect as i find it quite tough.

jessimus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2009, 10:19 am

Padium wrote:
CyndiAn wrote:
The worst thing for me is not havig anyone to discuss my deeper thought with about the science that I love so very much.

Yeah, NTs seem to be scared off by deep thought, I have only met a few that like deeper thinking...
i prefer conversation that makes me think. lol im pretty sure im NT. deep thought is my playground and im the little kid who pushes most others off the monkey bars lol. :wink:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 10:21 am

amplified sensory irritation is the worst aspect.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 12:35 pm

Padium wrote:
Whatsherhame wrote:

So true...

I know *plays violin*

cman_yall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2009, 12:45 pm

pakled wrote:
convincing the missus that it's not a 'crutch'....

And so what if it is? Would you take a crutch away from someone with a broken leg?

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 1:49 pm

Sensory issues - ears, bright light. Oddly, I'll eat pretty much anything.

The ears are the worst. My husband and his family is very loud. My daughter's voice can be like nails on the chalkboard - I think she's learned which pitch will send me into a freak out. She knows I can't ignore it. Vicious cycle.

Must wear sunglasses. Very picky about lighting.

Also, I can't understand people unless what they say is succinct, clear, interesting and I can see their face and gestures. I am virtually useless on the phone. I just spent about 10 minutes on the phone with a customer service center in India. Nothing against the good people of India, but I was close to tears. I had such a hard time understanding her. I had to close my eyes. I'd do a lot better in person. And actually, I love Indian accents!

My inlaws are from the US South and are VERY hard for me to understand. Their grammar is sketchy, they pronounce words wrong, they have all kinds of dumb sayings...

I find myself nodding and smiling a lot of the time. That sucks.

This inability to understand speech nearly killed me in school and even today I completely zone out if I'm not 100% capitvated by what people say. My friends like to tease me.. Ha ha real funny.

It was a huge relief to find out I was aspie and that there is a name for this condition: Auditory Processing Disorder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_p ... g_disorder

"What was the middle thing?"

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 2:08 pm

MmeLePen wrote:
Also, I can't understand people unless what they say is succinct, clear, interesting and I can see their face and gestures. I am virtually useless on the phone. I just spent about 10 minutes on the phone with a customer service center in India. Nothing against the good people of India, but I was close to tears. I had such a hard time understanding her. I had to close my eyes. I'd do a lot better in person. And actually, I love Indian accents!

About a month ago I had to reinstall windows for my dad. He could not remember where he put his disc with windows on it (boot disc), and had me call the company that sold him the computer. I call, and I get customer service for an American company in India. I could barely understand what they were saying, and even worse than that was that they couldn't understand what I was saying. I need a boot disc for my computer, I am willing to pay for the disc... No I don't need the software, I just need a copy of the disc that came with my computer... No, that's alright, I will get it from one of my other sources.*hangs up*

Needless to say, I downloaded it from my university as one of the softwares they provide student with free of charge, and installed that. I have a very very hard time understanding people with heavy accents that are caused by a person's first language not being english. I can understand UK and Aussie accents fine, I can generally do the French, I struggle with most other accents.

The person I was on the phone with had a milder accent, so it wasn't as bad as it could be. I have a friend that had a telemarketer call him from an Indian call centre, he said a couple of phrases that all of the people with English as a first language would understand "I didn't catch that last statement" for example, and the guy on the other end would pause for a moment, and then go on with his script. He couldn't understand enough of our idioms to be talking to him over the phone. My friend, who actually cared about the service he was selling, as it was from his phone provider who he was making changes with, hung up out of frustration.

I think it is great that western comnpanies are giving people opportunities to work where there are limited jobs, but give them opportunities that are better for everyone involved. The guy he was speaking to had a harder time understanding my friend than my friend with him, he would have been better employed calling other people in his own country. On that note, I also would not open a phone centre in Brittain to call people in the US or Canada, simply because of the barrier created by the accent. Nor would I open a call centre in Canada or the US to call the UK.

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2009, 2:11 pm

social anxiety and being **** at socializing

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 2:41 pm

The social isolation that comes with being different and lacking social skills. I also hate how I'm unable to initiate conversations or participate in conversations that involve many people.