Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What would you rather have ASD stand for?
Autism Spectrum Disorders 68%  68%  [ 17 ]
Autism Spectrum Differences 32%  32%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 25

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

Location: A frozen baron wasteland, me and my friend tuk have to watch out for flying frozen hockey pucks Eh!

15 Feb 2009, 10:44 pm

I don't know if this has been posted before so i apologize in advance if it has. I am curious to read people's thoughts on whether or not they would want the term ASD to mean Autism Spectrum Differences instead of Autism Spectrum Disorders.

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2009, 12:18 am

Is there a proposal to rename the disorders of which the spectrum is composed "deveolpmental differences" or just the overall spectrum name?

Or is there no proposal as yet? Personally, it sounds pretty overly PC to me.

Stijn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2009, 1:07 am

I agree. It sounds a bit too politically correct to me as well. I don't feel offended if autism, Aspergers or PDD are called disorders because, frankly, they are and whether the word disorder comes with inbuilt value judgement differs from person to person.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 1:10 am

If you want to ban people from referring to it as a disorder, you better put your money where your mouth is and NEVER request any accommodations at school, government benefits, or other considerations for your ASD.

It's all well and good to say that autism comes with good as well as bad, and this is true. But it falls perfectly into the "social model" of disability- that is, disability is the intersection of the individual and their environment.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 9:28 am

Quote:
1. lack of order or regular arrangement; confusion: Your room is in utter disorder.
2. an irregularity: a disorder in legal proceedings.
3. breach of order; disorderly conduct; public disturbance.
4. a disturbance in physical or mental health or functions; malady or dysfunction: a mild stomach disorder.

I see nothing wrong with the word disorder. I like the fact that society does not view my brain as "orderly".

lau
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 9:38 am

Orwell wrote:
If you want to ban people from referring to it as a disorder, you better put your money where your mouth is and NEVER request any accommodations at school, government benefits, or other considerations for your ASD.

It's all well and good to say that autism comes with good as well as bad, and this is true. But it falls perfectly into the "social model" of disability- that is, disability is the intersection of the individual and their environment.

Pedant here.... I can't resist picking you up on this, Orwell.

First paragraph: "disorder".

Second paragraph: "disability".

The word "disorder" implies that there is something "wrong" with me - that I fail to be in proper "order". That I am somehow broken. I don't much like being called disordered. I don't think I am.

The second word, "disability", particularly when interpreted in its social sense - of finding myself less able to cope within the "normal" range of society's expectations - that I find perfectly acceptable. I'm fine with being called disabled - it is a reasonable description of how I feel.

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

Location: A frozen baron wasteland, me and my friend tuk have to watch out for flying frozen hockey pucks Eh!

16 Feb 2009, 10:19 am

No there is no proposal of yet that would depend on the majority of peoples votes.

The way i see it is that disorder has a negative meaning attached to it. To spread awareness, understanding and acceptance of Autism and Asperger's it would be better to protray/communicate Autism and Asperger's with a positve meaning instead of a negative meaning, but that's just my opinion.

Imagine that someone knows nothing about asperger's or Autism spectrum disorders and then one day that person hears or reads about it and they first thing they hear or read is that its a disorder and their first impression of Asperger's or ASD's is a negative one and they percieve it as strictly a bad thing. I think it would be pretty hard and will take a lot more work at this point to try change their point of view that their are good and bad things about asperger's and ASD's (in trying to gain acceptance from that person). I am making an assumption/somewhat educated guess based on what i know about positve and negative communication and am open to discussing it more or being proven wrong.

I tried to change the second poll option to read Autism Spectrum Disabilites instead of Austism Spectrum Differences but it won't let me. Is there a way to do that?

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2009, 11:21 am

Gaa! Lost my post to busy server!

Oh well. *sigh*

I think that trying to change the terms when they are ultimately controlled by the apa and such is quite an uphill battle.

There is increasing acceptance of people on the spectrum that I believe comes from media campaigns and more importantly mainstreaming special ed. students. Over the long term what people see for themselves of people on the spectrum matter more than the phraseology.

When I speak to people about my son I just say autism or autistic. Spectrum never comes up.

