Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

smartguy47
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2009, 9:30 am

I personally believe that people develop autism long before their symptoms are present, thus parents were being misled into believing that the shots caused their child's autism; it is simply that the symptoms did not become present until a later age and that the vaccine happened to simply to be a coincidence at that time whereby the parents thought there was a link revolving around that source.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Feb 2009, 10:47 am

autism and aspergers are determined in the womb when the fetus is exposed to higher than usual levels of testosterone-its entirely natural and has been going on since humans have existed.
There is NO link to vaccines or mercury and nobody is to `blame`.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:22 am

agmoie wrote:
autism and aspergers are determined in the womb when the fetus is exposed to higher than usual levels of testosterone-its entirely natural and has been going on since humans have existed.

The fetal testosterone thing is Baron-Cohen's current pet theory, and there may indeed be some link there, but it also has a significant genetic component. Autism shows a higher heritability than any other psychological disorder, including OCD, ADHD, schizophrenia, depression, etc, and this indicates a very strong genetic basis for autism.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:36 am

The whole vaccine thing still reminds me of the medieval European legend of the changeling, an elfin child swapped out for one's "real" baby around the age of two. At least the vaccine activists aren't telling us to leave the odd child in a forest clearing in hopes Autism will bring the real baby back...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:37 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
The whole vaccine thing still reminds me of the medieval European legend of the changeling, an elfin child swapped out for one's "real" baby around the age of two. At least the vaccine activists aren't telling us to leave the odd child in a forest clearing in hopes Autism will bring the real baby back...

But they are telling us to leave children susceptible to dangerous and easily preventable illnesses.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:39 am

Autism is caused by mothers who eat pickles & ice cream during the pregnancy.

:lol:

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 1:58 pm

Not to toot my own horn (too much), but I recently posted a blog entry about parents who believe that vaccines "damaged" their child, and make YouTube videos to "prove their point." Short version: these videos serve only to confirm pre-existing beliefs and are insulting and dehumanizing towards autistic people.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 10:02 pm

i love vaccines!

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 10:56 pm

I don't think vaccines cause autism. Environmental stresses and degradation cause autism.

Why are so many of us autistic or becoming aspies when our moms and dads don't usually have AS? I don't know the situation in more developed countries like the US but in some developing countries like mine, autism is a phenomenon that only occurs just pretty recently. I see an explosion of cases of AS and autism from one in about 10,000 to one in about 50! Frightening! And this is within just a generation...

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:09 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
I don't think vaccines cause autism. Environmental stresses and degradation cause autism.

Why are so many of us autistic or becoming aspies when our moms and dads don't usually have AS? I don't know the situation in more developed countries like the US but in some developing countries like mine, autism is a phenomenon that only occurs just pretty recently. I see an explosion of cases of AS and autism from one in about 10,000 to one in about 50! Frightening! And this is within just a generation...

mine was caused by my pirate abduction

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:13 pm

Let's join Somalia's pirate forces and snatch our own oil for money in revenge...:P

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 1:04 am

Eggman wrote:
i love vaccines!

I do too. Without vaccines and other aspects of modern medicine I would almost certainly be dead many times over by now.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 1:43 pm

agmoie wrote:

Sorry hun testosterone has not been proven reason some are autistic while others are not *kiss*

So time to flip the discussion back :mrgreen: smartguy47 your right vaccines don't cause autism, they never did and never will but until people call parents out for being irresponsible putting their children and all of us at risk nothing will change :wink: So sweetie start shouting it with all your might that the irresponsibility of parents is unacceptable and must change *kiss*

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 2:27 pm

Eggman wrote:
i love vaccines!

So do I, as my parents talked about how scary the polio epidemic was as they lived through it. I had the mumps even though I was fully vaccinated, but I think I had a milder case as a result of having the vaccine. As for my Asperger's, I was born that way so vaccines had nothing to do with it.

I would rather have the vaccines than have polio or some other disease return as an epidemic.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 3:55 pm

It seems part of the fear is based on maybe parents thinking the worst that can happen to their kid bt not getting them is just being sick enogh to miss school a week, not having to live in an iron lund the rest of your life

koryna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2009, 5:52 pm

I believe that autism is purely genetic. My mom, a family studies and parenting teacher, noticed that both my brother and I displayed non-neurologically-typical characteristics VERY early on. (strangely enough, the doctors dismissed her, thinking that she was paranoid). We've also noticed many autistic traits with my mom's brother and mother and father. Not entirely sure about my dad's side. He, at least, is fairly aspie.

I also think that the statistics for autism is going up, not because there are more of us, but because fairly recently there is more understanding and early diagnosis being made. So it LOOKS like there's suddenly more of us.