I do think that the ASDs are called disorders for a reason. Development is disordered.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 11:41 am

dalhousie12 wrote:

I tried to change the second poll option to read Autism Spectrum Disabilites instead of Austism Spectrum Differences but it won't let me. Is there a way to do that?

I hope not. It would be pretty meaningless to gather votes for something, then change what those people had vote for to something different.

What you should be able to do is to ADD a voting option.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 11:45 am

BoringAl wrote:

Your "Back" button should work.

BoringAl wrote:
I do think that the ASDs are called disorders for a reason. Development is disordered.

Well, if you'd care to tell me what the correct order for development is?

I suppose I've developed in a different order to most people. Reading the newspapers at age three (as my parents informed me) was fairly unusual. Getting social interactions a little better sorted out, 55 years later, is probably also a little different. :)

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 11:51 am

lau wrote:
dalhousie12 wrote:

I hope not. It would be pretty meaningless to gather votes for something, then change what those people had vote for to something different.

What you should be able to do is to ADD a voting option.

I agree adding a voting option would be better. Thanks for pointing that out. :) How do i add a voting option? I clicked on the edit button for the original post but there was no longer a poll option.

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2009, 12:15 pm

lau wrote:
BoringAl wrote:

Your "Back" button should work.

I don't have the internet for my PC but I have unlimited data on my phone. I do all posting and browsing on a blackberry. The built in browser won't let me quote, and Opera Mini gets very finnicky if I hit a server message, or connection issue. Occassionally the post goes through but generally I lose it. I don't like to think about how much I've typed out on this tiny keyboard and lost... :(

BoringAl wrote:

Well, if you'd care to tell me what the correct order for development is?

I suppose I've developed in a different order to most people. Reading the newspapers at age three (as my parents informed me) was fairly unusual. Getting social interactions a little better sorted out, 55 years later, is probably also a little different. :)[/quote]

You got it exactly there. I know that I was "off" on my development, early for some late or never for other stuff. I am mostly aware of how my son is developing. Disorder definitely fits, as well as disabled. He does not have AS but more severe classic autism but the spectrum is a lot more than just AS and HFA.

It is a bit pedantic but I think that to say that your development is disabled is worse than disordered. Different is accurate but not really a medical condition anymore.

At the end of the day I have a child who needs lots of help and care. Acceptance is critical but not the expense of minimizing his condition.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 12:40 pm

I'd prefer to leave it as it, difference sounds too PC and isn't as catchy get what I mean? The words don't flow when you say it just say it "autism spectrum difference" see it doesn't have that same ring to it
OK Im making no sense here but yeah

Stijn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2009, 1:08 pm

I agree with MONKEY. The impact is lost. "Difference" sounds too...um...casual. Too minor.

For the most part, I'm able to mask my condition and it's been a subconcious survival strategy for a long time. I have a large vocabulary and lack tics or compulsive stimming actions. I once tried to explain to someone I had a lot of difficulty with maintaining eye contact. The person replied with something like: "yeah, I'm sometimes a little shy too. Everybody has his quirks." I immediately thought: "Umm...that's not what I meant."

Of course, this is strictly personal, but for me I like the "disorder"-part. It outlines the fact that behind the compensation strategies are still some very real limitations that are better off being understood, rather than trivialised. For me, using "difference" would probably result in less, rather than more understanding since it would tempt people to brush away my limitations as mere quirks. Oh, and I suppose there's the fact I have no qualms about using the words "disability", "disorder" or "handicap" myself when referring to myself and my own condition. A rose by any other name and all that.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 1:13 pm

I would say that the difference between "disorder" and "difference" is by whether or not one can function independently in society. Therefore, both exist...

Stijn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2009, 1:48 pm

There are a lot of grey areas between the mentally ret*d autistic child who has to be spoon-fed and the well-adjusted adult who has a steady job, lives on his own and has an adequate social network. I can function relatively independently in society...I have a job and live on my own, but still make use of a supportive supervisor to help plan the household chores or apply and approach employers whenever I'm unemployed. I have some traits like difficulty filtering sound, awkward social skills and problems with eye contact and small talk. While I do get by, I'd be lying if I denied those traits are definite inconveniences in life. Would the term "difference" be really that more suitable than "disorder"?